1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

"The Zone"

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by topcard, Jun 14, 2019.

1. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of you already know what I mean by this, but to others - "the zone" is a semi-mythical gambler's state-of-mind & reality, where during a given trip, he or she cannot seem to lose at any game, table or machine, that they play.

It usually takes a little while to recognize that you're actually in the zone, but when you do, there is nothing quite like that feeling.
    In 40 years of Vegas trips, it's only happened to me one time, back in the late-80s... & it was downright eerie.

At one point, one of the guys on this trip was razzing me about winning everything I played & that I ought to share some of the luck.
    I asked him if he was serious, and he said he was!
    So, about 1 minute later, as we were walking out of the Stardust, I stop him & tell him to play a very particular 3-reel $1 slot... "Just put in $20 & play 3-coins. You'll win."
    He scoffs at me & proceeds to remind me that I don't even play slots...like ever.
    I tell him that, if he doesn't play it, I will. He laughs & says "Go ahead!".
    I feed in $20... 2nd pull was a $100 hit. I cash out, shrug my shoulders & say to him, "I tried to tell you..."

I won at every type of gambling I played on that trip...no, not every hand, roll of the dice or pull of a handle, - but on every single session of play!

Curious to know if others have had a trip in "the zone".
    :beer:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  2. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, back in the 80's.
    Same thing, like your trip. We won on every slot we played, no, not every spin, and we are definitely low low rollers. LOL

By the second day, we were exactly even with what the trip cost us, and by the 4th day, when we flew back home, we were still even. That trip did not cost us a dime, including drinks and food.

We have never had a winning trip like that ever again. Most of our bets on the slots were .30 or .60 cents.

We stayed at the Tropicana, got upgraded on our rental car, and even got upgraded to a better room at the Trop. All at no extra cost to us.

• Like Like x 3
  3. andyg99

andyg99 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the closest I had was my one trip in 2014 - played a lot of slots (first time I spent more time at the slots than the table games in 17 years of going to Vegas) - kept winning on Bier Haus and the original 3 reel Wonka... the trip was a winner gambling-wise (but all trips are winners IMO!)

Vegas Trip #38!!
    Vegas Trip #39!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About 8 years ago or so. Home based at TI. I simply had what the old folk's called "Shanty Irish Shit Luck".

I could not lose. I killed 3 Card Poker. Any table game, probably 90% winning sessions.

I had a Lobstermania slot machine that I called my ATM.

It was the one and only time all of my expenses were covered by gambling wins.

That 70's Breeze
    • Like Like x 2
  5. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I’ve been in both sides of “the zone”.

Dark side of the zone: about 8 years ago staying at MGM Grand I could not win a single bet for 2 straight days. Craps, roulette (betting only red and black), baseball in sports book, baccarat, even 2 straight hours of low volatility Pai Gow poker! Nothing not a single win. Lost 50% of my bankroll in 2 days and spent the the last 2 days of the trip at the pool. Been back to MGM and Vegas many times and it’s never been as bad as it was that trip.

Plus side of the zone: last trip to Cosmo couldn’t lose a single session. Waiting for friends to meet for breakfast drop a $100 in Willy Wonka cash out for $600 three spins later. Win $1400 at craps in 20min one night, go to a Monopoly slot just to finish my drink from the craps table and hit a $2600 hand pay about 5 spins in, go to high limit and win a quick $700 on pinball. Just kept getting cards at Pai Gow that trip, start with $100 bets and kept pushing wins to $1200 on the table, good cards just kept coming. I bought my family of 4 all new iPhones and turned a walk-in closet in my house into a new guest bathroom with the proceeds from that trip. Still have plenty of $$ left over.

When the plus side of the zone happens it’s incredible, however the dark side can be miserable.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dutch34

Dutch34 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has happened a few times during a blackjack run- I'm always a little slow to realize it's happening mid-run, but when I catch on, the streak and feeling is amazing, like a runners-high.
    The best though was one time (just once) playing roulette...it was at the Venetian and I would play my regular numbers (load up on say 21, 23, 17, 20, little bit less on surrounders like 32, 4, 5, 7, 9) and they were hitting...but the weird thing is a number would come to me...ones I never play....I'd put $25 on #2 and it hit. Thought whoa, that was weird. Continue to play my regulars and thought '31 should hit' and it did...stuff like that. Walked well up over $7000 in an hour session. I'm still very down lifetime roulette, but not that one time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know exactly what you mean... when I had my 'in-the-zone' trip, I would just - somehow - "know" which table to sit down at...even which seat... I would get a weird feeling about a slot - and remember, I don't even play slots - so, I'd play it & it would pay off for me every single time...not huge or anything, but between $60 and $100 wins after just a few spins.
    Playing craps - I'd have place bets making money for me hand-over-fist, and suddenly I would just get an uneasy feeling & I'd take them all down...you guessed it - next roll "7-out".
    I'd have 6-3 versus a dealer 6 in blackjack, - a 'basic-strategy' automatic double - and I'd get that same uneasy feeling, so I'd just hit... of course, it was a 2, and next card was a ten.
    Stuff like that was happening during the entire trip... eerie, I tell ya!
    :beer:

• Like Like x 3
  8. mr.vegas

mr.vegas Peace sells, but who's buying?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3 years ago hit a collage 8 team parley at 180 - 1 on sat on collage football and 8 team parley on sunday at 180 - 1 on the nfl best is I bet all the teams as single straight bets and 2 team paraleys and 4 team parleys so they all hit every bet hit that weekend + $7600.00 of Jerry's Nuggets sports books money this is the second time I have had this happen in all of my trips and now I chase that feeling every time were in vegas sense the mid 1990's.:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only once about 5 years ago. I went for about 3-hours on a DDB bar-top machine and must've hit a dozen 4OAKs... one was Aces for 2,000. Even in between the 4OAKS I was getting smaller hits Flush, Straights, etc.

