1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tetrazzini question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by notfromconcentrate, Dec 3, 2018.

1. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Omg had a long dead elderly relative made ambrosia for all of the holidays in the 80s and 90s. Truly awful.

Ooh do you Canadians eat seven layer salad? I have an aunt in law who makes that. It reminds me that we used to have seven layer jello at a lot of holidays when I was young.

We also had this at every holiday

https://www.3yummytummies.com/whiskey-sour-slushes/

Except we used a full cup of sugar. they don’t say it but it’s easiest to get the sugar mixed in if you dissolve it into the tea when it’s still hot.

2. notfromconcentrate

notfromconcentrate High-rolling diner. Low-rolling gambler.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What fresh hell is this?!

[​IMG]

Okay. You have to be kidding me.

[​IMG]

You would have to pay me to eat even a small portion of either of these things... and by pay me, I'm talking $100 or more, with no guarantee that I'd go beyond a few bites. I'm adventurous, but these things look positively vile.

Were you guys coerced into eating this stuff or something? I feel my appetite disappearing just looking at these pictures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Texas Steph

Texas Steph A Work in Progress...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seven layer salad?? Eeew.

Now, Seven Layer Dip... Mmmmm!!

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Dad used to make Whiskey Sours in a blender with a small can of frozen concentrated lemonade, then refill the can with CC (Canadian Club Whisky), add ice, then add a couple of squirts of Frothee (a cocktail foamer) and let the blender do it’s business.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. RibbonCat

RibbonCat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to travel to Duluth, Minnesota you can have very yummy chicken tetrazzini at Grandma's Saloon and Grill: https://www.grandmasrestaurants.com/canal-park/. I love it!

From their menu: "Once reserved for only the prestigious underworld guest, this famous dish features breast of chicken sautéed and served over your choice of fettuccine or wild rice, then topped with a rich Mornay sauce with melted Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Now available to everyone."

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That one looks yummy! :)

While this one looks like totally 144 fer-shure, ya know, to the max. :)

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ll wait until the permafrost ends to make that trip.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. azlefty

azlefty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was learning to cook for myself, I made turkey tettrazini expecting it to be something exotic. It wasn't, but I ate it anyway.

9. luridludicloco

luridludicloco Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1.- I have had Chicken Tetrazzini and well made is delicious, but that can be said of any dish, it all depends how it was prepared and who prepared it. Never had Turkey Tetrazzini.

2.- I never had Chicken Tetrazzini in Las Vegas, but I vaguely remember that some twenty years ago it was offered at Terraza (no longer exists) in Caesars Palace as a special one evening. I have seen on the Internet a recipe of Chicken Tetrazzini by none other than Giada,

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chicken-tetrazzini-recipe-1943960

Perhaps she offers this dish in her restaurant at the Cromwell? If so, that might be worth trying.

3.- As to should you have Chicken Tetrazzini one night for dinner instead of something at Pepe's Tacos, that is a more difficult question to answer. If I were you, and I found a place where the dish promises to be good, then I will opt for that and try something new, as I know I can always go to Pepe's, unless, of course, I have an irresistible craving for those tacos that night.

Anyway, also if I were you and had Chicken Tetrazzini for dinner, then if offered I would have for dessert Peach Melba.

Bon appétit.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I looked and it is not on the menu at Giadas

11. luridludicloco

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pity.

I searched the Internet and found that Michael Mina Nobhill Tavern has Chicken Tetrazzini, and that would be a good bet, but then I saw it closed. I'm sorry to be of no help as I know nothing about Longhorn. Do they have good VP?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. notfromconcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha! I did the exact same search, saw Nobhill, got excited because it's a Michael Mina restaurant, Googled "Nobhill Tavern" and also saw it closed. Sorry, it just cracks me up that you did exactly what I did :)

According to VPFree2, they don't appear to have particularly good video poker. Just four 98.91% DW44 machines. I'm a real newbie when it comes to video poker, not quite at the level of reading paytables just yet. I'd be happy to snap some photos of paytables for you on Sunday night if you'd like.

I do have to say though... I'm getting more and more tempted to forego the tacos and have the Tetrazzini instead, since it seems to be just that rare of a dish. I'm well aware that it's a boring and unexciting "throw something together" home meal by virtually all standards... but the same can be said about macaroni and cheese, which is a cultural staple despite being rarely found in restaurants.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can find mac and cheese all over in restaurants in the States. Granted, it may be a side and not a main dish, but I see it all the time.

