1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip Report December 15-19, Part Two

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by bigdogmom, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogmom

    bigdogmom VIP Whale

    Mar 9, 2002
    Aurora, CO
    Trips to Las Vegas:

    My Trip Report

    Wednesday morning, I woke up and I felt great! No sore throat! Which made me wonder - could it have been the smoking room I stayed in at the Orleans? The smell of smoke wasn't obvious in the room, but maybe the 24 hour assault by smoke residue was more than my throat could take. (In retrospect, I doubt if that was it. More likely the zinc/echinacea worked to avert a virus that was trying to take hold.)

    I had breakfast at the Palace Station buffet; it was o.k. but not outstanding. Let's just say I didn't starve to death. I put $20 through some $1 slots that were "hot" when I visited last January (of course, I didn't win a thing then or this trip!), then headed downtown.

    I parked at Main Street Station and walked over to the California. Man, was it windy!!! I honestly felt like the next gust was going to lift me off my feet! I parked myself in front of a Deuces Wild machine at the Cal and played for a while. No luck so I headed over to the Plaza. I was playing the same nickel JOB machines that I played on Monday when a slot club representative came by offering everyone free buffets. I figured why not, they're free, so I said yes. Well, THAT was an experience. [​IMG] The "chinese" buffet had nothing on it that looked like chinese food to me (unless you count the white rice!); as a matter of fact I really wasn't sure what some of it was! There was cole slaw, macaroni salad, fruit salad, something that might have been meat loaf, another something that might have been chicken breasts, fish in a pineapple sauce, peas and carrots, the white rice, rolls, and cake. I tried the fish with the rice and some fruit. It was... interesting. I'm not sure what kind of fish it was and when I asked one of the servers behind the buffet, he must not have spoken english because he didn't answer me. I think it was mackeral. It was edible but pretty fishy and it had bones. There were hardly any other people eating (guess they were having a hard time even GIVING this buffet away!)

    After that lovely experience I walked over to Binion's for some BJ. The first dealer was an older gentleman (I wish I could remember his name!) who used to be a pit boss at the Stardust and the Sands; I bet he was 80 years old; he was great. I was having a nice winning streak and for the first time ever, betting more than my usual $5 per hand when I was up. I walked away up $80 - and I asked the dealer to color me up to a black chip "just so I can say I had a black chip in my hand"... [​IMG] I went back to the Cal (via Las Vegas Club for some full pay JOB; no luck) and tried the BJ tables there but my winning streak had ended.

    I drove back to Palace Station; wandered around and played a few short-pay nickel VP machines with no luck then sat down at a 1c 50 -play VP machine. I played 10-25 hands at a time and finally hit 4 deuces on a few hands so I cashed out up $10!

    For dinner I drove over to AZ Charlie's West (this time I called in advance; the Yukon Grill was open). First played a little BJ; no luck but I sat by a very interesting (read: weird) young guy who was going on and on about women and some woman he dated who was, according to him, drop-dead gorgeous and absolutely adored him, ( :rolleyes: which was kind of hard to believe) but it turned out had embezzled a large sum of money from her employer.

    Dinner at the Yukon Grill was very good! I loved the Alaskan lodge decor. It wasn't very busy and the hostess and waitress were both very attentive. I had a filet mignon with salad and baked potato; unfortunately I wasn't hungry enough for dessert.

    I decided to play some VP after dinner and although I didn't hit anything big I cashed out up $60, which just about covered my earlier BJ loss. I then moved to a nickel triple play VP machine, not full pay of course. I hit 4 deuces! Only on one hand, but I was still happy.

    Back to Palace Station and now I wanted dessert! I wandered all over Palace Station looking for their ice cream shop and of course when I finally found it they had just closed. So I walked clear over to the other end of the casino to the Burger King. I wanted chocolate and I wanted it BAD. They had some hot fudge brownie thing on the menu, so I ordered it. The cashier was quite chatty (actually kind of obnoxious), so chatty that I think he forgot something. I got all the way back to my room, opened the bag, opened the container... it was a brownie bottom with a layer of fudge on it. No ice cream. (So does anyone know - does this dessert usually have ice cream on it? I'm assuming the little cups are premade, then they're supposed to add ice cream at the counter?) I was way too tired to go back. I ate it plain. After all, chocolate is chocolate.

    Thursday was my last day. I got up early and called housekeeping to get a hairdryer (no hairdryer in the room! I could have sworn the room I stayed in last January had a hairdryer!) and the woman was kind of rude "well, we can bring one up but our policy is that you can only keep it for an hour". I assured her I would jump in the shower just as soon as they delivered the hairdryer and they would have their damn hairdryer back in an hour.

    I stopped by the Palms for breakfast (again with a 50% off coupon). I had very good blueberry pancakes in the coffeeshop. I liked the Palms but was surprised - everyone raves that this is a VP heaven, but I saw a lot of short-pay machines. Some of the short-pay deuces wild machines had signs on them touting "Greater than 100% Payout"!

    Finally it was time to go to the airport. No lines to return the car or go thru security, unfortunately getting me to the gate with way too much time to kill. I wish they didn't have machines at the gates! Too much temptation, and I wasted about $30 there.

    The flight home was uneventful. It was good to be home; the animals missed me.

    This was my first trip alone and I have to say I loved it! Even eating alone didn't bother me; I read or took notes while waiting for my meal. I think having a car helped, and attending the meet and arranging to have a few meals with Dewey helped make this solo trip a bit less lonely.

    Final thoughts: I loved the Orleans (I had gambled there before but never stayed there). My stay at Palace Station wasn't nearly as good as last January; the room wasn't as nice and the employees were rude. I still love downtown. I wish I had gotten to the Bellagio to check out the Christmas decor, but it was just too cold and windy to walk over there since I had a sore throat. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know why I didn't go look at the Christmas lights at Sam's Town while I was there! And in the end, my total gambling loss was $75. Not bad IMO.

    Thanks for reading; sorry this is so long! :cool:

  2. Booger

    Booger Tourist

    Aug 18, 2002
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report,it sounds like you had a
    good time.If I would have known I was going to
    Vegas when you were there,I would have met up
    with you at some point but I went on very short
    notice(like 2 hours)maybe next time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.