1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The BEST view of the valley at night ...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by dmr, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ... well, one of the best, anyway. :)

For years, I've been trying to find some good unobstructed and non-light-polluted views of the Strip from a distance.

The best I found until this last trip was waaaaaaay north on Las Vegas Boulevard by the Speedway. This is the view I posted a few weeks ago in the "Random Photo" thread.

The big problem with that view is that you're looking more or less DOWN the Strip and the major Strip buildings don't really stand out.

I've looked around places such as the highway to Pahrump, which is busy, lotsa headlights, fast cars, no real place that has a view where you can park, set up a tripod, etc.; and in the hills by Henderson, where I've found bright streetlights, walls, construction, and gated-community security guards shoo-ing you away.

I finally found a good "money shot" view of the valley, that is until more development gets in the way.

It's on Lake Mead Boulevard, a couple of miles east of Nellis, as LMB climbs up into the hills right outside the developed area. There's kind of a mound where a tripod can be set up that overlooks the valley and gives a clean view of the Strip. You can see the wheel clearly, as well as the major buildings and The STRAT tower. You also clearly see the Luxor light and planes in/out of McCarran. If you look closely, you can see the silhouette of the mountains in the distance.

Very little traffic, at least there wasn't last Monday night. Maybe one car passing every 5 minutes or so and at the angle of the road, the headlights do not bother the photos at all.

Now, for those of you who are thinking "Eeeeeewwwww, North Las Vegas!", this place does not give off insalubrious vibes at all! It's all upper-midscale recent developments, mostly single family homes in the area. The shots below were taken overlooking one such development.

For those who care, these were shot with 70mm and 135mm lenses respectively. 1/15 (IIRC) and f{mumble}. :) :) LOL - forget.

For those who want to get some good panoramic night shots of the Strip, this is the place!

Closer view here: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4220/34897642922_0ea6a983b0_b.jpg
    ... and here: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4224/34250826723_303f26be92_b.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect location and exposure!

Crop out about 80% of the top and bottom, blow it up and you got yourself a poster for sale.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When did you take those?
    Where you on a break from digging holes to bury the bodies?:wink2:

4. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 Hot Dogs and Buns

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is awesome, thanks for sharing. I love the lights of the strip at night.

5. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice!!!

6. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thankyou for sharing the two stunning photos!

7. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice shots.....I am surprised at the clarity given the possibility of dust, heat waves, and general light pollution.

I have come in to town after dark from Ely a couple times, great view from out bu the race track but lots of lights.

The colors in your pictures are really bright and clear. Nicely done :beer:

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last Monday.

Uh ????? :)

I actually found the view last Saturday as we were taking the back way via NLV to Valley Of Fire. There **WAS** quite a bit of haze that day, so I did not try it that night. (Besides, I had too many beverages.) :) :)

Below is one I took a while back out by the Speedway. There was nothing going on that night, so all of their lights were off. As you can see, there are a few bright lights up ahead, but those just appear as small blown highlights and don't really contaminate anything. This view is farther out, and is more at an angle to the Strip, so the Strip details are not as close and not as clear. There was also more traffic there. Truck headlights coming your way will totally ruin shots like this and I had to wait for a period of no oncoming traffic.

[​IMG]

Thanks {blush} :) There was very little "photoshopping" (actually Gimp), just for minor level correction. As with many night shots, the dynamic range runs from black-cat-in-coal-bin black to surface-of-sun white. The buildings do fall within the linear range of the exposure so they do render quite well.

9. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow - great pictures!!! I love that it shows the entire strip from Mandalay to Strat.... it's a cool perspective seeing the High Roller almost dead center...

Vegas Trip #43!
    Vegas Trip #44!
  10. Sethto80

Sethto80 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice shots. Good ol Sunrise Manor, use to live up there. Plenty of crime unfortunately, some nice houses, but lots of apartments too. Lots of people go park along LMB outside of town and drink and smoke. Desert is littered with glass. Technically not NLV. The short time I lived there, there was multiple break ins, assaults, a couple shootings and who knows what else. Lol.

Try the far south west side, Fort Apache and Warm Springs. Short hike up to the "cave", plenty of room to set up. Or maybe even Observation Park on Blue Diamond Road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.