1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

This is why I don't bet on basketball....

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by stlguy197239, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's try this Thanksgiving thing again
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not me. I would have pulled a Larry Fine ripping whatever hair I had out.
    And trying to put it back on my head once it was out.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ouch that's a tough one! I find that my sports betting drops to almost nothing following football season... not that I'm so at it... but basketball just always seems so volatile. Erasing a 20 point lead in the NBA can happen in a couple of minutes. Hell... I guess Mahomes does that as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More the point that O/U on basketball is dumb in that two teams can be one point from the over for 2 minutes and not get there. You have to imagine someone with the under saw the score with 5 minutes to go and assumed he was going to lose and possibly threw the ticket away in disgust. I have also seen spread bets get screwed up because a team throws a half court bomb at the end of the game and makes it even though they were losing by 15 and were just fucking around. No thanks. Too many things can go wrong there.

Let's try this Thanksgiving thing again
  6. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see where you're coming from and personally I don't bet much basketball but the whole 1 point over 2 minutes thing is pretty rare...a lot of games end with intentional fouling and free throws as the losing team is trying to stop the clock and get possession back. I definitely get your frustration on the whole pointless late game shot when the clock is practically at zero and there's no chance to win but at the same time I feel like in the long run those even out where sometimes they hurt you and sometimes they help you. All sports have some sort of bad beat that is unique to them, whether it's last second empty net goals in hockey or a QB taking a knee to kill the last 2 minutes when he's at the 1 yard line and they easily could have punched it in.

7. donfairplay

donfairplay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another reason you don't bet on basketball is because you could become like Adam Sandler's character in the movie Uncut Gems - now playing in theaters and on Netflix outside the USA. Highly recommended movie for sports bettors.

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked the movie as well, a roller coaster of non stop action by a maniac sports bettor. My wife left the theater and said it was the worst movie she’s ever seen. Go figure! It wasn’t a typical Adam Sandler film.

As for bad beats, earlier in the season, I bet on Miami Heat -1.5 against the Sixers and over 211.5, it would have paid out +370. Game went into overtime which helped the over, but Miami won by a point and didn’t cover.

9. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is now an extended cut of Uncut Gems. Added 19 minutes. @hammie was your wife expecting a Jack and Jill type of Sandler film?

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HA!! That was funny. It was my turn to pick the movie and my daughter saw it and liked it. I listened to Sandler's interview on Howard Stern and decided I wanted to see it. My wife went in eyes wide open with no expectations. Just not her cup of tea, plus all the F bombs didn't help matters. Even though she likes to play the slots, I don't think she could relate to Sandler's character who was such a degenerate gambler.

I think Sandler should have been nominated for an Oscar for his performance, very strong and believable.

11. Ladeda

Ladeda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you had money on the under. Then you would be telling this story for years how you won when the other team failed to score 1 point in the final 2:33 of the game.

12. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    October 1st - October 4th - NBA Finals
    December 30th - January 3rd - NYE!
  13. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What sport doesnt have bad beat stories

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.