1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip to remember, honor and celebrate my Father, 4/30-5/4 (Live)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Bobbo2009, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Just like the title states, this trip it to remember, honor and celebrate my Father. A little back story before I hit my pre-trip info. My father was diagnosed with lung cancer, one tumor in each lung, in August of last year. He did great on his first sessions of low dose chemo and radiation. Unfortunately, the high dose chemo didn't go so well. In November he had his first, and only, high does chemo treatment with a booster shot the next day. Within 24 hours of that shot he was screaming in pain. He had some other health issues that we all knew of, but they exploded up just after that full dose. He never could recover from it. Back in February, he was admitted to the hospital after a bad fall, hitting his head on the way down. He had a feeding tube put in and things were looking up. He was able to leave the hospital after a few weeks and entered a physical therapy center so they could get him active and get him back home as soon as possible. No one knew at that time that his body was already shutting down. They were talking about him coming home on his birthday. But that weekend things starting turning for him. I spoke with him on Saturday, March 25. He told him he sounded like himself and would be in town the following weekend to see him. That was the last time I ever spoke to him. By Tuesday he was rushed to the ER and that night placed in Hospice. On Wednesday, March 29 at 3:45 pm he passed away. One day after his birthday. I did make it back just in time to sit with him and say goodbye. I couldn't tell if he knew that any of us were there with him. He did wait till my Mother and Aunt had left the room before he passed. It was just me and my Uncle in the room with him.

Wow. That was the first time I had ever typed any of that out. Even though it has just been a month, that was tough. Hopefully I didn't loose any of you with my downer story. It just sucks. Now, on to VEGAS!

I'm leaving tomorrow, 4/30, and returning on Thursday, May 4. I'll be flying with Allegiant out of Peoria, IL. The rates were great, even with the baggage and seating fees. I'll be staying at the Flamingo for all 4 nights. I have a Feb Executive room on a comp for all 4 nights. I stayed in this type of room at almost this same exact time last year. Nice rooms and I love having a fridge.

I'll be solo on Sunday and most of Monday. Monday night, my cousin, G, arrives to help me celebrate Dad. I have some things I would like to do for him. I won't go into great details here, but short list is have a kettle one with just two ice cubes for him, play some Let It Ride, head downtown and do some gambling at MSS, 4Q and the Golden Nugget. Each of those places we enjoyed gambling at over the years. Eat some White Castle (We are all originally from Chicago so get the sliders when we can), lay around the pool and have some sushi.

The plans for me and G are to have a great time, celebrate Dad, and enjoy our nights away from our families. We both have little babies at home so it will be nice to act like an adult again. I'll hit up TAG Bar a lot, the main bar at the Cromwell, play some poker tournaments, smoke a bunch of cigars and try some new restaurants.

Once again, hopefully I haven't lost you to my long winded pretrip ramble. This is probably going to be my therapy session. I plan to do as many live updates as I can. Hopefully a lot more than I did last year. Pics when things look good, or bad. Thanks for reading, sticking around (if I haven't bored you yet) and joining in our celebration of my Dad.

Rob

• Like Like x 12
  2. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So glad for you to go remember & celebrate your Father....the memories are so precious. But, I am very sorry for you loss & all your Father had to go thru. Hope this trip is all you deserve during your grieving process.....enjoy your time & hope you can pull out some nice wins. Looking forward to your updates... :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm very sorry to hear about your father passing...I'm sure he is in much better place without any pain. Yes you deserve this vacation; such an awesome you "honor and celebrate" your dad!!! Now, go have some fun...and go get em $$$$!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are a good son. When you honor your father, you honor his legacy and you bring honor upon yourself.

Have a great time in Vegas! You dad will be with you in spirit.

• Like Like x 6
  5. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been in your shoes as me and dad made several trips a year to Vegas to play poker tournaments ...first trip was hard after he passed but got progressively better with each trip. Have a good time and remember it's ok to shed a tear in vegas, damn sure helped me

• Like Like x 2
  6. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you and your father had good times in LV. Hope this trip give you some sweet memories to make up for your recent loss. I am looking forward to following along!

Solo
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CMUCPA14

CMUCPA14 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Condolences on losing your dad. Your story is similar to mine... I lost my dad back in 2015 to lung cancer. 2 months before he passed, he took me and my brother to Vegas. We had been doing a guys trip of just the three of us for 3 years running, and Vegas was the last one he could make. We had a Bella suite at Venitian (he always wanted to make things worth it when we traveled) so not much has been able to live up to it since.

Anyways, the best way to remember him is to have a blast and enjoy yourself. There's something to be said for your mental health to able to get away and blow off some steam. I'll be following your TR closely. Best of luck!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. biggiesteve

biggiesteve Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following along. Thank you for sharing. I lost my Dad two years ago this month to cancer. He traveled to world in the Air Force but never made it to Vegas. I always thought it would have been right up his alley. Looking forward to your report. Best of luck!

First Trip Back!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @sybgal thanks for the nice words. I know I'll have a good time and I believe I'll hit something big in his memory.

10. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Drewm1972 Thanks and I plan to bring back home some of the money he lost there over the years!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. amk121

amk121 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so sorry about your dad! But I hope you really enjoy your trip- I am following along!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mario's Backroom

Mario's Backroom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bobbo, have fun and good luck! My father, too, died from lung cancer before he and I ever got to take a trip together to Las Vegas. May Lady Luck be with you as well!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry about your dad.

I lost mine 10 months ago and also took a Vegas trip shortly after.

I hope you have a great trip.

Trip with Friends!
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Ladybb9201

Ladybb9201 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for your loss. Celebrate his life.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry about your dad. Thanks and I will. Hopefully it will help. Not afraid to shed a tear.

We did have some great times in Vegas. Hope to make this one as memorable. Thanks!

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your dad. Cancer sure does suck! I'm glad to hear that you three got to go one last time to Vegas together. Always cherish those memories.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your dad. That damn cancer sure has taken many fathers from us here. To bad he didn't get to see Vegas at least once. Thanks and Thanks for his service to our country!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it. Got something special planned on Monday. Everyone here will just have to wait and see.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Sucks you two couldn't get to Vegas at least once. Thanks!

Thanks. Sorry about your dad. Good to know I am not the only one that ran to Vegas to decompress afterwards.

Thanks. I will, we will, and with plenty of Kettle One Vodka and Royals!!!

18. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, the weather here today has been a pain in the ass. Tons of rain and storms. I was first worried that my flight would be delayed or cancelled tomorrow afternoon. Then we ended up with over 3 1/2" of rain. So now I worried about my basement flooding and keeping me home. I've been driving m wife nuts for the past 6 hours. My son has found the weather radar interesting. Maybe I am raising a meteorologist or something.

Well, things are looking better and the heavier stuff is now shifting a little more east of here. We will still be getting rain tonight, but not close to what they were calling for. Everything her is dry. As long as it stays that way I am off to the airport at 11:00 a.m. Hope to post a few more times in the morning before I say goodbye to the wife and kids and hello to the airport.

Time for bed! Thanks for following along!

19. Bobbo2009

Bobbo2009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breakfast of champions. Cup of coffee, shit of Kettle One and 4 oranges. Good way to kick off this trip.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  20. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget to charge them "interest" like 100%!!!!! Good luck my friend.. following along