1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thanksgiving in Vegas-Pt 1

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Sue, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue

    Sue Tourist

    Sep 17, 2002
    Las Vegas

    My Trip Report

    Sorry this one is kind of late, and kind of long...

    I had been looking forward to this trip for months. My good friend Jill and I were going out to visit my sister Kristy and Jill’s sister Amanda in Vegas. Kristy and Amanda share an apartment, so we were all going to share an apartment for almost a week.

    Tuesday, November 21- Jill and I were leaving out of Milwaukee at 730pm. Since it was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and we had already been hearing warnings about the long lines at the airport, we got to the airport early, around 500pm. We walked in and the airport was dead! No lines to check in and no lines at security. I couldn’t believe it! As I was going through security, the guy in front of me was stopped by a TSA agent for a bag search. The search area was right near some chairs, so as I sat down to put on my shoes, I was watching the search. The guy (about 65 years old) was carrying full size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, etc. The TSA agent asked him if he had heard about the liquid restrictions and the guy said “No, I haven’t. What’s it all about?” As I walked to my gate, I thought to myself, “Wow, I guess some people really do still live in caves.” Our plane left on time and we had a pretty smooth flight out to Vegas.

    McCarran was the exact opposite of Milwaukee’s airport. It was PACKED! We found our sisters at the baggage claim and had a joyous reunion. Then we waited and waited and waited and waited for our luggage. I am not kidding; it took at least 45 minutes for our luggage to arrive after we got to the baggage claim. We finally got on the road, stopped at Burger King for a late dinner and got to their apartment. Both Kristy and Amanda are teachers and they still had to teach on Wednesday, so Jill and I were going to school with them for the day to see our little sisters in action. Because we had to get up early, we all went to bed by midnight.

    Wednesday, November 22-After a somewhat comfortable night sleeping on the couch, I got up early to go to school with Kristy (Amanda teaches at a different school, so she and Jill left earlier). Kristy teaches fifth grade and in one tiny classroom, she has 27 students. We got there and she immediately put me to work figuring out attendance and grades for her and for other teachers. I learned the real reason why she wanted me there: cheap labor. Oh well, I got to see her teach and I got to meet her students. At lunchtime, I asked her how she was not a raging alcoholic after dealing with these kids. I am not kidding, these kids were crazy. They talked whenever they wanted, got up from their desks and walked around in the middle of a lesson and they disrespected Kristy horribly. If I had ever done that as a kid, I would have gotten in trouble in school and then I would have had to go home and face my parents, who would have given me ten times worse than the school would have. Anyway, the afternoon was pretty much the same.

    As soon as 320pm hit, we got out of there as fast as we could and headed back to the apartment. On the way home, we stopped at the grocery store for last minute Thanksgiving fixings and I of course had to play the grocery slots. I lost my dollar and we headed out. We got back to the apartment, changed, collected Jill and Amanda and went to the Rio buffet for dinner. We had a good time there and it was good food. The only downer was that I could tell I was getting a migraine. I started taking my migraine pills like they were candy and we headed over towards the strip. We parked at NYNY and hung around the casino for awhile. We then went over to the MGM Grand and played the slots. I came out about $10 ahead, while Jill, Amanda and Kristy broke even. By that time my migraine had come on full blown, but I was determined to keep on going. We walked down to the Grand Canyon store and looked around at the tacky souvenirs. Kristy and Amanda got some Mike’s Hard Lemonades and were drinking them with the bottles still in the brown paper bags, wino style. I told my sister she looked like a hobo. After that, we went to M&M world because Jill wanted to bring back some M&M’s for her coworkers. I know that most people go nuts over M&M world, but I don’t. I don’t like chocolate and I don’t like kids and M&M world has both in abundance. I went through with them for awhile and then I sat outside because my migraine had gotten much worse and I knew I would be losing my dinner soon. Kristy came out shortly after and asked if I was OK. I looked at her and said no and asked if she minded if we left after Jill and Amanda were done at M&M world. Kristy’s eyes grew big and she asked me if she should call 911. I looked at her like she was crazy and said “No! Why do you ask that?” She just stared at me and said “You’re calling an early end to a night on the strip. I never thought I would see the day when that happened.” Jill and Amanda came out then and I asked them if they minded if we ended the night. They both stared at me and then Jill turned to Kristy and asked, “Should we take her to the ER? She is ending a night on the strip early?” I assured all of them that I did not need a trip to the ER; I just needed my really strong medicine and sleep. We hoofed it back to NYNY and got back to the apartment in record time. Kristy gave me her bed for the night, so I took my strong medicine and passed out, all by 1130pm.

    Thursday, November 23 (Thanksgiving Day) - I woke up headache free at about 10am. I lounged in bed for awhile and then decided to go out and start Thanksgiving dinner since we wanted to eat by about 400pm. I got out to the kitchen and found Kristy baking her pies. A thing about Kristy and her pies, we have to have them on Thanksgiving. I mean we HAVE to have them, period. One Thanksgiving while Kristy was in college, me and my other sister made Thanksgiving dinner, and Kristy arrived just in time to eat and she learned we made chocolate cake instead of pumpkin pie. You would have thought we had committed crimes against humanity. She went berserk. So now she makes the pies for Thanksgiving and she usually talks about the chocolate cake Thanksgiving while she bakes them. So while she made the pies, I looked at the day after Thanksgiving ads and created the game plan for the next day. I am that crazy person that gets to the stores by 445am the day after Thanksgiving to get the early bird sales and this year, Kristy was going with me. After her pies were done, I started on the bird and potatoes. About 5 minutes into cooking I steam burned three of my fingers from the cuticles to the knuckles when I lifted a pot lid. That was not cool. As a result, I cooked for the rest of the day with one hand. On the other hand, I had bags of beans, corn and ice. Dinner turned out really well, despite my injury and the burn Kristy received while taking her pies out of the oven.

    After dinner, Jill and Amanda went out with some of Amanda’s friends and Kristy and I went to Red Rock casino to see the movie Borat. It was hilarious! Afterward, we played some of the slots and each came out about $5 ahead. We also relived some of our childhood memories by going into the arcade at Red Rock and played Skee-ball. After that, we went back to the apartment and went to bed since we had to be up by 4am to shop on Friday.
  2. vegasdrea

    vegasdrea Buckle Bunny

    Nov 29, 2004
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    great reads so far :thumbsup: more please...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.