1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

travel bummer for these two guys

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by chef, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

On the Wednesday before March Madness, I'm killing time at O'Hare, waiting for a Frontier flight to SLC. I leisurely stroll by a Spirit gate and notice it is for a flight to Vegas.
    While standing there, a gate agent asks if I'm there for that particular flight. I say no and hear them give orders to close the door for boarding, though the actual departure was about 10-15 minutes away.
    About 30 seconds later, two men show up at the gate and present their Vegas boarding passes. Too late, they are told.
    According to Spirit, FAA regulations allow them to cut off boarding either 10 or 15 minutes prior to actual departure. Incredulous to the situation, these two guys tried everything possible to get on board.
    When that didn't work, they tried to get booked for the next flight out, only to discover nothing was available for a at least a day or more. Finally they just gave up and walked away absolutely demoralized.
    They probably had it planned out to arrive on the Wednesday night before and be ready to roll for the big day of Thursday basketball. What a disappointment to miss a flight by a few seconds and have a trip of this magnitude go by the wayside.
    I'm thinking they were probably sitting in the airport bar having a drink or two, thinking they were okay arriving at the gate a few minutes before take-off.
    Has anyone experienced this themselves?

2. bwatson23

bwatson23 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn that's awful. I have no experiences like this.

3. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it happened to me couple years ago... The wife and I rented a car in Beverley Hills, drove it up Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) North all the way up to San Francisco. We spent the night in San Francisco.. Our flight was the next morning around 8:15AM leaving SFO arriving in LAS around 11:00AM. Anyways my fiance was taking her precious time putting her make-up on.. I had a rental I had to drop off at Sixty. When we arrived to the entrance to SFO I noticed there was no sign for "SIXTY". I asked the clerk and they said the drop off point for SIXTY was at the Westin Hotel about 3 miles down... This is 45 minutes before our flight is scheduled to take off. Anyway I rush over to the Westin Hotel drop off the car and have to wait for the shuttle back to the airport which took about 10 minutes to arrive.. BUT on the way back the shuttle made pit stops picking people up! Wow. So by the time we get to the check-in, we are told we cannot board because we are too late that the flight takes off in 15 minutes. He insisted it was not enough time to get through TSA and security... So what happened? We had to fork over another $200 for a connecting flight from SFO - LONG BEACH - LAS VEGAS ... This was probably 8:00AM and our next flight was not until 2:00PM . . . . . Went to the nearest bar in the airport I could find and started drinking my sorrows away. Fell asleep for a couple hours til finally it was time to board.. Not fun.

4. makuk

makuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, 10 years ago I missed my flight by a complete day, I went to check in at the airport and I was told my flight was yesterday! Delta (I think it was Delta) were very good to me and booked me on a flight back to the UK from LV that day for just an extra $100 (original flight was over $1000 so they could have easily charged me a lot more).

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ECUPirate76

ECUPirate76 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About 5 years ago I had a flight out of a small airport in NC. The night before my girlfriend and I had gone to her brothers house and we got hammered and had to stay there. So we come home that morning for me to pack and I'm running late. But again it's a small airport so I wasn't concerned as I knew there would be no lines. I arrive about 25 mins before my flight but I had not checked in yet... so I walk up to the United Airlines counter and there is no one there. I asked the security guard how to check in (I tried on my phone but it was inside 30 mins so it wouldn't allow me to). Security guard tells me I missed my flight. I explain there's no way possible as the plane doesn't take off for 25 mins... turns out the airport is so small that the person working the counter downstairs for United is the same person working the gate to get you onboard so she had already gone upstairs!! Lesson learned is now I check in online just as soon as it's within 24 hours.

6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a close call a few trips ago.

Our park-and-ride bus driver missed the terminal exit (really hard to do at MSP) and we had to double back.
    They were paging our names as we went through security. I ran like crazy to get to our gate and tell them we were there. My bride arrived, we got on the plane, and we expected them to close the door behind us the way we'd been rushed on.

Nope. Sat there for another 45 minutes while they waited for more of the flight crew to arrive.

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
  7. srudude87

srudude87 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a funny one last November in Vegas waiting for my flight. I hear announcement for 2 people, Cunningham and Smith, to show up at their Frontier gate, going to Nashville. 3rd and final announcement said report to your gate, flight is leaving and you'll have to book another flight. Door closes and flight begins to back out. Finally these lower 20s girls arrived with Burger King bags in hand. One said to janitor "Excuse me, is that plane leaving? That's our plane!!! Someone stop it!" I said "are you Cunningham and Smith? They called for you like 3 or 4 times." Then one asked why's it leaving 5 min early. I had to break it to them you don't look at the depart time, the doors close time is the key. Then one said "aw shit, we're stuck in Vegas! And we're out $45!" I think it's going to be more than that lol.

• Like Like x 2
  8. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Learned my lesson a few years ago... came casually strolling up to my gate about 15 minutes before scheduled departure...nobody there except for one lone gate-girl... who immediately asks me if this is my flight - to which I say "yeah - what happened?".
    She tells me that everyone has boarded but me, so I jog down the jet-way & I'm greeted with scowls as find my way to my seat.
    We pulled away from the gate about a minute after I sat down - 10 minutes early!

So - ever since then - I always go to my gate first and confirm the time when boarding is going to start...then I head to the bar.

9. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying back from Cabo our flight landed in Phoenix and we had to catch another to Chicago and then the drive back to Milwaukee. Anyway we land in Phoenix and work our way through customs along with 2 other flights. As we are leaving the customs area a airport worker checks our connections and says we have 10 minutes to catch our flight. for some reason I remember running through the airport with our luggage (maybe its just to add to the story) We know we are going to miss our flight when someone in the group of airport joggers says that the flight is delayed we look up and the monitors says flight is delayed about one hour. Mrs. TrewBrew and i decide to stop and eat something as we know there will be nothing on board to eat and it willbe late when we finally get back to our car and head home. We just sit down to eat, not 10 minutes later, when a voice goes over the intercom "final boarding for Flight #### to Chicago" and the race begins again only to miss our flight back.

The airline got us on the next flight back, the following day.

Fall Spectacular...
  10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying SWA back to Milwaukee from LAS. Flight is posted as being two hours delayed. Off to the bar. Leave the bar an hour before the new departure time only to find the plane has already left. WTF?? Gate attendant no help. We brought in a new plane and kept paging you. You can't hear a page in the bar.

Missed the flight home and had to call over to our host at MSS for another night. All our luggage on the flight we missed and they wouldn't even give us one of those travel packs with toothpaste etc. This was about 5 years ago and we didn't have smartphones or texting, but now, no matter what, we show up before the scheduled departure time, even if it says delayed.

11. tommy JC Nguyen

tommy JC Nguyen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the faa regulations said 15 mins..but my flight was leaving in 15mins...and i was lucky enought that ..one of the staff was late also..so they open the door for her. and i was tagging along.....fully booked flight..so i ahve to grab the last seat on the plane.....not fun very bumpy

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always make it a habit to get to the airport early and be by the gate before boarding. For me it isn't too bad to wait at the airport and I don't like the feeling of being rushed so I like to take my time and get there real early. That doesn't always work out well since some airport (like Oakland) the TSA lines can get ridiculously long and it will take a lot longer than 2 hours to get processed.

The only time I missed my flight was for a connecting flight. travel agent didn't give me a lot of time for connecting flight so I missed my connection. After that I always give a lot of time between connections so I don't miss it. Oh, forgot, another time our flight was delayed and hit a lot of bad weather so by the time I got to the connecting airport the flight had already left by about an hour. Luckily that was 20 years ago so I was able to catch the next flight out.

13. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't feel bad for "these two guys" at all. Sure it sucks for them, by their own design they were made to suffer.

I cant tell you how many times I, as a capable adult, made it to the airport early and sat in wait to get on my plane. Only to have the plane filled, with 99% of the passengers, sit and wait on the tarmac while they page the same 2 people over and over again.

After sitting there waiting for Mr & Mrs Smith, for 15 minutes or whatever, they come smiling and walking on the plane like they managed their time perfectly, while the rest of us "losers" got there early to make sure WE weren't the selfish asses who made everyone else wait for them.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All boarding passes usually say you must be at your gate 30-45 mins in advance. Hard to have too much sympathy.

15. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mr and Mrs Smith were on one of my flights also. Once they got on they started to complain that there was not room in the overhead for their luggage and were upset that there were not two seats together for them.

Fall Spectacular...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  16. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, the only time this happened to me was on a Frontier flight (LAS-STL). We were in the gate area, so we boarded early with most of the flight, but there were about 10 people that looked exhausted as they had to haul ass due to a boarding call.

17. cjcjcj

cjcjcj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The airlines these days care a lot about their on-time records. I don't sympathize with the bummer dudes, likely it was information given that they had to be on board Departure-15 min or D-10(as is the case with United).

18. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I count 'boarding' time as 'departure' time - cause I'm a nervous nellie (aka wuss) and don't want to miss my flight.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally being late is not in my DNA, just does not happen. When I fly I am at the airport no earlier than 2 1/2-3 hours early.

While sitting at the airport waiting for my son to fly in, I had a gate pass to get him off the plane and of course I was there super early. I observed several close calls of people nearly missing their flights. One couple they paged over and over come to find out they were sitting at the bar right next to the gate leisurely finishing off their drinks. The gate agent saw them get up from the bar and come over to board and told them they called their names four times and the couple said they heard but they did not want to rush finishing their drinks, it actually caused the plane to depart 10 minutes late because they were giving the couple every bit of time they could.

I also one time heard the gate announcement call for boarding and saw this women running barefoot carrying flip flops, with a huge backpack on her back to the gate. She claimed to have gotten in a huge line at security, which the gate knew was a lie, at my home airport the terminal we were in only has 5 gates and all are Southwest and this was the last departing flight of the night, everyone was on board except her. Come to find out gate agent talked to the TSA people and they told the gate agent the lady came running to the checkpoint yelling she was going to miss her flight, told the TSA person it was the uber drivers fault.

Finally, I was flying out of my home airport to LAS and was 10 minutes past departure and as the flight attendant come walking by I asked what was the delay. and she said they had one person they were waiting for and the ticket counter called the gate and asked them to hold for the person, there was some issues with one bag over weight and they had to move stuff between their two bags to make them under 50lbs because the person did not want to pay the fee and then the TSA was backed up. It seemed the whole plane let out a groan when this person boarded and they just walked on like they owned the thing.

20. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simple remedy for this. Show up earlier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.