1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip Report Apr.22-27 2012

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by crapsguy5000, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crapsguy5000

    crapsguy5000 Low-Roller

    Dec 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Trips to Las Vegas:

    My Trip Report

    Day 1

    This is my first trip report, first time staying downtown, first time trying some new games, and also my first solo trip. I got El-Cortez booked for $25.00 per night at I4Vegas.com and it was the best deal I could find at the time. I used my Delta Sky Miles for my plane ticket so starting out, a very cheap trip. I was a little scared about not being able to fly out since the weather called for severe thunderstorms the day I flew ,and since I start out at a small airport with commuter flights, they tend to cancel flights when the weather gets even remotely bad. Good news is that the weather was just overcast when it was time for my flight since the storms came earlier than expected.

    When I checked in at the kiosk it said the flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas was overbooked and they were looking for volunteers to give up their seat. I volunteered for the maximum allowable travel voucher which was $400.00. Upon arrival at the Atlanta boarding gate I was told that they had all the volunteers they needed and it was not necessary for me to give up my seat. Oh well, at least I had no layover since the flight was boarding when I got there!

    The guy next to me on the plane was a Las Vegas local and asked if I was going for business or pleasure. I said pleasure and then he asked me where I was staying. I said El Cortez and he laughed. He asked if this was my first trip and I said "No". He said, " Oh, you'll be fine then". He went on about how it's been remodeled but the location is a little bad due to the bars being right there. He went on to say that lately there have been a lot of drug related activity as well as fighting, due to the younger crowd not handling their liquor well.

    Upon arrival to Vegas it was a sweltering 99 degrees! I planned on taking the WAX but with me not being familiar with the area of El Cortez and it being so hot I decided to cab it. I didn't want to be walking around in that heat carrying luggage and possibly being lost.

    The cab driver was a friendly younger guy who said El Cortez is where he plays at and then went on an attempt to peddle massage parlor and strip club visits saying the rides will be free. I took his card but threw it away as soon as I got to the hotel. Total fare was $40.00 and I gave him a $10.00 tip since I had a good time talking to him. He did take the freeway, not Paradise Rd. to the hotel, but I didn't specify or say anything about another route.

    Check in was a breeze as there was no one in line. They put me on the third floor and I signed up for the free shuttle back to the airport. When I got to the room I thought it was fare for the price I paid. If I was with my wife there would be no way I could stay there as she would want something cleaner and not so tired looking. I don't think the maid vacuumed the floor the whole time I was there but since I was by myself I didn't care. The rest of the room was fairly clean but just a little old and tired, and yes, I did the bed bug check by lifting the mattress cover and looking for the signs. Did not find any bed bugs so I was happy. Went down to Subway for dinner and then unpacked, took a shower, and off down Fremont St.

    Went into the Four Queens to activate my credit account which I did with no problems. The cage manager asked if I need any money then and I said, "yes" and drew a marker for $500.00. I f any of you are wondering why I opened the account at Four Queens and not El Cortez it is that I had the most fun playing Craps at Four Queens on previous trips when I visited downtown. I thought I would play mostly there and maybe get future offers. Surprisingly, the Four Queens tables were almost always empty this trip!

    I decided to go to Walgreens to get some water for the room. When I was heading towards Walgreens I noticed two guys following me. When I went into Walgreens they hung out outside and when I came out they said, "Hey man let me talk to you". I ignored them but they continued to follow me across Las Vegas Blvd. When I was heading towards sixth street I heard them mumbling something from behind me. I stayed alert but acted like I wasn't paying attention to them. When I got to sixth street there was a security guard and a Las Vegas police officer talking to each other in front of the El Cortez. They turned around and headed right back toward the bars and I crossed the street and went into the El Cortez. Where they up to no good? Maybe. I did get that intuitive feeling that something was not right. Dropped the water off at the room and headed back towards Fremont St.

    Stopped in at the "D" and decided to play some Craps. Bought in for $500.00 and was immediately asked if I had a players card. I handed the pit boss my ID and had him draw me one up. He was very friendly and we spent the whole time I was there talking and joking. At first my Don't Come bets were winning big and I was up almost $100.00 in no time. Then not only did I lose the winnings but I lost half my bankroll! I then headed back to El Cortez where I tried Don't Come at craps again and again lost big time! I kept getting nailed laying odds against the fours and tens. I decided to switch sides and place bet a little and what do you know, as soon as I place bet the table goes cold and I lose the rest of my money. I then go to bed around 4:00 A.M. Vegas time.

    Day 2
    I woke up around 9:00 A.M. and go to the Plaza to try Hash House a Go Go. I got the original eggs benedicts and have to tell you I am NOT a fan. The food was extremely greasy and I couldn't even force myself to eat but a few bites. I then got a shot of vodka on the side of my orange juice which the bartender commented on by saying, "I like your style". I then go to Four Queens for some Pai Gow poker and draw another $500.00 marker. Wind up losing $100.00 quickly and leave. I leave and get a bus pass outside of Binons for a visit to the strip and some play at O'Sheas.

