1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip report 4/20-4/23

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by charlie1993, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie1993

    charlie1993 Tourist

    Mar 11, 2002

    My Trip Report

    Day One – I took a quick trip with my daughter Tracy and her boyfriend Bill (both of whom had never been before). As I am going again in July, I planned on just doing mostly sightseeing with them this time. Arrived at Louisville airport 1 ½ hours prior to flight time – got through security in about 20 minutes. A somewhat bumpy flight to LV because of high winds, but arrived on time – Saturday 5:10 p.m.

    Because we didn’t have much luggage, we elected not to check it and carried it on. No lines at the taxi stand, so we were on our way to the San Remo in no time. (I didn’t realize when I made reservations that most hotels on the strip won’t let you check in on Saturday, so we stayed at San Remo for one night. Check in was smooth—no waiting. After we dumped our bags in the room, we checked out the coffee shop for the $4.95 prime rib dinner. It was well worth the price, but if you’re expecting a one inch prime rib, you will be disappointed. Although it was tender, it looked more like a very thin strip steak. After dinner, it was off to hop the monorail to Mandalay Bay to see the shark reef. Awesome was their opinion. (I thought it was OK). While we were there, both Tracy and Bill won about $75 in the slot machines. They are now hooked and think this is pretty cool. Stopped and wandered around the Luxor. We hit up the casino again when we got back to the San Remo, playing a little blackjack, VP, and slots.

    I thought the slots were very fair at the San Remo and I can’t say enough about the dealers – very friendly. Finally off to bed as we’re still operating on east coast time.

    Day Two-Up at 4:45 a.m. (still on eastern time). Checked out the $4.95 steak and egg breakfast in the coffee shop (open 24 hours). Very good for the price. I’m glad I took the BJ dealer’s advice to order it medium, as their medium is more like my medium well. Wandered around Monte Carlo, the M&M factory, and the Coke Place for awhile. Walked to NYNY to check out the memorial. Went back to check out of San Remo and made the short trek to the Trop.

    The lines at check in at the Trop were LONG (about a 45 minute wait). The manager was very nice and explained that Sunday’s were always like that. We paid the extra $20 to upgrade to the Paradise Tower and I’m sure glad we did, as it’s much closer to the casino. Played a few slots (up and down) and then hit the strip. Rode the monorail from Monte Carlo to Bellagio, checked out the conversatory and the fountains. Back to the Trop to see Rick Thomas (awesome). Ate at the coffee shop (2 for one hamburgers that were great). Caught the tram from MGM to Bally’s, then walked to Caesars to see the Atlantis show, Treasure Island to see the pirate ship, Venetian and checked out the canals. We wandered over to Paris and Tracy and Bill went to the top of the Eifel Tower while I waited at the slot machines. Bill got a big kick out of the fact that I will fly in an airplane 30,000 feet up, but will not go up the Eifel Tower because it’s too high. Finally, after walking about what seemed like 10 miles, we caught the tram from Bally’s to MGM. I was never so glad to see a bed in my whole life!

    Day Three The kids went to see Hoover Dam and I played BJ and VP for about five hours waiting for them to get back. Stayed about even (which is winning in my book). Later, we caught a cab to RIO so I could cash my $100 check they sent me when I was there last year and signed up for their slot card. At that time they were reimbursing you for all losses for the first 30 minutes. Since I never do well at slots, I had the maximum amount of losses, but it was still nice to get it.

    We ate at the Carnival Buffet and then watched the masquerade show. Caught the shuttle back to Harrah’s and toured the car museum at IP and the wildlife habitat at Flamingo. Then back to Bally’s to catch the tram again to MGM.

    Tracy and Bill were so tired that they sacked out in the room for awhile while I went downstairs to check out the casino. Tried 3 card for awhile hoping for the straight flush (no luck). BJ was pretty good and I kept even for the slots. All in all, it was a pretty good night.

    Day Four Up at 5 a.m. to catch a 9 o’clock flight. I was comped all meals and the show, which I thought was pretty fair. Got to the airport at 7:30 and there are NO LINES. I can’t believe it. The only thing for us to do it to play the slots again waiting for the plane. Tracy cashed out about $60 and I made about $75, so all in all it was a profitable morning.

    Some observations:

    This was the first time I had ever stayed at that end of the strip and I really liked the Tropicana. We usually stay at Harrahs because of the location, but I definitely would stay at the Trop (and also San Remo) again.

    Beware of the $30 free slot play on the free spin wheel at the Trop. You pay $20 for $50 slot play. However, these are special slot machines and you can’t cash out. Most of the time, you will only win one of their prizes (not worth $20 in my book). I did see one person win $500 though.

    There are several places that have these new massage machines – they look like a tanning bed. You lay down in them and get a water massage. You don’t get wet. After all the walking we did, they were just what we needed. It really does revive you. I think the price was about $12 for 10 minutes. After that I felt like I could walk another few miles. I would highly recommend it.

    There really is more to do in Vegas besides gamble! We had a great time, and I can’t wait to go again in July.
    ;) [​IMG]
  2. KathyinNY

    KathyinNY Tourist

    Jan 29, 2002
    Upstate New York
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you liked the Tropicana. I was there with friends and hubby 4/23-27 and we only played the slots - they took our money as fast as we put it in there, LOL. Actually my husband played the Winning Streak slot machine and did ok for awhile but the machines got cold a lot faster than I thought they would.

    We went to San Remo's for breakfast everyday. Just loved their breakfast foods too!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.