1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Swagtron out . . . Juiced in

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, May 27, 2021.

1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, so before people start questioning my sanity, and whether or not I'm going senile, note that:

“The major part of me resisting to buy a “high-end” bike was the range. Most of the "cheaper" bikes had a 20 mile or less range. I wanted something a little "meatier"

As I told BFF, " . . . remember, I rode a moped from my house to a girlfriend's house about 50 years ago . . . . (4.5 miles across San Francisco)

This bike is designed as a “delivery” bike, so has room to carry things. So I can use it for short grocery runs. It has enough power to go up the hill to Olivera Egg Ranch (2.6 miles up a hill), and the range to go to Tenma Ramen (13 miles across town). (although I doubt that I’d ever go that far.)

Also, since I live so close to work (2.2 miles) , it replaces what I had originally bought the Segway for, which was a commute vehicle. I will put it up on CL and take $300 or so for it, just to get it out of the house.

It’s being partly financed by the fact that June is my last scheduled trip to Las Vegas until November.”

So, Juiced had an open box sale, and I bought (for about 33% off), this . . .

[​IMG]
    https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/hyperscorpion-express

The top speed (Class 2) is 20 mph and it has a range of 70+. I can upgrade it to Class 3 and it will have a top speed of 30 Mph.

It's not a good time for buying a used car, and for $2200 incl. tax), this is a LOT cheaper than buying a second car.

Now that summer is here, I can ride it to work (4 miles), and not worry about "how am I going to carry stuff".

I will now be in the process of selling the Ninebot S.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    (confirmed) First HGS weekend
    Palazzo - break before 2nd HGS weekend
    • Like Like x 5
  2. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems a lot more practical and safer than the Segway.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not gonna lie, that looks like it’d be a blast to ride.

5. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh Yyyyyyeeeeaaaahhhhhhh. The Juiced bike is BADASSED. I just took my son's Scorpion X out for a test drive. Against the wind, with my 210+ frame, it took me up to 25 MPH!!!!

Makes me want to work on finishing putting my Hyperscorpion Express together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I assembled the Hyperscorpion. Note that the particular model that I bought was "designed" for food delivery, so why not use it just for that . . . .
    upload_2021-6-11_11-40-19.png
    upload_2021-6-11_11-40-53.png

So, I rode over to the Chinese delicatessen to get half a roast duck and some char siew

Oh yeah, as a quick update. In off-road mode this thing does 30MPH!!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, two interesting things learned today.

1) It can climb steep hills BUT
    a)You need to pedal assist while doing so.

I was doing an experiment for BFF. He has a steep hill outside his house and was wondering if an electric bike (Juiced in my case) would negotiate it, so I did an informal experiment. I went up to Olivera Egg Ranch and tried to do it on just throttle, and the bike stalled out after 10 yds.
    Today, at the end of my ride, I decided to try it again, but this time I put the bike in "pedal" 3rd gear and got a running start. I made it up the hill, and there was no way of knowing how far I would get because the battery turned off.

Yes, when I ride the bike, I typically ride it at full throttle and don't pedal much, so the battery was a 1/4 left.

So, the second thing that I learned was:

2)I can pedal the bike home 2.5 miles on a 1/2 downhill, 1/2 flat terrain.
    So, your might be saying, "Pedal a bike home 2 and a half miles, what are you, some sort of weakling??", but before you say that, let me tell you:

The bike weighs 100 lbs.
    I weigh over 200 lbs.

So, imagine if you weighed 150 lbs. and you put 125 lbs. on your back.

Still, I've only been riding this thing for two days, and I'm getting used to the quirks of the bike.

Tomorrow morning, I'm gonna take the bike out for a 9.2 mile run to Ramen Tenma. I'm going to try to ride the bike in "Eco" mode (20 MPH speed limit and pedal assist). I may pack an extra battery (my son's) just for extra safety.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  8. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always find your posts informative and extremely entertaining. The seg ay posts decided for me that I'm too old to try, and your powered bike post is interesting because my wife is starting to have trouble going up hills on a regular bike. (I'm not going to admit to anything, a day after my 69th birthday)

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I found out why the battery "cut" out and I had to pedal home. USER ERROR!!!!!!

1) The Juiced cycle battery has two fuses installed. One is the working, and one is the spare. I blew the fuse and neglected to install the spare.

2) The spare one was on the floor, and I had neglected it since the bike was running . . . .bad DaiLun :cry:

I don't know if this is "normal" for a fuse to blow, so since I have two bikes, I bought a pack of 25 30A fuses.

I'm back in business. My previously scheduled trip to Tai Pan Dim Sum Bakery tomorrow morning is ON!!!! I know that I said Tenma Ramen, but they won't be Open that early, but the Dim Sum bakery will be.

10. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, the last update in this thread. Took the bike out to Ramen Tenma, about 10 miles from the house
    upload_2021-6-13_10-13-12.png
    at 30 miles an hour, it took about 40 minutes, but the battery life drain was significant. Going back home, I put it on ECO mode (battery conservation mode, which limits the speed to 20 MPH). I also pedaled a significant amount of the way, but made it home with the battery level on one bar.

So, a 210 lb. person, going at 30MPH, has an effective range of about 20 miles. I will take it out in ECO mode and see what the range is.

Now, to be completely honest, I bought this to go from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time, and my commute is 3 miles each way, so range isn't that much of a factor. Most of the places I will take the bike are within a 5 mile radius. So, I find this a great piece of equipment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll certainly be "unique" riding that around Elko!

12. Mzctbb

Mzctbb Life is a garden...dig it!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What happened to my horse idea...I think you could get 100 miles out of a bale of hay and a gallon of water!:D

Very cool, I wish I lived close enough to my office to use something like the Juiced bike...for now I am stuck with a gas powered automobile.

Mike

13. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, and one last thing. 20 MPH is the top end "legal" speed, and is the speed limit used to make MOST calculations for range. 30 MPH is "not" street legal and requires registration and a license in order to use it. I am going to keep that in mind for all future riding.