In typical "me" fashion, I cashed-out well ahead and banked the winnings. I simply don't have the gambler's "press your luck" mentality. I was afraid to give it back... I didn't play again that trip, which was only 2 days (mostly business).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  10. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last March I had a pretty good trip. I had 9 hand pays, also had loads of $800 and I was getting so many hits I didn't bother taking pictures of $400 hits. I'm not sure I can say I was in "Zone" but I was hitting lots of hands, my highest were $6,400 and $4,010 which consisted of 5-play dealt Aces hitting 2 kickers and hit one Royal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 Innocent Bystander

Trips to Las Vegas:
    4 years ago....I remember it like it was yesterday.....I couldn't lose.....blackjack.....LIR......UTH......even some slots and VP.........it was amazing......almost euphoric!!!

And then I woke up........ :cry:

A much needed vacation with the Mrs.
    Blackjack Tournament at Caesar's!!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have yet to hit this "zone" that all of you talk about. Makes me sad but Vegas said she loves me just the way I am and that to never change. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas told me, she loves a loser, and she is madly in love with me. LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I very definitely recognize ‘the Zone.’ I get in the zone maybe twice a year, maybe an afternoon or night during two of our three trips. You definitely know it when you’re in it.

Luckily for me I got in the zone last week on our last night. I rolled dice, won. Played a little blackjack, won. Sat with a friend for a few hands of a new gadget game called “Hi Card Flush.” Got a straight flush. Four hands later, another. On the way back to the room I put only $100 in a $5 video poker machine. Got 4 OAK on the second hand. Told my friend to try a slot I liked-he won $500. It’s ridiculous to feel like you can’t lose, because you can, but when you’re on a roll like that that’s how you feel. Until, of course, you don’t. Sigh.

I try to go by “limit losses and pursue wins,” so I ride the dragon until he turns around and bites, then I get off and quit immediately when the rush ends. I sometimes stay up later than I want, or have to change a reservation, but I hate to leave a streak while I’m on it.

Sadly, I’m equally acquainted with the negative zone, when I’m just getting my ass kicked at anything I play. That’s when a nice burger at Charlie’s is a welcome break. Or I just quit for a while, or for the night.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. opusx100

opusx100 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    some day, some day I will experience 'the zone'........ :peace:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hurricane

Hurricane Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last summer. Less than 48 hours at the Cromwell. Bought in at a craps table on the first night for $500. In a couple of hours turned it into $5000 playing craps and BJ. Over the next day or so, $5k became $12k, then $15k, and then I decided to play a shoe of high limit BJ at Cosmo and sure, why not, brought it up to ~$23k. All from my initial $500. And I was drinking heavily, so it was both a heater and a bender, and, most definitely, the Zone.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  18. AyDee

AyDee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had it once at a craps table for a decent roll, table was ice cold for over one full rotation, ended up all in as the shooter (3 points with what the hell all the rest odds), yelled my way to victory. (not huge win but ended up much more than nothing) Pressed bets more aggressively than usual because my back was against the wall.
    About halfway through the roll I started feeling strange, hot inside (maybe it was the cognac), palms started to get sweaty, had to take my (over)shirt off, did the miles davis of turning my back to the table while bets were paid and laid, while stretching before rolls, time dilated, felt like a spotlight was on me. Felt the full attention of everyone at the table as the roll continued. Was calling, pressing, and making bets like I had some control. Final yell was "it was all a dream", then it ended. Another one where later that night, I was randomly congratulated by two people on the floor for a great roll.
    (having a great dealer that knows your bet pattern really helps)
    (I think that was the closest I got to playing in pajamas, was wearing comfy sweat pants and a t-shirt since I had just come down from the room for a bit)
    May have been the same trip, had a late night heads up BJ session where I pretty much killed a double deck + without losing. Joke I make is bet is better placed for dealer than on sucker bet spot (I bet them both). Every single hand had a dealer bet and I was pressing them along with my bets. Never ever have BJ runs like that.
    Our last trip was probably our best as far as hitting everywhere, then running before giving it back.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Such a fun post @Electroguy563 !!! That is like a movie-moment you had on that slot, so fun to read!

I have never hit the zone. The closest I got was 3 handpays on my 40th birthday trip (12 nights, so I was still a little in the red).It was still amazing, as I've only had 4 handpays in my life. (And I'm a 1.50$ a spin better on average, so it's not like handpays of bigger spins, it was great, such a great 40th!)

I haven't hit the zone...but considering how much I love Vegas even losing, it might not be a bad thing! :whistle:

First MGM stay...I keep hearing the Jeopardy! timer in my head!
  20. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ummm. I'd like to say "thank you" @Multifarious5 but I think you might have referred to the wrong poster?