1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Good, Bad and Very Ugly trip

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by callahanha, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I have been traveling to Las Vegas 2 -4 times a year since 1995 and this was the first time I could ever recall wanting to leave.

This trip was supposed to be a vacation for my girlfriend and I but it certainly was not a vacation for me.

The Good –

I have never rented a car from the airport before. I was amazed at the ease of the whole process. I rented from Dollar and because I am a rewards member, I was able to skip the line and go right to the parking garage. The man in the booth said to take any car in Row 1 or 5 so I opted for a Ford Edge. It was big enough so I didn’t need to collapse the girlfriend’s scooter every time we got in or out of the car. The return process was just as easy. Drive up to the gate, they do a quick walk around check, hand me a receipt and grab the shuttle to the airport.

The Orleans – Did not do as much gambling as usual as I needed to attend to the girlfriend. However, we did have an excellent dinner at the Prime Rib Loft and saw 2 movies in a very comfortable theater.

Excalibur – We were upgraded to the recently remodeled tower. The room had a nice with a view of NY-NY and it had a large bathroom and comfortable bedding. I also won about $500 my last night playing the Hangover slot (+120), Triple/Double Diamond w/Cheese slot (+250) and 2 4OK playing Double Double Bonus VP at the bar (+200). This cut my loses for the week in half.

Linq Ferris Wheel – Had a $7 off coupon so it cost $26 for both of us. Went during the day and the views were great. It was a great way to kill an hour.

Southwest Airlines Service – at the bottom of this report, you will learn about the key from my girlfirend’s scooter keys being lost during transport. Upon arriving back at Albany, I filled out the necessary paperwork and they told me to call back if I did not hear from them in 24 hours. When I did call them, they said they did not find the key and I had my choice of getting a check for the cost of the key or the will order a new key and they will send it to us once they contact the company. I told them to just send me a new key but they also said I would receive a $100 voucher for my problems. Southwest customer service is the best!!

The Bad -

The problems started the day before we were scheduled to leave. My girlfriend, who is handicapped and needs a scooter to get around, decided to get a manicure, pedicure and for the first time in her 55 years decided to get false eyelashes.

Before we started boarding the plane she was complaining of itchy eyes and during the trip, the flight attendant provided her with Kleenex as her eyes were running. The next morning involved a trip to urgent care for eye drops and medicine. 2 days later her eyes were still not cleared up and her face looked like she went a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson. Back to Urgent Care. This time the doctor said she had pink eye and gave her antibiotics and told her to put Preparation-H under her eyes to reduce the swelling. He thinks the whole eye incident was caused by eyelashes not being applied in a sterile environment.

Since she could not tolerate the bright sun, I only spent 4 hours at the pool all week even though it was over 100 every day.

The Worst –

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, we are going through security at LAS and she accidently puts the scooter in reverse and runs over the TSA agent. Then my girlfriend starts crying and this is holding up the line for everyone else.

Once we get through security, she realizes she left her handicap placard in the rental car and starts freaking out. I told her I would call Dollar but the phone just rang. I told I will resolve the issue tomorrow when we get home but she is still in a panic that she won’t be able to get it replaced. At this point I am ready to leave her in Vegas.

Then as we were beginning the decent into Chicago, she said she needs to use the bathroom and I inform her she can’t because even the flight attendants are strapped in. She insists on arguing with me until one of the other passengers also told her she would need to wait. Once we taxied to the gate, I had to yell to the people in the rows ahead of us, “Handicap person needs to use the bathroom quickly!!!” and pushed people to the side with her cane.

Once we arrive home in Albany at 1am, her scooter is brought to the gate but the key I had tied to the handlebars is missing. This means the scooter won’t even roll without the key. Again, girlfriend starts freaking out. Thankfully I brought the spare key from home in my carry on and we were able to make it to the luggage carousel without any further incident.

As her health continues to get worse, I have decided Niagara Falls or Myrtle Beach would be a better choice for next year’s vacation. I am usually a patient person but I reached my breaking point on this trip.