    I get off at Wynn and decided to walk around and check it out a bit. I then go through Treasure Island and wind up at O'Sheas. I decided I'm going to stick to my guns on the don't bets and not switch sides. At first everything's flowing well, I'm up a little bit, like $25.00 when the guy next to me goes on a heater. I lose six don't bets against him and am almost busted out when I decide to place bet the six since he was hitting it like crazy. I win and keep adding numbers with winnings until I have all the numbers covered and the six and eight pressed up one unit. He rolls for a total of one hour five minutes, (yes I was timing him), and I win around half my money back I lost on the don't bets.

    I then head back downtown to get ready for the 777 brewpub meet up with others from the message board. It's about 3:00 P.M. and I decide to take a nap for an hour but the alarm doesn't go off! I wake up at 10:30 P.M. and not only missed out on the 777 brewpub meet up, but I was planning to head to the Stratosphere to check out the show "Bite". I then decide to head outside and check out the Griffin bar. Very nice place and would recommend everyone to go at least once.

    I then head to the Four Queens for some craps. I wind up winning only $20.00 on the dont's since everyone moves to other tables when I bet. I then head over to California for craps and lose $200.00 don't betting over two hours.

    I then head back to El Cortez and see the Craps table hopping. When I approach a guy just finishes a forty minute roll and I decide to don't bet. I continue to lose and go against my better judgment of not switching sides,( but being shaken of what happened to me earlier today as well), I decide to place the six and eight. I win and continue to add numbers with my winnings. I kept starting out with each shooter by just placing the six and eight and adding other numbers after every two hits. It worked out well for me because I wound up winning all my loses back plus was up $100.00 for the day but still down $400.00 for the trip. I even shot the dice which is something I almost never do. I go to bed at 4:00 A.M.

    Day 3

    Woke up at 7:30 A.M. and tried breakfast at Cafe Cortez. Food was excellent and the price was better at $11.00.
    I head out to try and find a craps game but the only game in town was at the Fremont. The table was too packed for me so I head to Four Queens. I try my hand at video poker for the first time and quickly lose $45.00. I then try Pai Gow poker and am winning when the shuffle machine goes on the fritz. They apologize saying they will have to close the table. I then head back to video poker and quickly lose the $50.00 I won at Pai Gow Poker. I decide to take out another $500.00 marker so I can put $200.00 on the Boston Bruins to win against the Washington Capitals . It was a 2 to 1 lay so if I win it will be another $100.00 in my pocket.

    At this time it was lunch time and I head to the heart attack grill. Had the single bypass burger with fries and water and it was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised.

    After lunch I head over to the California for more Craps. I start out placing the six and eight and win for a while until I notice the rolls getting shorter. I couldn't help myself, so I started betting against the dice and I keep winning for a profit of $200.00. :wink2:

    I then head to the Pai Gow poker table at Main Street Station and decide to bank the table every chance I get. I was able to bank only twice as it was a slow table and I lost $10.00 the first bank I did and broke even on the second bank. I wound up winning around $50.00 total.

    I then head to Ballys to check out the show Jubilee. The show was half price thorough Tix4Tonight. All the times I have been to Vegas I have never seen it, so thought it would be something to do. Ate dinner at Bally's steakhouse which was good but EXPENSIVE. The show was good and would have been really impressive if I hadn't heard about it from friends and family members who have seen it. The feeling I had was kind of like reading a book but knowing the ending.

    After the show I headed back downtown and played craps at Binons betting the don'ts again and breaking even. The dealer at Binons was friendly but a little corny asking me if I worked at Area 51 after I told her I work for DOD. She then asked if I believed in aliens. It felt like I was having a conversation with Fox Molder in an episode of the X-Files. There was also this obnoxious guy next to me who blamed people at the table whenever he sevened out. He blamed me for jinxing him because I was betting the dont's. He blamed other people for getting their hands in the way and blamed the dealers for not giving him the dice a certain way. After a while he left which made everyone happy.

    On the way back to El Cortez I stopped by Four Queens and paid off one of my markers. Was approached by a prostitute on my way back to El Cortez. I simply ignored her but was surprised at how attractive she was for working on the street. I then went to bed around 3:00 A.M.

    Day 4

    Woke up at 6:30 A.M. and couldn't sleep so I went downstairs for breakfast at Cafe Cortez. After breakfast I started feeling tired again so I went back upstairs to bed again.

    Woke up around 11:00 A.M. and decided to head to MSS for Craps. No one was at the tables so I headed to the Garden Buffet which was excellent. After the buffet there was a few people at the craps table so I played some don't bets losing around $50.00. I then headed over to the Pai Gow table at the California. Did real well at Pai Gow banking the table whenever possible and wound up winning $125.00. Drew a straight flush but did not bet the additional $1.00 fortune bet costing me an opportunity of winning $100.00.

