1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TR Downtown April 9-12 part 1 (long)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Hoosier, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoosier

    Hoosier Tourist

    Jan 19, 2006

    My Trip Report

    Sunday 4/9 - We had a flight out of Indy at 11:40 AM, so we left the house about 7:40 AM. We stopped to eat a good breakfast and wanted to have plenty of time at the airport once we got there. We had gone on-line the day before to check in and get our “A†boarding passes. Since there were 5 of us, our hope was to get 3 seats in one row and 2 seats in another. If the plane was not full, we would be able to leave the middle open and give ourselves a lot of flexibility in moving around.

    Got to the airport about 10:00, so I dropped off my wife, my mother, and my brother in law at the front door to sit with the luggage, and my best friend and I took the car to the parking lot. We pulled in the economy lot and I saw a bus that had a couple more stops, so we took the first space we could find and then ran to the bus stop to make sure we got the bus. Economy lots are not known for their speedy pick up service, so we decided we better catch this one. As we got on the bus, the driver asked if we played for the Colts. I gave her a puzzled look and told her I was too old and out of shape to even try kicking. I was a little confused about her question until she told us to look behind us, and there waiting patiently in a Cadillac Escalade (remember, this is the economy lot), was Tony Dungy, coach of the Colts. She said she has him as a rider quite frequently, and he always parks economy.

    The check in process, boarding, etc. was pretty uneventful. We did find out that every seat on the place was taken, and in fact had one woman who had to leave because a paying customer needed the seat (I am assuming she had a freebie of some sort). Flight was uneventful except for a game that some young womoan in the front of the plane wanted to play. Anyone who wanted to participate took a $1 bill, wrote their seat number on it, and then they were all put into a bag. Most people played, and the winner ended up with $101. I wasn’t going to play initially, but I figured this game had the best odds/ROI that I would see all week. Needless to say, there was no one sleeping on this flight.

    Touched down in Vegas, went to the baggage claim, and the luggage was there as soon as we were. Walked out the door, and within a couple of minutes, we were in a van headed for downtown. Got to the hotel (Las Vegas Club) about 12:30 local time. Check in was at 3:00, but I decided to see if any of the rooms were available, and to my surprise, all 3 were. We got checked in, went to drop our luggage, and check out the rooms a little. Mom was on the 14th floor, so I took her up while my wife and the others went to our rooms on the 6th floor. Mom had a nice view, and the room seemed to be pretty nice overall for the price we paid. I got mom’s luggage dropped off and went to my room on the 6th floor, which was identical to mom’s, and had virtually the same view (she was in 1402, we were in 602). Went across the hall to the double room shared by my brother in law and my best friend, and had to chuckle a little upon entering. One bed had nice new mattress and box springs, and the other looked to be about 25 years old. The difference in the height of the bed from the floor was about a foot. The was a picture missing from one wall (evidenced by the faded wallpaper and the remaining hooks), and another wall had a picture that was about 10 degrees out of balance. I tried to adjust it, but it was put up that way. I will have more about the rooms in a later post.

    OK, time to hit the casino for some action. Got mom to a nickel slot while my wife looked around the casino and the 3 guys went to have a drink. One of the things we were really looking forward to was having a Longboard Lager draft at the Vegas Club bar, so we headed up to order one. Our first disappointment was to find out that they no longer carried Longboard. So we ended up with a Coors Light, Miller Light, and Bud Light. $6 for 3 domestics that we weren’t really excited about.

