1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Traffic circles... or the drivers in them

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by TrewBrew, Jan 7, 2020.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work in the roundabout capital of the world...Carmel, IN. I'm not joking. Google "Which city has the most roundabout in the world" and you get Carmel, Indiana. Every freaking intersection is a roundabout. At first it was terrible but years later they really do improve the flow of traffic. Although I feel like if you took an sky view picture this city would look like a honeycomb. :)

Caesars Southern Indiana
  2. jack v

jack v Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you get her insurance info you should be able to file against her ins co - not file with your own, and thus avoid any deductible. Normally tailgating and especially getting a citation would be proof enough that they would pay. Obviously if she has no ins, that's a whole different matter.

3. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's this inexpensive thing in my state called UMPD (Uninsured Motorist Property Damage) that will cover damage from some idiot with no insurance. I learned about it too late from my agent that I promptly dropped.
    This is Tallmadge Circle (OH) laid out 1850 where I learned to drive. Number 1 local crash site. Just mash it and get in. It used to back up 50 cars in all directions.
    Tallmadge_Circle.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  4. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

The people entering the circle don't yield....that's been my issue. I don't mind them so much (the ones I use have three lanes) but have been nearly hit a couple of times.

5. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep waiting for an accident to happen at this traffic circle near my house. Someone thought a traffic circle would be appropriate for a Town Center entrance. It is not.

Oh yes
    One more
  6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are relatively new out here and many drivers are confused by them. I think the worst I've seen is people slowing or even stopping in the main rotary section. Lots of people complain about them.

Around here they are mostly referred to as "roundabouts", but I can remember at least one "Traffic Circle Ahead" sign as well.

7. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Soda ... pop ... cola.

The names change regionally but the imbeciles remain the same.

We had one in Lompoc -- one -- and you'd thought when it went in that CalTRANS had desecrated Mona Lisa. And it was a nothing roundabout with a through option and one intersecting road. But that didn't stop the locals from seeing a moat with flaming alligators and then slamming on the breaks.

There are quite a lot more up here and they seem to function fairly well. As a cyclist I find them both a blessing and a potential curse, and that comes down to the common denominator -- drivers who simply don't seem capable of processing inputs and responding accordingly. But I'd take one over a supposedly controlled intersection any time.

8. Calder

Calder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And she won't pay the ticket. Understood, lived it.

Mine was directed at GamblingGolfer's previous post.

9. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I thought that too when we get down in that area. Indiana is really pushing the roundabout idea in our part of Indiana now too.

10. Scott Batson

Scott Batson Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is not enough information provided to determine who was at fault.
    What intersection?
    Did you both enter from the same direction?
    Which direction did you enter from and which did the other person if not the same direction?

The most common error at a roundabout is failure to yield to all approaching lanes. That's because where you can exit depends on where you entered. That inside lane from a different direction than yours possibly had the right to exit. The second most common error is passing in the circle, for the same reason as stated.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This area (Omaha area) is such a cultural melting pot that you hear both "soda" and "pop" commonly used, as well as "go north on 480" and "go north on the 480", so it figures that some use "roundabout" and "traffic circle", but I have yet to see "rotary" yet. LOL, we also seem to be one of the few places in the midwest with no distinctive regional style of BBQ. :)

I've always thought of "roundabout" as a British term for them, and find it kind of perplexing why that's the dominant term for them here in Flyover Country.

However (comma) one of our resident engineers likes to point out, whenever people start complaining about roundabouts or traffic circles or whatever, that a well-designed traffic circle has far fewer points of failure (or I guess more correctly points of collision) than does a regular stop-and-go intersection. A proper traffic circle has one point of failure between each pair of entrance/exits. A stop-and-go intersection has many of them, as one for each case of traffic patterns which combine or cross. However, idiot drivers will certainly figure out ways to make a bang-up use of the minimal set of failure points!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TrewBrew

TrewBrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if Wisconsin has an "official" name for them, I think I have seen the DOT refer to them as traffic circles. I may refer to them as "dent donuts" or "crash circles" from now on. Maybe a wreck ring.

April/May trip...
  13. Scott Batson

Scott Batson Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Modern roundabout is the standard traffic engineering term. It is used to distinguish the current design from Rotaries, UK roundabouts and neighborhood traffic circles.

Many people confuse other and older styles of circular intersections with modern roundabouts. High speed, east coast rotaries, large multi-lane traffic circles (Arc D’Triomphe, Dupont Circle), and small neighborhood traffic circles are not modern roundabouts and UK 'roundabouts' are not the same as US 'roundabouts'. The Brits even call a merry-go-round a kid’s roundabout.
    What is, and is not, a modern roundabout:
    FHWA: http://www.ltrc.lsu.edu/ltc_09/pdf/Doctor,%20Mark.pdf
    UMass video: https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/article/new-umass-transportation-center-video
    WA DOT:
    NJ traffic circles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_traffic_circles_in_New_Jersey
    NJ wins award for building roundabout:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-roadway-safety-award-winners-announced-300556007.html

Modern roundabouts also come in various forms or flavors - standard, urban compact, mini, tear drop, dumb bell, dog bone, peanut.

14. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When roundabouts were first introduced in the area of Spain where we have an apartment, it was not unusual to see a car parked on the main circle. Spanish drivers did not seem to like them, and as such just ignored them, much as they did with the indoor smoking ban when it first came into force. They appear to have got used to them now, but the rules are different from the UK, so it’s not as easy as it should be for me.

I believe there are a few roundabouts in the Summerlin area of LV.

First visit of 2020 Part One
    First visit of 2020 Part Two