Because this trip sucked so much, I am extending my September trip with my friend to 7 nights and will not be answering any phone calls from home.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for sharing your report.
    I'm sorry to hear that it didn't turn out exactly as you'd envisioned.
    I wish you and your gf the best as her health changes...

RICHARD

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend's health issues and mishaps.
    Doesn't make for a good vacation no matter where you're traveling, for sure.
    Wishing you a good time and better luck on your future trip @callahanha.

Holiday Trip! Making Merry in Sin City.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. WelshBlonde

WelshBlonde Wishing I was in Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well done for being so patient.

I'm sure your girlfriend appriciates it even when it may seem she doesn't notice as you sound like a lovely kind hearted person.

I hope she is better soon, and I hope you enjoy your next trip even more :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nivlem

nivlem Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's cold.

6. DESPERADO

DESPERADO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wave::beer: twilight_zone_logo.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. charlestfuller

charlestfuller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard this is rather common with fake eyelashes....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Vegasworm

Vegasworm Finger Clicker Extraordinaire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! Good for you for holding it together for your girlfriend. Sorry to hear about all of the issues. Hope your next trip is better!

Vegasworm

• Like Like x 2
  9. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would move "girlfriend ran over a TSA agent" to the good section ;)

Big Game weekend again
    • Funny Funny x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  10. eliza

eliza VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fake eye lashes are the worst. I've worn them once - as a bridesmaid in a wedding where the bride insisted. And while I luckily didn't pick up an infection, they really irritated my eyes and were uncomfortable all night. I suppose, like anything, you must get used to them, but I can't imagine how people manage to wear them full time. I barely lasted through the wedding + reception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You did a great job not losing your cool with your gf with all the ups and downs - seems like most of the things that happened weren't her fault anyway. Sometimes things just snowball. Bummer on the eyelashes and trips to urgent care.

September is a long time away and you'll soon be laughing together over how crazy this trip was.
    Enjoy your September friend trip without the gf, but unless you want more drama on your return, consider answering your phone once in awhile...:whistle:

:wave: Don't read this unless you have a sense of humor.
    Note to girlfriend: if you and bf are having a bad day, under no circumstances should you visit Niagara Falls....

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Fingers crossed - it's been almost a year
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for the problems you and your girlfriend had; I’m sure your girlfriend appreciates your patience.

Many react to false eyelashes; I got them once and they drove me mad itching; I’d never get them again.

Pink Concert Trip
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. hedgehog

hedgehog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    scooter in reverse runs over TSA agent....hello youtube

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. kkinwi

kkinwi High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my.....you certainly deserve a do over! Kudos for SW dealing with the key issue. Hopefully you will both be laughing about some of the issues as you look back....

• Like Like x 2
  15. GENESIS

GENESIS CANNABUTTER AND WEED PIZZA ..YUMYUMYUM

WEEDLANDIA WHICH IS .05 MILES FROM SATIVAVILLE
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although I'm sorry you had a bummer trip, I do think the patience and understanding you exhibited during your trip was so sweet. Kudos for being an Awesome boyfriend:thumbsup:

This said, many women don't realize that these Eyebrow establishments use the same bonding glue most hair salons use to bond hair weave which can cause serious irritation and loss of eye sight which is scary as hell too me...Now although I've never had it done being that it's just tooo close to my eyeballs which skeeves me out.... I have witnessed other women having lashes applied while waiting to have my eyebrows threaded. Hopefully she won't experience any irritation next time.

Big Props to the women that do:nworthy:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  16. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Next trip will be better, not that you know what NOT to do . . . . .

First trip of 2019 - my birthday
    OK, so I lied. Couldn't pass up the FP offer. Lake Tahoe.
  17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! What a whirlwind trip! As others have said, your patience is very admirable.

18. CheeseHog

CheeseHog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like your priorities are in the right place---next trip will be the best. It will be football season of course

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.