    When we picked mom up at her machine, we were pleased to find that she had doubled her money during our trip to the bar. We decided we should probably find something to eat, so we walked out on to Fremont to try to decide what we wanted. Immediately we saw a sign for a steak dinner at Binion’s for $5.99, so we decided to go there. Binion’s had changed their logo, no longer including the horseshoe. Got to the coffee shop, and there was no one in line. The hostess asked us how many, and after I told her 5, she said it would be just a minute because they needed to clear a table. 10 minutes and 3 more people asking us how many, we still were not seated. Most of my party was ready to walk out, but I calmed them down and we waited it out. We did finally get seated, and about 10 minutes later got some water and a waitress took our order. We all ordered food and a couple of us ordered beer. She told us it would take about 20 minutes on the beer because she had to go upstairs to get it. We told her to forget the beer, and I walked to the casino bar and got it myself. $6.50 for a Corona and a Miller Lite, and they weren’t even cold. We got our food in a reasonable time, and the $5.99 steaks had good flavor, but were as tough as shoe leather (cooked medium). A couple in our group got the cheeseburgers and were quite happy with them. Once we left Binion’s after this dining experience, we did not return for the remainder of the trip.

    After we ate, we went to 4 Queens for a while and found that they had removed many of their nickel slots in favor of penny slots. My wife loves the “Price is Right†machines, so we dropped her, my mom and brother in law off there, while my best friend (Brian) and I went to La Bayou for a voodoo. We both order the yard size, toasted the trip and headed back to 4Q. Hung there for a while then went over to Fremont to play for a while. About 5:00 or so, we headed to my favorite place, Golden Gate, to play some blackjack. We found mom a slot machine, and I went looking for the $3 tables. I found that all but 1 of them is gone, and that 1 is difficult to get on at times. So I found a $5 table with a dealer just standing a waiting, and while they were getting the shoe ready, another guy came and sat down (later found out his name was Jeff and he was from Wisconsin). We played a few hands, then my wife, brother in law and best friend joined us. I have never been at a table so hot in my life. I had bought in for $50, and within an hour was up about $30. The voodoo was really kicking in, and the waitress was bringing me Corona faster than I could drink them. All was well in the world of Las Vegas. As the booze kicked in, I got a little more daring with my wagers. I had never bet more than $10 in my life, but suddenly I found myself betting $15-25 quite a bit. In fact, I doubled down a couple of time with a $25 bet, and had bet $10 for the dealer on a couple of occasions. Getting tired and up well over $200, I decided I was going to quit and go check on mom. That’s when Jeff asked me if my mom raised any quitters. Of course I couldn’t walk away from this table now, while having so much fun and being challenged like that. And to top it off, my mom walked up, saying she has lost her butt playing slots, and was about ready for bed. So I put my mom beside me, started betting for her, and letting her play blackjack. Mom is 80 years old, grew up during the depression, and is very conservative with money. I was betting $10 a hand for her at times, and you should have seen her eyes light up. At one point she had a 10 or 11 (I was too drunk to remember) and she said “I want to hit that don’t Iâ€. I said no, you want to double it, and put another $10 out for her. Unfortunately, we ended up losing the hand, but continued to play for a few minutes. That is when they brought in a new dealer and the bottom fell out. I know the dealer has no control over the cards, but this lady was being brutal and broke up our table in a hurry. I ended up being up about $100, and we all got comped free shrimp cocktail and beer at the snack bar. I gave mom $40 to go play slots some more and we went to get our cocktail and beer.

    Finished our snack, and mom was ready to go to bed, so I took her to her room, and headed back to the Vegas Club casino. I have a rule against playing where I stay (superstition), but I wanted to try it anyway. We played blackjack for a while, and one of our table mates was doing some pretty crazy stuff (hitting 14 against a 6, etc.), so we cut our losses and headed for a craps table. My wife was tired, so she went on to bed, and the rest of us hung around the craps table long enough to lose $30-50 each. We decided we had enough of a butt kicking for one day, so we decided to call it a day.

    I will add to this post with remaining days as time allows.
  2. pattiinontario

    pattiinontario "PATTI-O-LANTERNS"

    Mar 17, 2002
    ontario, canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    sounds like u did alot on your first day
    looking forward to the rest of your report
  3. tara

    tara Low-Roller

    Jul 31, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report so far! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.