1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Sphere Experience/Postcards From Earth

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by MohrPfun, Sep 21, 2023.

1. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, should've specified I want to stick with $69 tix. I only see $99 and $169 in the 400s level.

2. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the experience like? I understand they have you arrive an hour early for the experience part before sitting down for the movie. True? Is the experience good? Also, how is the movie? I'm not looking to be lectured that I'm a horrible person for driving a car to work. I'm hoping the movie is good to excellent quality without being preachy. How is the seating? I hear the steps are very steep. My mother is 80. She's in awesome shape, but I'm concerned about too many steps that are hard to climb.

Thank for any info.

3. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went. We sat in the 300 section. The 300 and 400 are said to be the best seats because the screen encompasses the majority of the theater.

You’re asked to come early as there are a number of exhibits. I don’t want to go into much detail but they are really cool. One part includes a souvenir video (starring you) that gets sent to your email.

The movie itself was worth seeing but I will caveat that I had a $100 off coupon from Vegas.com plus I bought discounted tickets in advance from Vegas.com. I think immersive is a fair way to describe it. It’s like Disney Soarin’ over California but better.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your ticket time is meant to be the time they let you in, which is an hour before the movie starts and is time to go through the exhibits.

In practice, for my early show I think they started letting people in early and you can tell why. I was early show on a Wednesday, and there was a longish line to get in and then crowds around all the exhibits.

Most of the exhibits have android thingys interacting with the crowd in different ways, but some of them are quite hampered by so many people crowding around. There are some hologram things to be seen too. Lastly there is the 'avatar' thing, where you line up, join the wifi and scan a QR code. At the end of the line you strike a pose surrounded by cameras and then get emailed a short video that more or less ends with you superimposed into the video in whatever pose you too. It is neither a fun, cartoonish avatar, nor frighteningly realistic. Just enough to be a "well thats an unflatteringly fairly accurate picture of me in this weird situation". The line for it took me almost half of my experience "hour"

If I were dead set on the experience exhibits I would try to be there very early for the early show (so another show doesn't have to let out) and try to get in ASAP so I could take pictures and interact a bit with the exhibits before its a gong show. If I was meh on that experience I'd probably come a bit late and just go right to my seat.

The movie itself is not wildly preachy. The conceit/theme is of people who had been in stasis being reminded about the earth before they seed a new planet, so it necessarily will touch on the earth becoming unliveable, but that isn't the focus and they don't lean/rail too hard on specific causes. It tries to end somewhat optimistically.
    The issue is that the parts of the film that cover that section are also by far the least immersive, cool, and engaging, and the score over those parts is overbearing and depressing. So I can see how it puts some people off.

And the movie is not exactly a wildly entertaining story on its own. It is more an excuse to showcase the technology. And in parts that can be breathtakingly immersive. In a few others it will narrowly miss the mark.

My last trip report had some links, pics from the experience and film, and some comments.

Starts with experience pics somewhere around here

I ended up by accident in the wheelchair row, which is basically at the top of the top section, and has removeable seats that can be replaced by wheelchairs. This row has an excellent view of the screen, and does not have to mess with the steps down to a seating row. I presume there is an elevator one can take, but i took a series of escalators up to that section. Still, it should be a good option for you. I think there is also a wheelchair row for the 300 section. Also makes it handy if you want to take a 5-10 minute bathroom break just as the theme starts to turn to the planet getting ruined, as while i didn't feel preached at, it really added nothing to the experience.

Overall, I think the sphere itself is really cool. You could do some amazing things with it. Postcards from earth showcases that potential without really being that amazing thing. May take awhile before concerts or other movies really find the right balance to create an amazing entertainment experience. For now, just go if you want a glimpse of the potential, and don't sweat the small stuff. The 'plot' of the movie really doesn't matter. If seeing the potential is not enough or even really if you can be annoyed by the crowds, lines, and the short, less fun middle of the movie, no shame in staying away.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of reviews out there... but it is a great show. Yes, the first hour is exhibits and getting drinks, etc. So, no hurry to be there on time.

A few have mentioned global warming preaching. I did not see that at all. To each their own.

