1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Alpert Five Goes to Florida (June 3-16)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by Richard Alpert, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

My bride and I treated our trio of minions to another long vacation in celebration of the end of another school year. We spent four nights near Orlando and four nights in/near Daytona Beach. We varied our routes down and back to see some different parts of the country and keep up the interest of everyone in the car.

We went down through Nashville and Atlanta as we'd done before, but this time we came back through Jacksonville, Charleston, Louisville, Indianapolis, and the Chicago outskirts.

I mentioned before our trip--in another thread--that I was hoping to share 5 good pics from our trip.
    After taking over 800 pics with my camera, I returned home to find nothing on the SD card or internal memory. :cry: So the only pics I have are a couple I took on my minions' iPad, including this one:

ormond beach.jpg
    My minions took a ton of pics of their own with their devices, but most of those were silly selfies in the car, etc. :faint:

:snore: LODGING :snore:

On the way there:
    Baymont Inn--1 night in Normal, IL
    Super 8--1 night in Clarksville, TN
    Comfort Suites--1 night in Byron, GA

In Florida:
    Rented home--4 nights in Davenport, FL (a few miles from I-4)--gated community, pool, really nice house
    (The folks in the neighboring homes must've thought we were the main characters of the new Beverly Hillbillies or something...)
    Perry's Ocean-edge Resort--1 night in Daytona Beach Shores, FL
    Oceanside 99--3 nights in Ormond Beach, FL

On the way home:
    Hawthorn Suites--1 night in Charleston, SC
    Country Inn and Suites--1 night in London, KY

:woohoo: ATTRACTIONS/ACTIVITIES ENJOYED: :woohoo:
    *Legoland (Winter Haven, FL)--really cool Lego build/model of the Vegas Strip there!
    *Old Town (Kissimmee, FL)
    *Daytona Flea Market (6th Largest!). It seemed like everyone was selling fidget spinners, @Ty !
    *Pirate's Cove Mini Golf :pirate: (Ormond Beach, FL)--my bride and I golfed here 15 years ago on our honeymoon. She's still as beautiful as ever. :kiss: And she still cheats at mini golf! :nono:
    Manatee Boat tours of Intercoastal Waterway (Ponce Inlet, FL)
    *Drove around/though :biker: historic sections of Charleston. Most sites/attractions seemed to be closed by 4:00. Wish we could've made it to Fort Sumter.
    *And, of course, a lot of swimming!

:feedme: DINING: :feedme:
    *Red Robin (Eau Claire, WI)
    *Steak 'n Shake (Normal, IL; Clarksville, TN; Winter Haven, FL; and London, KY)
    *Denny's (?, IL)
    *Cracker Barrel (Murfreesboro, TN)--my first time to a Cracker Barrel!
    *Chick-Fil-A (Stockbridge, GA)--my first time to a Chick-Fil-A!
    *Golden Corral (Cordele, GA and Charleston, SC)
    *Papa John's delivery (Davenport, FL and Ormond Beach, FL)
    *Jimmy John's (at Old Town in Kissimmee, FL)
    *Romano's Macaroni Grill (Kissimmee, FL)
    *Boston Market (Orlando, FL)--my first time to a Boston Market!
    *Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins (Davenport, FL)
    *Burger Kitchen (Legoland in Winter Haven, FL)
    *Buffalo Wild Wings (Daytona Beach, FL)--very close to the Speedway!
    *Deli chicken from Publix (I learned it's pronounced "Publics." My bad! :wink2:)
    *IHOP (twice at Daytona Beach Shores, FL)
    *Shakes at Daytona Flea Market
    *Ruby Tuesdays (Daytona Beach, FL)
    *Outback (Ormond Beach, FL)--my bride and I dined here for the first meal of our honeymoon 15 years ago. Also, thanks again to Kevin Harvick for his top-ten finish on Sunday. We enjoyed the free blooming onions on Monday!
    *Cow Lick's Ice Cream (Daytona Beach Shores, FL)
    *Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen (Daytona Beach, FL) :trophy: MEAL OF THE TRIP! :licklips: I had the Maple Bacon Chicken Sandwich. Yum!
    Wendy's (Brunswick, GA)
    *Fuddrucker's (Spartanburg, SC)
    *Arby's (Rensselaer, IN)
    *Perkins (Black River Falls, WI)

:usa: STATES I VISITED FOR THE FIRST TIME: :usa:
    South Carolina
    North Carolina
    Indiana

:ssst: FINAL THOUGHTS: :ssst:
    We met a lot of really interesting and cool folks during the course of our travels. We saw a lot of beautiful scenery. It's a shame my camera apparently "bit the dust," but the memories of the good times we had will stick with all of us! The time we spent together as a family was priceless! :thumbsup:

Thank you for reading! :D

RICHARD

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  2. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So that was a Alpert tornado that ripped through central Florida. The locals are still talking about it:biker:

Cracker Barrel is good grub :usa:

Charleston is a beautiful city with friendly locals hopefully you ate a bit of seafood during your stay.:feedme:

3. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a great way to celebrate end of school and beginning summer vacation! I'm sure the minions loved Legoland!
    Sad the photos didn't happen, but the memories will last!! Glad you made it to Charleston - a truly lovely city of the South - maybe Fort Sumter next time! Did you try the boiled peanuts and fried green tomatoes so popular in that part of the country? Sounds like a great road trip - brings back memories of our adventures.

(Don't get me started on fidget spinners, spent $160.00 on Amazon so two grandsons could outdo each other with the longest spinning, most unusual, and shiniest - now DH is hooked on his red and black one the boys insisted I buy for grandpa :rolleyes:).

Thanks for sharing!

4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strong family bonds are born through these precious memories that you and your bride has provided to your minions.

You and your bride are blessed with a wonderful family. And your minions are blessed with wonderful parents.

As your minions grow older, these precious and priceless memories become more stronger and meaningful.

Thanks for sharing your trip! I envy you mainlanders. Here in Hawaii all we can do is get in the car and go around in circles......:(:beer:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. martinr

martinr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The whole time I was reading your TR, somehow I had an image of the Griswalds in my head. You did wear your white shoes and belt, didn't you?

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sounds like what the family needed - end of school year trips are the best - memories made with the family. Just wait until the minions are teenagers and then they want nothing to do with you....at least for a few years.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.