1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Food that Built America (History Channel) and Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy (CNN)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Flowers, Feb 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM.

1. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are into food history at all -- or even if you aren't (I wasn't) -- I implore you to check out both series. Wow. Wow. Wow. I watched all of the episodes of TFTBA last weekend and am watching the replay now of the pizza episode. The history of Pizza Hut and Domino's is INSANE. At 8 pm is a replay of the "Hershey" episode and at 9 pm is a new episode that looks like it will focus on the starting of Burger King, Wendy's, etc. And the connection between those founders and some other food/business geniuses, well, you just can make it up.

I watched the first episode of Stanley Tucci's show last last night on CNN. It focused on the Amalfi Coast and he traveled there during Covid so it is very current. Folks were wearing masks. Tonight at 8 pm EST the Amalfi show is being re-aired and the second episode, focused on Rome, comes on at 9 pm.

Both shows are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the Food that Build America is simply awe inspiring and it becomes so clear that the history of the food business in America in many ways was as transformative as many other types of businesses and inventions that get so much more attention.

Kellogg, Hersey, Heinz, Ray Croc (who was the visionary behind the explosion of McDonalds), the founder of what we know as Kentucky Fried Chicken, the founder of Coca Cola (who was pretty shady in how he dealt with the actual creator of the original Coke recipe, who on his death bed was broke), C.W. Post's daughter, Birds Eye (way ahead of his time in basically inventing how to freeze foods en masse) -- and more. True genius but how they came up with ideas and got started, and sometimes after bankruptcies and so much more, it's just so crazy wild. And the riches that certain original partners unknowingly gave up is collectively now worth many BILLIONS. American history is woven throughout and in addition to a great narrator famous chefs and critics provide commentary throughout.

Absolutely brilliant. Just brilliant.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    A Starry and Spectacular Spring Celebration
    A Trip for the Ages with My Momma in Las Vegas
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If we're talking food shows, I would also add Unwrapped, Ugly Delicious, and whatever the name of Hubert Keller's show was.

The backstory of what we now call "TV Dinners" is pretty cool, too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember totally stumbling upon Hubert Keller's show, which is how I learned about Sparrow + Wolf.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both are great. Looking forward to the comeback of Modern Marvels as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just set up the DVR to record both. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola El Jefe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve always enjoyed his acting, especially in “The Hunger Games.” Glad they didn’t sell out and name the series after that...;)

Thanks for the tip on that series. TFTBA is also awesome; great insight into true visionaries who were willing to plant their flags and take some big time risks.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    Back to Palazzo!!!
    Fountain View from the Boulevard Tower!!! Yee-Haw!!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. donfairplay

donfairplay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like it so far. I actually had to check if I even get the History Channel with Sling TV, thankfully I do.

If you're a fan of similar programming, I suggest Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us a book by Michael Moss, who is a food industry investigative reporter for the New York Times.

It focuses on the processed food industry but has an extremely detailed and easily readable style, and it goes through the entire history of many of them. The references section on this book is insane because of the amount of research he did for the book.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 9:13 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to learn that the Tucci show is good - I'll see if I can find, record reruns. Thanks

I loved the Food that Built America. I think I saw a promo for another season; hope so. Loved the Men that Built America too.

Hubert Keller's show was great. Its why Esther's Kitchen is on my list of must-dos.

2 weeks after 2 shots. Not immune to offers.
    Panoramic
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, I'm going to have to check it out! I'd vaguely heard of it but hadn't watched it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the first episode of Stanley Tucci's show last week and really liked it. I will absolutely have to see if I can catch the Rome episode, as I love Rome and well Italian food.:feedme:

TFBTA sounds like my type of show for sure. I've visited both the Coca-Cola museum (a full day- don't ask:rolleyes:) and toured the Kellogg plant in Battle Creek as a kid. I will look for TFBTA for sure.

• Love Love x 2
  11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% agree! We’ve been enjoying both shows.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found the Tucci show on the free app CNN Go

Panoramic
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW: for people who like both Stanley Tucci and food, you should watch Big Night if you haven't already. I love that movie, and a hell of a cast (Tucci, Tony Shalhoub, Allison Janney, Ian Holm, and more)

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too. Watched the entire series at least twice, maybe three times. Just extraordinary. The food version is equally well done.

15. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite History Channel documentary series was The Presidents. Thanks to that series, I knew the answer to a million dollar question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire with Regis Philbin.

The question: While he was President, Lyndon Johnson had a fountain installed in the White House to dispense what soft drink?

The choices:
    Coca-Cola
    A&W Root Beer
    Yoo-hoo
    Fresca

I had tried out for the show leading up to this particular season but wasn't chosen. When this question came up, I was sick to my stomach. I had gotten the previous 14 correct and would have won the million.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  16. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fresca

I know because its one of Coke's minor marketing efforts.... they remind the world via social media every so often... they own/bottle Fresca. I think I saw a tweet

Panoramic
  17. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That Armando al Pantheon restaurant in the Rome episode is where I took my mom for her 1st dinner in Rome. She loved it. I think I gained 5 lbs just watching that episode though with all of the carbonara, amatriciana, and my favorite cacio e pepe. Worth it though.:D

Katie Parla's blog also has some great recommendations if you're looking for some slightly off-the-beaten-track restaurants in Rome. She gave some interesting food tours, pre-pandemic anyway.

• Love Love x 2
  18. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very good!