14. luridludicloco

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it is a chicken, pasta, cheese, mushroom casserole dish that can be divine or awful depending on who makes it and how it is made. Michael Mina, I saw, used truffles, so he must have presented a fine dish. One story is that the chef at the San Francisco hotel the diva Luisa Tetrazzini was staying at in the early XXth century created the dish for her, so the original must have been delicious too, I am sure. There is no record that I have found of that original recipe. I of course heard of and heard recordings of Luisa much before I knew and tasted the dish and, being an opera fan, I would have it whenever I find it in a decent restaurant. Not knowing Longhorn, I don't dare recommend it to you over Pepe's tacos.

Here is Luisa with her full and agile high notes.

15. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mrs. JG whipped up a turkey pot pie.

• Like Like x 1
  16. notfromconcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're correct. I should have been more specific... I meant more like "home-style" mac and cheese - and like you said, a main vs a side. Typically what you'll find at restaurants will be a "fancy" version with things like mushrooms, truffle oil, rich cheeses, or pancetta. By comparison, if you were to introduce a foreigner to "real" mac and cheese, it would be the grocery store stuff made with powdered cheese and milk in a pot. I think that having a small portion of fancy mac and cheese alongside steak or chicken doesn't quite capture the essence of mac and cheese in the context in which it is known as a cultural staple.

Bringing that back to the original point... I have no idea whether Longhorn's version will be the "home-style" version of tetrazzini, or the "fancy" version. Being the Longhorn, my instinct is leaning towards the former.

At this point, my gameplan is to check Longhorn's Instagram on Sunday and see if they post any pictures of it in their story (they do this frequently). If it looks appetizing, I'll do the tetrazzini with the knowledge that I've had Pepe's before and I can simply go another time since they're likely not disappearing any time soon. If it just looks meh, I'll go with the original plan of Pepe's Tacos.

17. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting thread thus far.

The thing I've noticed here at the Robinson ranch, is that we have 'settled into' a routine for Thanksgiving dinner. Two perennial items: green bean casserole and the obligatory sweet potatoes w/marshmallows. Every other day of the year, I do the cookin'. Thanksgiving - the wife & MIL. Part of me wants a culinary uprising to get rid of the sides and try something new. The other part of me realizes that for the MIL, this is her one day not to cook, and 75% of those seated at the table want simplicity rather than an experiment.

In looking at some of what's offered here...Ambrosia Salad, Chicken Tetrazzini, those are things I haven't seen since I was a kid in the 60's. Can't say as I'd actually pay for either of those items at a restaurant, but I do appreciate their entry level cooking value. As for mac-n-cheese, not really down with the boxed renditions. Haven't had that since back in the 80's. Prefer the hand crafted; and it's something you can modify...enhance...pretty easily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really laughed so hard at some of these posts. These are American recipes from the late 1950s and early 1960s when women wore white gloves to go out and had lunch clubs. Ambrosia salad, jello/aspic salad, 7 layer salad, all horrible foods...each one worse than the one that came out before it. It was the age of mayonnaise and Cool Whip. The greenbean casserole with frozen french cut green beans, Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and French's fried onions, as well as mashed sweet potatoes with walnuts and marshmallows, are Thanksgiving dinner classic dishes from the same period. If you were young then, like me, than all of these horrible dishes actually make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and puts a smile on your face when you see them because they taste like good memories. A millennial newbie?...there must be better food to try now-a-days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. notfromconcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's a really silly question... if it's regarded as such horrible food, why did it get served in the first place - and why did it keep on getting served? I'm trying to make heads or tails of how or why this became or even remained a thing.

Interesting point about there being better foods to try nowadays... there are certainly newer forms of cuisine that have their own interesting attributes, such as avocado-heavy recipes, plant-based meat replicas like the Impossible burger, and the use of foams. But there's something about "good old" recipes such as the new-to-me tetrazzini, which ties into my fascination with relics of 20th century American history. That fascination is primarily built around things like old-school department stores, and early versions of things that we know and use today. For example, one trip I'm contemplating making is to one of the oldest soda shops in the United States that still has its original soda fountain from nearly 100 years ago. Since recipes like tetrazzini are, too, a relic of the very different world of several decades ago, I'm naturally fascinated by them too.

Well, perhaps selectively that is :) after Googling what an aspic salad is, I'm sure that I turned a pale shade of white. This cannot be real. I truly, sincerely cannot believe that this was considered to be a food... and I am not saying that facetiously - I actually cannot believe it. I would put more faith in this being an Internet hoax made with some kind of sci-fi movie prop, than in the idea that this could have actually been a food that people willingly prepared and ate.

Despite my disgust, its this kind of discovery that keeps my curiosity churning.

[​IMG]

20. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ambrosia reference

GB casserole will never again pass my lips:vomit:

back in parochial school prison they served versions of tetrazinni ...shiver

and fridays was always mrs pauls fish sticks with canned corn or carrots/peas and tater tots.

notfrom? do you eat that french pork pate on bread with mustard? meat pie?
    the 1st i can stomach..the 2nd...nfw

• Agree Agree x 1