Yes, higher seats are just fine. Well worth time time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to those of you who responded.

7. Linda L

Linda L Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sat in Section 400 at the U2 concert , the steps and the escalators are extremely steep, they also have elevators. I think your Mom will enjoy the experience at the Sphere.

I’m ready to go back again
  8. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw earlier that you also have issues with vertigo. That didn't bother you at all in the higher seats?

Looking to find where the best seats are. 204, 208, 304 308 and 406 are the cheapest at $79. I'm leaning towards 304, 308 or 406.

Thanks.

upload_2024-5-3_16-12-12.png

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have many issues with vertigo and motion sickness. Visit there brought forth ZERO issues.

YMMV

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks very much!

11. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please clarify: Did you have 7 pm tickets for the sphere or 7 pm for the movie?
    I understand you buy tickets for a time- in my case we have 4:30 tickets. We will enter the sphere and there is approximately 50 minutes for you to look at exhibits and electronics and stuff. Then about 5:20 we can enter the theater and the movie will start at 5:30.

is this what happened to you?

12. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dumb question: I see on the map that there is a bridge entrance from the Venetian. Is this also an exit to the Venetian?

13. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For your 4:30 tickets, the doors will open at 4:30. You’ll have about an hour to walk around and see the exhibits, then the movie will start around 5:30. You can go to your seats early if you want, like 20 or 30 minutes early, if not earlier. I found looking around the empty theater more interesting than the exhibits.

And yes, the bridge from the Venetian goes in both directions. They have lots of employees helping with directions (think every 20 steps) and have the hallway roped off in the middle to keep traffic flowing each way separate.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If stairs are a question, I was in 308 at the top of the section. The entry from the foyer is at the top of the section so you’d walk down starting from row 18 to row 1 of section 308 or any of the 300’s. To clarify, section 308 row 18 would involve no stairs whereas section 308 row 1 would involve a lot of stairs.

Now the same foyer entrance lets you in at the bottom of the 400’s so row 1 of section 406 would involve zero stairs and row 23 of 406 would involve a lot of stairs.

I would suggest the top rows of 304 or 308 for both price and no stairs factors. It’s slightly off center but the screen is so big that you’re going to be looking side to side, top to bottom anywhere you sit.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  15. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great info. Thanks!

16. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had pretty much the exact same experience as you. Enjoyed looking at the interior art work, reminded me of a new hotel lobby. Found the preshow robots less than interesting. The movie was awful, and I fell asleep also. We paid $7 each for a bottle of water. Parking in lot HH1 was the best part of the experience as it was easy to get in and out, and the price was right at $13. The other lots had long lines getting out, and were priced about $5 more. The walkway to the Venetian was closed off.

We walked around inside the seating area quite a bit, and in my opinion there is not a bad seat in the house. The higher up the better, for the movie anyway. Stay away from the back of the 100 sections, because there is an overhang that completely blocks the screen. You would have a great view of the stage, but hardly see any of the screen at all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TwiceTheJava

TwiceTheJava Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think my experience was worthy of its own thread, so here goes.

If you're afraid of heights, good luck. I had a few beers in me to help, but the seating is STEEP. Sweaty palms everytime I looked down. A draft guiness is $22, and IMHO should be covered by health insurance here. I had an iron grip on every railing.

The walk there and back is long. The place itself is pretty damn cool, and Postcard From Earth was worth the $114 ticket for nosebleed seats (section 405). I had a good view though.

I was excited to go and glad I went. I've paid the same for worse shows. If you're on the fence, go see it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BethGarden

BethGarden Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too am afraid of heights. My daughter is in a wheelchair so we got wheelchair seats in section 407. They did cause me some discomfort but I was able to slide my way back from the riling. The other seats below us were very steep. We just went through the entrance and the seats were right there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience. @DBear - thanks again. Your info was spot on. I was extremely glad I didn't have to do many stairs. It was STEEP. I had a more difficult time in the seats with no people in them. Once people started to fill in, it didn't seem quite so steep.

Sec 304, Row 16, Seat 1 - 2

The first part of show was a bit difficult with my height/vertigo issues - but still absolutely worth it. LOVED it. I would do it again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1