1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The $20 Trick thread

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Sonya, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john meriman

john meriman merri by name merry by nature

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20

i tried last september-had 11 nts newly remodelled room booked -wife and i wanted a fridge and coffee maker but were not prepared to pay for them for the 11 nights. i figured $20 dollars tip for 11 nights would not get much.i folded $50 under c card and asked the young lady if there were any complimentery upgrades available for a gratuity showing her the sandwich. she offered a high room with a view-i asked for the fridge and coffee maker-she said she could do that. i asked if there was anything else available and she said she could waive the resort fee. i was delighted as looking for a suite for 11 nights would not be do-able.:wink2::beer:

2. jujubee

jujubee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the info. I cant wait to try it out

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you know you won't already have a fountain view?

4. Universal

Universal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely ask first. If they're not packed when you're checking in, there is a good chance they will assign you a strip view.

5. jackson41

jackson41 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It worked downtown....

Got to the Golden Nugget on a Wednesday at noontime, younger fella was next clerk available. Had my twenty folded ever so tightly between my CC and DL. The clerk ever so gently dropped the cards on his desk, and with his pinky, tapped the bill right under his keyboard (I have been practicing this at home). I inquired about an upgrade.....and he worked at it for awhile, almost seeming like taking an exam, and he moved us from the Carson to the Gold Towers. Very nice for a 7-night stay.

6. acoluzzi

acoluzzi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Works for me every time. Should get you at least a high floor South strip facing room in the West tower.

7. gizmat

gizmat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hiya guys, cant find much info, in the way of success for NYNY,has anyone any recent info for this complex, i'm there in a few weeks, thanks all

8. kcfdmaddog

kcfdmaddog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny you say that. There is a website frontdesktip.com that does exactly that. Tells you what percent of people that have gotten the upgrade.

9. twins_mom

twins_mom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    anyone have success at the Monte Carlo. We're staying there on May 16-20th. What type of room should I expect?

10. twins_mom

twins_mom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or what room could I request?

11. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I'd go to their site and see what rooms are available. From my experience you normally should only aim for roughly the room in the tier above the room you booked, but heck shoot for the stars if you want.

For example, if you booked a Deluxe room, ask for a "High floor deluxe" or "Strip view Deluxe".

If you are ballsy or checking in on a off-day, try for a Monaco Suite, but don't count on it I'd say.

12. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here at MC right now...checked in Monday. $20 got me an 8am check-in and Strip view room on the 30th floor. I'm pretty happy with that.

13. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To the people who ask "is it worth it" or "should I try", here's a question for you:

What is the number 1 thing that is legal in Las Vegas, that generally is not legal in most other cities?

A: Gambling

Much like everything, it's a gamble. Try it and find out. Asking if it's worth it, is pointless. Hold the $20 in your hand in plain sight of the desk person, and ask for the upgrade. If they can't or refuse, put it in your pocket. Done deal

14. twins_mom

twins_mom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying at the Monte Carlo in a Deluxe room from May 16-20. With the $20 tip, what are my chances of getting a spa room?

15. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *pinches bridge of nose and sighs*

OK. I give up.

Here...here are the odds.

http://www.frontdesktip.com/

16. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any luck or tips for trying this at the Trump? I did some googling and found lots of people had success. I actually won my room for a Sat-Mon in May, in a Priceline fail... but I'd love to have an impressive room for my friends first stay in Vegas.

My dad actually tried it at Vdara a few weeks ago, he got upgraded from a regular deluxe room to a 1 bedroom Vdara suite with fountain view, for 5 nights, he was so excited. They were actually ready to pay to upgrade.. I told them to test this out instead and it worked. He said he could tell the lady really wanted the $20...

Not sure how that would work on such a high level room... I mean how many of those are available?

17. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back Saturday from a comp'd stay at MC. $20 got me an 8am check-in and a 30th floor room with a Strip view. The gentleman at the desk then called the room and asked if it met my expectations. I'd say that worked out well.

Not a thread hijack, but I did manage to see a deluxe room at Hotel 32. I don't know what the suites look like, but the deluxe look just a little more updated than my room. It had the exact same layout and sq. footage. Certainly not worth the $200 they want.

18. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Go at Harrah's

I tried the $20 sandwich at 1pm on Sunday March 18th at Harrah's. Check in line was pretty long, but not too bad. Handed the sandwich to an older woman who politely handed back the $20 and said "we can't take tips, but you have the option to pay for an upgrade." I chose not to pay for an upgrade, but ended up getting a decent room in the carnival tower on the 19th floor with a King size bed.

19. sceej

sceej Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worked at Bally's 3/28 check in

Checked in about noon on 3/28/12 ... skipped one guy to get cheerful looking middle aged Asian. Placed the $20 between credit card and ID and asked if there were any free upgrades. Pleasant little "Is that for me?" ... typed a little ... and was upgraded from South Tower to North Tower ... 23rd floor ... which said "Diamond Floor". Spacious room had a fridge and pretty decent view - felt it was worth an extra $20.

20. Vegabound

Vegabound Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I Love that reply!!:nworthy: Just do it.. i know it's all over this thread.. I will.. 1st gamble of the trip...and I actually should get my money back if it fails...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.