1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Time for a new car

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by katmu, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like a BMW 3 series?

2. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.autoblog.com/cars-compare?cur_page=details&v1=USC50LEC172A0&v2=USC50AUC021B0&v3=USC50LES122B0&v4=USC50AUS021B0&v5=&v6=&v7=&v8=&v9=&state=&mileage=&spAd=y

A good site to compare thing like length, width, legroom, weight, trunk space and all that stuff.

3. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

Thanks shokhead that was an interesting comparison. The main difference is whether or not I really need the cargo space of the RX. It still feels a little bigger than I originally wanted to go so that is my main hesitation.

4. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RX is 5" longer then the Q5. 1/2" less wide then the Q. Exterior height is 1 and 1/2' more then the Q. 150 pounds more then the Q.10 cu.ft. more luggage volume then the Q.
    Lexus will be much more dependable and trouble free and that's Lexus.

At the bottom it has Compare Purchase Options so you can see what you want/don't want and an idea of price.

5. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much set on a Lexus. It just do I want a sedan like the GS or ES, or the RX.

6. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Katmu, the RX is a very nice small SUV that most likely will fit your needs. If you think its too small, consider a GX. I think the LX might be a bit too big for what you are looking for.

Also, lexus is just like toyota on dependibility since it is the same company.

7. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it matters, the GS is front wheel drive, the others are rear. If I was choosing I'd go for the GS as it's as nice but a bit more sporty. Also I don't like FWD cars. Drive the GS and RX back to back. A little better vision of the road in the higher sitting RX if that matters.
    http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/2015/?tab-id=reviews-tab#leaderboard-reviews-3-anchor
    http://www.kbb.com/lexus/gs/2015-lexus-gs/
    https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-350/2015/?tab-id=reviews-tab#leaderboard-reviews-3-anchor
    http://www.automotive.com/lexus/rx350/2014/road-test/?web=SIM:MT|WOT:ACOM|Reviews

http://www.carprousa.com/rapid-review-2015-lexus-rx-350-awd-2

8. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

They have the new NX that is the Lexus version of the RAV4, but available with a bigger engine. I just didn't love the exterior.

Most of the GS's I'm seeing here are the AWD version. I've driven the GS and RX back to back twice now. The 1st GS was an FSport which I know I don't want. I'm not really looking for sporty though so I'm not sure if the GS is really for me. I did like being higher up in the RX, but the rear pillars do impair visibility for me a bit. The RX had blind spot monitoring so that would help. I just need to make up my mind.

9. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also used to have a gs 300 awd but it was on the smaller side for me. It's a great sedan though!

10. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you looked at the Acura RDX?

11. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GX lease is..... 2500 drive off, 10k miles, 590 a month inc tax give or take... I think it is too big. The GS is WAYYYY to small and the RX is just right... Remember, I was with Lexus for 15 years...

12. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

The GX is much too big. In my next life I'm planning to be taller, but for now it's too big.:eek:

I like the RX. I think it's just that I'm wondering once it's just me and my 2 large dogs if it's going to feel too big.

13. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Room is good. (RX) And remember it is a car not a truck. Drives like a car. It is a unibody and smooth.. Good luck.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The RX should be large enough for 2 large dogs. Not real big but comfortable enough for them. IMHO, the trunk space could be a little larger. I usually keep my golf pushcart in the car and it is a little snug when I put in my golf bag. I also have my service kit and a bucket to wash my car as well as some other stuff (change of clothes, etc.).

I checked out the new NX the other day. It is nice and funkier looking (on the outside) than the RX (too many RXs on the road nowadays so it looks kind of "plain") but it is a little smaller and shorter than the RX as well as a tighter interior (esp the back seats).

I've been a Toyota/Lexus owner for most of my life. Since the 90's I owned a Toyota Celica, Lexus ES300 (one of the only ones in the state with standard transmission! - it lasted over 15 years until I ran it to the ground), GS300 and now the RX350. I've been lucky since I either had a relative, classmate or friend who worked at Lexus and they usually gave me the car at (almost) cost. Most of the time I purchased them used (certified) but with low miles. My current RX was a demo car but it still only had 4k miles on it (I bought it when the next year's models came out).

I also had a volkswagon scirocco, corolla, Datsun 510 I think and old celica (that was stolen). I usually like the Japanese cars because of their service record. Drove my parent's plymouth fury, Dodge, Ford and some other american cars but they usually weren't that reliable and in the shop a lot. My brother and sister somehow like the Hondas (accord, crv, civic, acura) so all their cars are Hondas.

I sat in the GX once. It is huge and while it would be roomy and good for the dogs it might be a pain to drive around or park.

I heard that the Nissan murano is nice (although not as roomy), my friends like their Toyota Highlander so there are other brands and cars that might fit your need that are a little lower priced.

Anyway, good luck with your search! Always neat to go check out cars and test them out.

15. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at the is350F sport

16. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

The salesman from Lexus of Wayzata emailed me today. They have an 2013 RX with 27K miles that isn't on the website yet. I was hoping for closer to 20K but I think I'm going to go look at it tonight. Starfire Pearl (off-white) with black leather interior. I like the lighter color exteriors, but need a darker interior I think with the dogs.

I use the cargo space mostly for bikes, either my "vintage" 1985 Trek 620 or one of my younger son's many bikes. My bike should fit with the seats down.

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2016 Honda Ridgeline ... coming out soon.

18. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like the colors, a lot. It should still have reg war left on it. If you wanted to extend it{if they do that}now is the time to do it

19. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you put any preventive measures (car seats, carpet) so your dogs don't eat up the seats with their paws? It's been a while since my last big dog and I think I had a junk car and didn't care back then.

Good luck on this prospective car!

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweet steel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.