1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping Uber/Lift

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by TKO, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    drivers get 75% of fare per mile and time. In Tampa it is 80 cents per mile and 11 cents per minute. Do not get booking fee. So a 10 mile ride in my area that takes 30 minutes nets me about $9. And rarely do I get tip with Uber. Lyft once in awhile. And all drivers appreciate tips. I am retired so this is supplemental income. It is very hard for anyone to make a decent living as their sole income unless they work 10+ hours a day and look for surges at late night bar closings in my area. I used to take a cab to airport from my house $50. When I use Uber/Lyft it is around $24 and I tip $5.
    If you are going to tip in a cab, why would you not tip Uber/Lyft driver? Usually cleaner vehicles and better maintained because these are their personal vehicles. Actually, there is "no need to tip" anyone, including bar tenders, servers, maids, etc. Just courtesy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jagdan61

jagdan61 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very well said. I agree 100% and will do just what you said later this month when I'm in Vegas

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jagdan61

jagdan61 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber now keeps 20% of the fare. Don't forget the depreciation and the constant maintenance the drivers are using to keep their vehicles on the road.

4. jagdan61

jagdan61 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you only tip servers at restaurants when they exceed your expectations? The others you stiff?

5. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MODERATOR NOTE
    Let's please not turn this into a debate on who should or shouldn't be tipped and respect the OP's post by keeping it on topic.

Thank you.

6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I would base it on the amount of service I received from the driver. Was he pleasant; take care of my bags for me; etc? I think my range would be anywhere from $0 to $5.

7. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Similar to what Shock said, a scale of $0 to $5 seems appropriate. Sorry for not explaining the scale, didn't feel like getting into the amounts. So $0 for Uber is akin to 15% for a restaurant server, that work?

And just to clarify I'm no "stiff" I certainly could exceed this scale. Tipped $10 on Sat coming from the D back to PHo (a $12 ride) because the driver waited a moment for another buddy to hustle to the pickup and made fun conversation on the ride back

8. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber keeps 25% unless you drove in 2015

9. jagdan61

jagdan61 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    seriously? they are going to lose many drivers if they keep that up.

10. dogboy

dogboy Tourist

As an ex Uber driver Yeah the only Uber drivers in the future will be poor bastards depreciating their automobile to try to make a living and rich old farts looking to get out and socialize. Uber has the no tip policy so that psychologically the driver is happy to get anything and doesn't scowl at the customer and berate him if he leaves a paltry tip.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question - do you guys like short quick trips(maybe taking a guy 5 miles for $10), or longer ones that pay more, but you might have to drive back to get another fare?

12. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive both Uber and Lyft in my city. Around here, I hardly get tipped, even on Lyft where it is on the app. About the only ones that tip are service workers who rely on tips as well, yet even those are few and far between.

Uber has had a long policy against tipping and would prefer the riders not tip, they want every penny to go into their account. There was a class action law suit over many issues with Uber and the tipping was one of those. Part of the settlement was they had to change the wording and not say tipping not required, they use to claim the tip was included in the fare.

In my city, we got .18 cents a minute and $1.10 a mile, Uber takes between 20-25% depending on when your account became active. Lyft takes 25% here for all drivers. There is a booking fee that Uber collects and they maintain, it use to be called a "safe rider fee" but they have changed its name and raised it a bit.

Most Uber X drivers (your average Joe driving his Honda Civic or whatever), here at least in my area does not provide water and candy or whatever, its just not cost effective. They may provide you a charger for your phone if you ask (I always let mine be used if requested) and some may or may not assist you with your luggage.

The thought of tipping the driver, in my mind should be the same as in a cab, I mean sure its cashless but the driver is providing you a service in a clean car and at a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

As for money, sure, there are times to make some money but if this is your only source of income, your going to be up the creek without a paddle unless you have no bills. I do this for extra cash. Once I get my finances straight, this will be my Vegas money.

As for how much to tip, at a minimum, I $5 would be a good place to start, unless the driver was already at your location when the ride was requested. The driver does not get paid to travel to you. I hear in Vegas a lot of the rides are like PH to Aria and such, so the driver may only get $2 bucks or so after the Uber cut of the money, so $5 would at least make it worth while for them.

The question was asked about long vs. short. Myself personally, if the rides are popping I don't mind short rides. I prefer longer ones. Sure I may have to drive back empty but it at least makes the money a bit better. I can do one 25 mile ride and make what I would make doing 10 or so short rides like mentioned above. Fewer people means fewer chances of vomiting in my car, fewer times the doors are slammed and so forth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. jagdan61

jagdan61 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good insight

14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are you tipping?
    Do you tip extra since the prices tend to be lower than cabs?
    If its only a $5 ride what do you tip?
    Do you usually tip cash or include in with the price?

15. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of my trips have been to/from MB/Delano. So my rides have been $10 or less each time. Usually tip $2 to $3 per ride through the app. Usually a couple bucks more for trips to/from the airport when they handle my luggage.

16. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tip between $2 & $5.

17. Chadohio1

Chadohio1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I signed up using the promo code for Lyft. I was able to receive 20 rides each time saved so much. I usually tip around $1-$2. The promo code i got was the one you see in the strip on the little papers that pan handlers hand out. Overall Most of the time i rent a car if my friends and family is with me.

18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think you tipped Uber. It's inc in your payment?

19. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've tipped in cash $5 for longer trips: airport to downtown. $2 for shorter trips: Tropicana to Gold Coast.

20. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You dont have to, and according to uber you're not supposed to. Some people think otherwise and obviously the drivers will take it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.