1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Lhammer28, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello!
    I was reading a TR and something dawned on me, I booked the last flight of the day! I'm only going to 48 hrs....ahhh I don't even want to think about it but how often are SWA flights not on time?
    I've flown them out of MKE quite a few times and only had 2 issues but I never have booked the last flight of the day!!!

I think I might keep an eye out and possibly change the flight!

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never booked the last flight of the day, usually the afternoon non-stop, but very rare for it to be late.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ONLY problem you might have (as I did once), would be if MKE is a routing point and the inbound flight doesn't make it to your airport OR (as in my case) there is a malfunction on the way in and the flight can't make it out.

I think very low.

• Like Like x 1
  4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can go to a site like flight aware , type in the airline and the flight, you'll see that flights record for at least 2 weeks listing arrival/departure times, etc, as well as the avg delays(if any).

• Like Like x 2
  5. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a loyal SWA flyer. I have had some bad luck booking late flights. They are often significantly late and I've had a couple of them cancelled completely. As difficult as it is, I try to stick to flights that depart in the AM or early afternoon. They are almost always right on time. YMMV.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes..try for an earlier flight!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our last flight scheduled to depart at 1 PM and it was close. The thing is that flight started in Florida, came to Milwaukee, where we fly non-stop to Vegas. Then that same plane turned around and went to Phoenix and then somewhere in Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have booked the last flight of the day home on SWA a couple times and once it ended up being an hour and a half late. But that only happened once. As a general rule, the later in the day your flight is scheduled, the better the chance it will be delayed. After all, if there is a storm in some other part of the country where your flight is coming from at any point in the day, it can have a domino effect that delays later flights

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  9. imheids

imheids Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try to leave MKE early and leave Vegas late. What time of the year are you going? Would winter weather be an issue?

10. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ME TOO! First non stop of the day in Milwaukee, last non stop in Vegas

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not us. I just hate getting up when it is still dark outside and then I hate driving all the way home when it is dark. We'll stick to the midday leaving MKE and that 9:30 AM flying back from from LAS.

12. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done the MKE - LAS non-stops often, and I've only had a late flight once in each direction.

This past April, we left MKE 90 minutes late due to a fuel gauge problem that wasn't announced until after we had pulled away from the gate.

A few years ago, my flight was late leaving LAS due to the inbound plane having been delayed at the previous airport by weather.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  13. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always fly SWA and very often take the last flight out of Vegas when returning to Houston and I don't think we've ever had any issues. I think once or twice they asked for volunteers to get bumped and we always seriously consider it but never have usually because I have to be at work the next morning. Of course HOU is an SWA hub so that might be the reason we never has any issue.

14. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go back and "pretend" to make an identical reservation. When you look at the choices for the day you can click on the flight number and it will give you a % for on time departure / arrivals although that can be manipulated by pushing back from the gate and sitting and inflated travel times. But it is a good reference.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.