1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Subtleties in Hotel Tiers

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Snowbelle3, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. What are the small (or big) differences from one hotel tier in Vegas to another (without bashing any property)? For example, NYNY is 4 stars while Luxor is 3 stars but what do you think accounts for those differences?

2. And as a side note, do you think that the tier system in Vegas is on-par with other cities (or might the low tier and perhaps even the higher tier be a higher/lower standard than other cities?) For example, Luxor may be 3 stars in Vegas but would it be 3 stars in another city, considering it is a massive resort?

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whose rating system are you using?

3. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those are the number of stars I saw on booking.com.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ask because the long-running and I think easily accepted services, like AAA, have specific criteria followed by their raters. Less subjectivity, proven record. John Q ratings my appear truer or more honest, but how would a Manhattan high-rise dweller and someone from Nyssa, Oregon, look at the same experience? Then toss in the grudge factor, the obvious bias shown by loyalists getting those rooms "free" from some slot club ...

5. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, you could argue that a 'premium' room at a lower rank hotel could be better than a 'standard' room at a higher end place. Depends how much store you put in non-room qualities.

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, there are two popular rating systems: Forbes (Stars) and AAA (Diamonds). Forbes is primarily about the level of service, while AAA is primarily about the amenities. The true five-star properties dream of the the Forbes 5-Star rating since such few properties worldwide get it.

The rating systems that OTAs (Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz,etc.) use are stupid. It's best to look at TripAdvisor ratings, even then there are a lot of fake reviews on there.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always thought of stars/diamonds as being very rough and very arbitrary, and never intended to be exact. My experience is that the more stars, in general, the nicer the property, but there's a lot of overlap and a lot of difference between hotels of the same star rating.

There are also some one-off issues. I remember in the 1980s, for example, when the management of the Stardust had a disagreement with AAA and Stardust was summarily dropped, period, from all of their guidebooks for a while.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.