    I had some time to kill before the hockey game so I headed over to the craps table. When I got to the craps table it was jam packed. I stood behind the shooter and watched him roll for ten minutes before sevening out. I knew he was on a monster roll because everyone's chip racks were full of $25.00 green chips. At this point the pit boss walked over to him and said he rolled for an hour and eighteen minutes and inducted him into the golden arm club. He got his name and picture in the Boyd newsletter, a jacket, name on a plaque, and an invitation to return next year for the craps tournament. It was real cool to see someone get inducted while I was there.

    Now, time was closing in for the Hockey game and I headed to 777 brewpub at Main Street. Had a few Pale Ales,( which were real good), hamburger, and shots of Jack but unfortunately the Bruins lost in overtime, losing me my $200.00 bet.

    Went over to the craps table and was losing betting against the dice when the dice came to me. I almost passed the dice so I could go to the restroom but chose to shoot. Guess what happened? Went on a little heater myself rolling for around twenty minutes. I actually had to stop the game head to the restroom and get back to shoot again. Everyone was good with me stopping the game for a few minutes but when I got back my very next roll was a seven out. Walked away up around $75.00.

    Headed over to four Queens and took out a $500.00 marker at the craps table which was surprisingly half full but lost around $300.00 on don't bets. Headed over to the "D" where my friendly pit boss remembered me and wound up being lucky enough to get in on a cold table. Eventually all the people on my end of the table were betting with me on the Dark Side. The table was so cold that after a little more than an hour I decided to place bet when I got the dice to shoot and I rolled around 18 numbers repeating several six's and fives. I then went back on the dark side for a little while more and won some more. After several hours of play I left with a $225.00 profit. Went to bed around 2:00 A.M.

    Day 5

    Woke up at 6:30 A.M. and headed to cafe cortez for breakfast. Went back to the room and relaxed while watching T.V. until noon. Went to the sportsbook and took the New Jersey Devils on the NHL playoffs. Went over to the California and saw all the craps tables were full.

    Headed to Four Queens and drew another $500.00 marker. Played craps and lost $300.00 on don't bets. Headed to Main Street Station and picked a craps table that had Don't Come bets losing again. Quickly lost but can't remember how much. Had a slice of pizza for lunch and headed to Binons where I played craps at the table with the cowgirl dealers. Broke even on don't bets.

    Headed to El Cortez and watched the hockey game and the Devils won! This enabled me to go back to Four Queens and pay off two markers . This leaves me with a deficit of two markers for a total of $1,000.00. Not bad, considering I was using the cash from the markers to pay all my expenses, not just for gambling. Decided to call it a night and headed off to bed around 10:30 P.M.

    Day 6

    Time to go home. Vegas has pretty much burned me out at this point and I'm looking forward to going back home to my normal life. Had breakfast at cafe cortez for a final time and went outside to wait for the 8:00 A.M. complimentary El Cortez shuttle. The shuttle never came and once 8:30 rolled around an executive limo came by to pick some people up. He asked if I wanted to ride and since none of the employees of El Cortez knew when there shuttle will be there I paid the nine dollars to get to the airport. Flight home went with no issues and again had no layovers!



    Don't bets at the craps tables just weren't winning. The last four trips I came home a winner so I guess it was time for the odds to even out a little.

    Almost never a craps game at the Four Queens.

    Not making it to some more shows.

    Not making it to downtown cocktail room.

    Playing at O'Sheas for the last time.


    How downtown has come along for the better. I felt safe walking around at all hours of the night with the exception of the one encounter on my first day. I also enjoyed the street block party atmosphere. I think I am now officially a downtown guy making the occasional trip to the strip for a show.

    Customer service and drink service at the "D". Best out of all the places I played at.

    How much fun a solo trip is.

    Best places for good craps games at all hours, drink service, and customer service:

    1. The "D"
    2. California and Main Street Station
    3. Binons and El Cortez
    4. Four Queens and Fremont

    Summary of expenses:

    Flight: Free; used miles
    Hotel: $144.00 at El Cortez for whole week
    Food,shows,tips,drinks,misc expenses: $440.00
    Gambling losses: $560.00
    Total trip cost: $1144.00
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. denluvslv

    denluvslv Low-Roller

    Dec 12, 2009
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for sharing your trip with us. :beer::beer: We'll be heading downtown for part of our trip during the day. We always like it there.
  3. Joe

    Joe VIP Whale

    Sep 11, 2009
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report!:thumbsup:

    Nobody else showed up for the meet at 777 on Monday, so you didn't miss anything. :beer:

    Curious, what time of day was it when your 2 guys starting following on Fremont St?
  4. techie223

    techie223 High-Roller

    Jun 17, 2010
    Ottawa Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the trip report.

    We were also in Vegas from 22-27 April, staying at the Stratosphere 22nd and 23rd, and Golden Gate the remaining nights. Our paths probably crossed :beer:
  5. crapsguy5000

    crapsguy5000 Low-Roller

    Dec 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Around 10:00 P.M. I didn't feel all that nervous since there were always people around but felt it was strange.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.