1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Vegas Trip Report Section

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by FormallyTD, Feb 11, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Super Bowl is in Vegas.

There are a dozen + TR's going on during this time.

Nobody posts any bets on the Super Bowl whatsoever.

How God damn lame is all of that?

I know the answer.

• Love Love x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw a few posts on SB bets in the trip report section but nothing to the extent of one of your reports. Considering the game being in Vegas it’s a bit disappointing. This is your fault you should’ve went. It just doesn’t feel right without TD in Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. fudgewapner

fudgewapner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think the number of AI penguins would outpace SB tickets by a 100 to 1 margin, but here we are!

Hopefully this means you're gonna be Pacino in Godfather 3, "Just when I thought...."

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. diplomatic

diplomatic Always seeking drink tickets

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I’m a big fan* of the trip reports that get to page 6 before the person doing the report even lands in Vegas.

*not an actual fan

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fudgewapner

fudgewapner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Despite my comment, I don't really mind the AI penguins, but it's a different report read for sure. it reads more like a text string in some ways. But I appreciate all reports and insights, it's really what makes VMB so entertaining.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bet on the Super Bowl but didn't post a TR. Does that count? :haha:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you win your bet?

8. VegasDaytripper

VegasDaytripper Re-Retired Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You want something done? Do it yourself

Feb 2024 - Trip #10 - mo' money mo' problems
    • Agree Agree x 14
  9. Jack O. Better

Jack O. Better Boring Math Killjoy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Precisely. Y’all crying about how other folks wanna run their TRs, get on the damn airplane and get to typin’ :p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this really something meritorious of complaining about? I thought several of the TRs were pretty good actually lol.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DegenasaurusRex

DegenasaurusRex Short arms , hot dice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It takes a lot of effort to do a trip report. I certainly appreciate people taking the time. @FormallyTD you making a come back?

IMG_1411.gif

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Jack O. Better

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m also not into this - except for CVP’s TRs, which kind of have the style of a banter-filled group chat. And as y’all have probably seen, I’m happy to contribute to that vibe. Everyone’s TRs are gonna be a slightly different style according to how they write and what they value. Me, I don’t GAF about sports betting so you’re probably never seeing that in any of my TRs. But there will be others who include it, of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going to have to agree with JoB that I'm also not into this, particularly as a lot of the folks opining into others' TRs generally are talking about things completely immaterial to the report and the details get bogged down as a consequence - e.g. their host (bizarre humble brag?), food they're eating, random shit in general which makes me question the intent or if they're trying to increase post counts.

I also agree that I give CVP's a pass because he does great reports, and I really like all the pics (and I say this as a non-slot player, but his reports are awesome - thanks, CVP!).

Long and short, TRs aren't easy to write and I also appreciate what folks provide. I used to write them, but people generally showed 0 interest so I stopped for the most part. Definitely respect folks whom take the time to write them, as they're in essence taking a break from their vacation to write one, which I much appreciate. Everyone a different style, and it's great irrespective of how they choose to (or not) write them.

So, in effect, thanks to all of the folks who do write them!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jack O. Better

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also think re: the above post that the food, travel etc are as valid as the gambling in terms of content. Last I checked this was Vegas Message Board, not Gambling Only Message Board. I personally usually skip TRs that are just a bunch of slot machine pics, for example, even though that’s definitely REAL GAMBO CONTENT. To each their own and all that good Kumbaya shit :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SeattleSteve

SeattleSteve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be of the opinion that the super bowl is lame, and placing bets on which mega corporation "sports team" wins the Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) contest is literally of 0.0% interest

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ** also I agree with TD. There's something to be said for staying on topic and not having "trip reports that get to page 6 before the person doing the report even lands in Vegas" as @diplomatic stated. Some stuff is just better in a private message or group text.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clearly the solution here is to ban all sports discussion. :poke: :wink2: I'M KIDDING!! Please don't send hate mail. :D

I have heard this complaint a lot over the years. It was so much worse before we started the 24 hour rule for TRs. We had groups of people who would have TRs with hundreds of posts a full week before arriving in Vegas. We started having people doing pre-trip reports in Misc Vegas and then starting new ones when they left for Vegas. Sometimes people asked us to move them over when the trip started, and I got push back on those TRs starting on page 40.

As with most forum admin issues, the problem is that you can't please all the people all the time. No matter how hard you try. I strive to please some of the people some of the time and fail at that too. :) Some people love a 5000 post TR with all the chatter and inside jokes. Usually they are the people who are in on those jokes. Other people want a just the facts kind of TR without all the narrative and photos and gaming content. Others want all the VP and slot photos, but none of the food and show content. The list is endless. There just isn't one formula for the "perfect TR".

Ultimately the position I've landed on after all these years is that VMBers write Trip Reports for themselves. It's like your own diary version of your trip that you let us see. Every member gets to make their own decisions about which TRs they read and which they look at and say "Uh.. not for me. No thanks" and move on to another. The pages and post counts are right there so you can pretty quickly decide if you don't like the really long TRs. There is occasionally a person here who has a TR style I don't enjoy and sometimes, even though it's kind of my job to read all these posts, I sometimes just skip them. So far, nobody has reported being seriously injured because I didn't read their TR. :)

My PMs are always open if anyone has suggestions or comments on ways to make VMB more enjoyable for everyone. I'm just not sure that my success rate of herding cats around here is going to have a major impact on how and what people want to share in TRs. I mean, I made a request to keep things less R-rated and more PG-rated to appease our Cyber Overlords and that blew up for so much longer and larger than I thought it would. The moderators and I already try not to interfere too much in TRs, but it happens from time to time. We do the best we can with what we've got. The best thing we can do is to try and find what works best for you and just read on past the ones that aren't as of much interest to you. Oh, and report ones that are a problem, just in case it's one I'm not reading. :haha:

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Love Love x 7
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  18. Cageet

Cageet VIP Cow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi @Sonya

I thought there was a way to filter all posts inside a TR to only ones made by the trip author, so that a reader can skip all the fluff & banter if they so choose. I must have imagined it. A search on the author's posts doesn't work the same way because each post becomes a link that must be opened.

Maybe this is one of the bells & whistles you are considering? :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Oceans 11

Oceans 11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't understand this thread. And what is AI penguins?

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops.. I was going to include that in my post, but somehow got distracted and forgot. :haha:

When you click on a Trip Report, on the member card in the first post, there is a little yellow box on the card that says "My Trip Report". When you click on that, it will give you a list, in reverse chronological order, of the OP's posts in the thread. You can start and the bottom and work your way up through the posts only from the OP.

• Informative Informative x 11
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.