1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The origin of the "Rat Pack" name

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by wormhole, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After recently watching a copy of Casablanca that I forgot I had, I looked it up on IMDB.com and found this bit of trivia about Humphrey Bogart:

"Frank Sinatra's friends, known as The Clan, were originally a group of Bogart friends who enjoyed drinking heavily. They referred to themselves as 'The Holmby Hills Rat Pack', since Bogart lived in the Holmby Hills section of Hollywood. The Rat Pack name had originated one morning, after a night of heavy boozing, when Bogart's wife Lauren Bacall came upon the sodden group and flatly stated, 'You look like a God-damned rat pack.' Bogart enjoyed the term, and a legend was born. But Sinatra stopped using the "Rat Pack" name after Bogie died in 1957, and he and his friends hated it when others continued to label them that way (Source: Robert Osborne, Turner Classic Movies)."

I had heard Bogie was an original member, but could not remember where I had read it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. I also find it interesting that while Dean Martin is always associated with the Rat Pack he usually spent his evenings at home or in his hotel room, not out partying.

3. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, there were barely any true Rat Pack movies; only Ocean's 11 and Robin and the 7 Hoods. The other films just had two or fewer members, which isn't even a majority, or they only had brief cameos from a majority of Rat Packers.

4. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supposedly, Dean was not the heavy drinker that he was portrayed to be, at least in his later years. The drinks he was seen with in public appearances were usually apple juice because it has the right color to appear as booze. I wish I could remember which TV show I heard that on.

5. snoopydogj

snoopydogj Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boy he could sure play the drunk! He Looked loaded when he was on the "Tonight Show" with Johnny

6. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bdautch. I think there was one more movie they were all in. Remember them being in the cavalry or something like that

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

"Four For Texas"
    Dean Martin ...........and his drunk act.
    He used it on his top rated TV Variety Show - alot.
    All those panel roasts,too.
    Yes, on Carson he played it, as well...............and REALLY WELL.
    Real drunks, "don't hold it together" for long stretches -- he does a 20 minute slot w/ Carson -
    on several occasions...........or the entire filming on a TV show or Roast Panel.
    ------ My thought ......I don't know ?
    His daughter did a short film/ documentary about him.
    She adamantly, says ,( in a voice over )..... "My father didn't drink."
    But there he was poolside, at home, with the kids -- and there's a small drink glass
    in his hand...........a small amount of something in the glass.
    I don't know ?
    "When the camera is on - actors are always on."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.