1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The mass shooting near Mandalay Bay

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by grosx2, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a trip planned for October 16th. Wife and I discussed canceling but quickly decided that no way is evil going to win! We're still going. Of course the events will be on our minds and literally in our face and we will keep good thoughts and prayers but we refuse to let evil stomp out even an iota of light.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone who has filed a missing person's report in Las Vegas, this has got to be terrible. I was also under the impression that the Las Vegas Police deal with LOTS and LOTS of Missing Person Reports, and mine was NOT a HIGH priority.

I can also tell you that with HIPPA, getting a hospital to tell you ANYTHING is impossible.

I was only able to break the hospitals down once the police faxed a picture out to something like 800 locations as a Missing Person.

I hope the Family Reconnection Center or whatever Sonya put in the thread, is not another layer of red tape but will actually eliminate a lot of the red tape so families can be reassured.

God Bless everyone that was there and survived. Condolences to all the victims families.

PS. I am a Ten Gallon Blood Donor and my next scheduled donation is very soon. If they call me in before my appointment, I will go.

3. Gmoney10

Gmoney10 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To think he was able to strike 2% of 22,000 people just leaves me speechless.
    People have lost mother's, fathers, daughters, sons, grandmas, grandpas, brothers, sisters, friends and coworkers,
    Have no words to express my sorrow for everyone involved.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Action 13 News is showing new footage/sound from call center. They pinpointed the window and you can see the continuous sparks of light coming from the window. Many on the call were shouting, "shots fired from Mandalay Bay, Mandalay Bay, Mandalay Bay, top floor, top floor". The Sheriff said they got to the 32nd floor and went right to the room. There are conflicting reports as to whether law enforcement took the shooter down or he shot himself before they entered or as they entered.

My God, I cannot imagine being in the midst of this. I am in tears. I want to stop watching this, but I can't.

6. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is very confusing, the shooting apparently started about 10:08 pm, and lasted about 10 min, now the timeline has the "breech" of his room as happening at 11:20 pm and the guy had killed himself. it sounds like the guy might have killed himself almost an hour before the cops got there(since the shooting stopped). It doesn't sound like anyone was saved by police action, what am I missing?

7. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, being reported he shot so much that the smoke for his rounds set off the fire alarm and that's how they found him so fast.

The Nugget!
  8. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, reports are conflicting as information comes in from all sources. I'm sure this situation will take quite awhile before it is all hashed out and official.

Sad.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. David Grant

David Grant Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope everyone is ok. Thoughts and prayers with all.

If there is anything I can do for anyone please let me know.

David

• Like Like x 2
  10. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just showed the room, a 2 room suite.

The Nugget!
  11. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And to the issue of whether it is one suite or two rooms, I know that at least some of the floors at MB have that suite at the end of the hall (no idea about the 32nd floor specifically, however). The second page of that old TR also has pics from inside my suite that shows the living room and alcove areas I described in an earlier post

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just saw a video of the room on fox news that some guy that stayed in that room last yea sent them.

13. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother-in-law lives in Vegas, and when he went to donate blood, he had a 5 hour wait in line. He said the outpouring of donors is incredible. My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and their families.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think he did. The total injury count (still climbing) includes people hurt in the panic, doesn't it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just shock and sadness here but I will not let evil change my plans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just posted this in the Candlelight Vigil thread, but thought I'd share it here too.

I'm heartbroken for what happened in my favorite city. I had to take a little break and have a snuggle with the dog until I felt like I could breathe again. I'm grateful that it appears all my loved ones and fellow VMBers are okay and safe, but that doesn't take away from the hundreds of people killed or injured.

What I'm holding onto is the stories of people who went above and beyond last night. Strangers helping strangers. I saw stories of people who took strangers into their hotel rooms to wait out the lock-down. Hotels opening up rooms and convention space, handing out blankets for people who needed to shelter in place. People stopping on LVB to pick up shooting victims to transport them to the hospital in their personal vehicles. People who got their friends and family out of the concert venue and then went back in to help other people. People who sheltered other people with their own bodies. I can't even imagine how scared they all must have been.

I also can not express enough how deep my gratitude is for the multitudes of law enforcement and first responders who did the seemingly impossible and walked TOWARDS the danger to help those who needed them. They have trained and drilled for this exact situation and they seemed to handle it with professionalism and precision.

I encourage everyone to take whatever time they need to process this horrible story. But don't let this guy win. I will be going back to Las Vegas in a few weeks. I plan on having fun, spending money and doing all the things I've always done in my favorite vacation destination. I know I'm going to be hugging my Vegas Family a little extra tight on this trip.

Evil exists in this world, unfortunately, but we as a whole are better than that. I believe that there is more goodness out there than evil. Just look at the lines of hundreds of people currently in line to give blood at centers around Las Vegas. I have to believe that we are better than these terrible events.

• Love Love x 14
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. snoopydogj

snoopydogj Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My niece is back home in Indiana. Not sure how she got her stuff & got out of there but she did.
    I’ll update if & when she wants to talk. She’s very shook up but glad to be back in “Mommy & Daddy’s arms”
    On another note she was also up front at the Indiana State Fair stage collapse.
    I pray for her mental strength.

• Wow! Wow! x 5
  18. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just heard there is a 5 hour wait to donate blood...wow!

restores your faith in people....

and as my ticker shows, i will be there in about 3 weeks.... not a doubt about not going

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I was in Vegas somewhere between 7 to 10 days after 9 / 11.
    Please, do not cancel plans to visit Vegas, now.
    I never felt safer flying or visiting Vegas as then.
    >
    I heard the live recording of a cellphone spectator at the show.
    You can hear the "chug-a-chug-a" distinct sound of an older belt driven automatic, in the background.

20. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very true. Thanks, Sonya.

look for the helpers.jpg

• Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.