1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TR—6/25-7/3 Mirage, Cromwell & poker

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by KKB, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there anybody out there??!!:blink:

2. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monday
    My bad beat poker continued at Ballys...I am playing WELL...
    9AM--I shove w/ Qs, K10 calls...oh, you KNOW what they hit...
    noon--I shove with my boat & they get RUNNER RUNNER for QUADS
    Seriously, I have never had such a run of bad beats.
    (I welcome that play....I welcome that play...I welcome that play...I welcome that play...UGH!)
    So FORGET poker...

Video poker at OSheas it is!!
    I belly up to the bar...pop in my players card...pop in $20 & accidentally hit "Max Bet" & it's on $1--OH CRAP (I'm a quarters player). Well that sucks...$5 POOF. Oh, screw it, ONE MORE TIME....AAAAANNNNNDDDD--QUAD 8s for $250!!:nworthy:HOLY CRAP! Well THAT'S better!

So DH eventually joins me, money is doing OK...and suddenly (one more WEIRD thing...) the alarm system goes off at the LINQ/OSheas--wait, what should we do??!! :confused:Bartenders don't seem alarmed...and the alarm says "Stay in your rooms"--WAIT, WHAT? Fire isn't as scary--I'm near a door, but STAY IN YOUR ROOMS? So I ask the bartender if we should be concerned & he says, naw this happened yesterday...OK.....:beer:

Dinner at Yard House...We each had a BBQ chicken salad...DH barely touched his so a homeless guy got that...salad is NOT the best alcohol soaker, I'll say that!

We puttered around all night...video poker...Texax Holdem Bonus (only lost $20 between us...I like $300 profit better...)...not quite willing to give up our last night...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tuesday July 3, our last day...:cry:I'm usually ready to go home, but surprisingly I'm not...dew points in the 70s do NOT sound good to go back to...
    We THOUGHT about trying to play Ballys 9AM tourney, but realized we would need to be packed before...and we rolled in at 2? 3? the night before...naw....let's sleep in...And we actually SLEPT.(well, at least didn't awake & be unable to fall back to sleep as usual) Until 9:45!:thumbsup:
    Packed up...called for late check out (2PM for diamond--YES)...lunched at Ballys food court (and another WEIRD moment when a delivery truck driver cat called me--HUH?)...played some VP at Ballys sports book bar (my first royal was had there...), checked out Ballys pool (man, NO shade...), finally wrapped with VP at Cromwell, where I cashed a few $ up. Went to go to room & key won't work in the elevator--DANG IT! Don't give me late checkout & then deactivate my key!! (especially when I kinda wait until the last minute to get my luggage!!)

Then a CRAPPY end to our trip...(besides the stifling humid weather)
    I notice a bump on our tire as I get into the van, don't think too much of it...luckily I suggested we stop & grab a quick bite at Mickey D's & DH notices the bump & tells me to Google it. WELL....we realize we need to get OFF the interstate & put the spare on as we are at risk for a blowout.
    Don't know where the spare is...look it up (in the book)...Where's the jack?...look it up...put the spare on, lower it, CRAP, spare needs air...raise it, take it off, fill it, put it on, lower it--STILL needs air, but can drive it 20 feet. Then drive no more than 50mph on a highway (luckily not busy; skipped interstate) for an hour home.
    Brilliant ending.
    May have been a blessing...van is at mechanic today & he said our front brakes are at less than 10%, so THAT is getting addressed too...glad we brought $500 home to cover that...(good news is that we took out $1K less than we budgeted for!)

• Like Like x 3
  4. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report ... fun to keep up with all the poker and other hijinks!

GG

On the way to Palm Springs!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am here... being validated that I am not the only one that has chronic Run Bad in daily tourneys.

Gonna watch The Big Game
    2019 USBC Open Championships bowling tournament
  6. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gees--isn't that the truth? My March trip was full of bad beats as well. Only 1 cash in 9 days...Now only 1/8 nights (tho a better one).
    I have been playing in Vegas for 15? years...I was cashing 50-75% of the tourneys I played initially. I even considered moving to Vegas to do it for a living...HA until I hit a TWO YEAR cold streak (remember, we go 2-4x/yr)...UGH! I evaluated my play & realized I was choosing games that were convenient to where I was, not games that fit my style.
    Well, I am evaluating again--and it seems my play may have "outgrown" the 20 min. blind tourneys. Problem is those 30 min. blinds mean for a longer tourney...guess I will just need to plan for that (no dinner/show reservations those nights...)

7. VivaSladeVegas

VivaSladeVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed reading your report...hope your next trip brings less bad beats and some hefty cashes!

8. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I enjoyed following along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't get out of early situations where stacks are relatively even, I hit a flop and make an appropriate bet or two, lose the hand and I'm already at half my stack.

Last September, I had KQ suited, flopped KQT. Bet pot, was called. Turn didn't matter. Bet more, was raised. Folded. Guy showed AJ. Seems like that happens a lot.

Managing the pot is an important skill, but it only takes one where you think a well-sized bet is in order to sign your death warrant.

Gonna watch The Big Game
    2019 USBC Open Championships bowling tournament
  10. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I refuse to play tourneys with less than 10K starting stack--no need to, plenty of choices on the Strip. But too often I am playing against players who make too large of bets. ($600 preflop with blinds 100/100; even saw $3500 preflop when blinds were 100/200! Guy had Js & Qs called--BAD BAD BAD bet--the ONLY hands calling you are the ones you DON'T want to call...sigh...)

I also prefer 30+ min. blinds as it allows me patience. But that also means it requires patience from DH...no dinner/show reservations on those days, gonna be a long day if ya gonna cash. He has never played any tourneys with more than 20 min. blinds...he may need to as well, as the bad beats frustrated him as well.

KQT is a VERY scary flop with KQ...I would bet very cautiously. Too easy for someone to have AJ or even a J9(s)...

11. Mario's Backroom

Mario's Backroom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for a great TR! Based on today’s WSOP action, I’m sure Phil Hellmuth would share your feelings about A9! You’re going to kill it on your next trip! I had 3 straight days of crap on my last trip only to chop 1st twice on my last day....:beer:

Mom’s 75th; Sister’s 50th Birthday celebrations
    Quick Trip with Daughter & Friends
  12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report!

13. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR! Sorry about the car issues at the end though.

14. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! I love grabbing the giveaways at Orleans, and often give them to someone else. One time it was six packs of Bud in a collapsible cooler and I gave those to Southwest employee who helped get my buddy checked in for his flight out, she was stoked.

Big Game weekend again
  15. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR, thanks for sharing it!

Here we go again.....
  16. RynoBU

RynoBU Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed the report! Thanks for posting.

Taking the kids...
  17. Niteshade

Niteshade High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great detailed report. Thanks for sharing your
    adventures with us. Glad your LIPS tourney ended
    well. JJ is really a sweet person. She's tough as nails
    on the felt - but very sweet off of it. Thanks for sharing your
    trip!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting report! Thank you for taking the time to write the details.

19. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JJ was SUPER quiet...the poker pro next to seemed to know her & they chatted quietly a bit. I got NO negative vibes off her (other than her displeasure of giving me half her stack--we ALL would not be happy with that!)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.