1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA - I Think I'm Finished With EB Check-in Due To Seat Saving

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ExVegasLocal, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. No problem with Gate Agent and apparent male vs female boarding with wrong BP? Or do you have names that could be either way?

My wife is A-list and she boards well ahead of me and tries to get the LUV seats though she prefers that I deal with that stuff.

2. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife certainly has a "girly" name and I don't. The gate agents just scan away and over 30 trips together, we have never been questioned. Besides, all she needs to say is "my husband is back there because he is a gentleman and wants me to board first." I can give a similar response that "my wife has already boarded first since I am a gentleman."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have the patience to read five pages of comments today, but the SWA seat saving debates always entertain me, ever since I learned I'm an asshole for saving the seat next to me, despite not paying to get on the plane, and boarding after everyone who has paid to get on first. I'm still flattered by the idea that people who paid to get on the plane want to protect their right to give up their seat and move further back to sit right next to me.

As for saving a row of seats as was the case in Hawaii, I feel like the SWA policy of not caring about it really makes those who pay to board early look like suckers. Yes, there's still a value, if you value earlier access than me, but SWA doesn't seem interested in enhancing the value. A curious strategy if revenue growth is of any interest to SWA.

I'll read the rest later tonight. Seat saving horror stories are typically amusing, albeit disheartening. I often wonder if the villains in these stories have even a clue that they're the scum of the earth.

4. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think most people would agree that it is reasonable to save 1 seat next to yours and most certainly not an entire row. That said, I would never pay for early boarding on SWA so it doesn't matter to me much.

5. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please reread what I posted. One of the women WORKED FOR THE DOCTOR. Do you think she might have known him personally? And might he have just done her a favor because she worked for him?

6. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife would understand if it is a PREMIUM seat that she did not pay extra for and someone else did.

7. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always do.

A couple of years ago on my trip to Vegas, some jerk was saving an entire row of seats. By entire row, I mean all three seats on both sides of the aisle. I sat in the aisle seat in the row he was saving. He said that seat's being saved and I told him SWA had open seating and if he didn't want to sit by me, he could sit elswhere. He got up and proceeded to save the seats in the next row back.

Whenever I board with Southwest, the first thing I ask is if I can take any seat and the answer is always yes. So no one is saving seats. If I want a seat I'm taking it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an "invisible" illness and disability. I'm not willing to go into great detail here in public, but suffice it to say I never know when or if my body will cooperate. Sometimes I arrive at the airport and I am fine and can and do make the walk to the gate and sometimes I need a wheelchair. I get to the airport super-early because I have no idea what I might be in for physically. While in the air sometimes I can improve or become worse. I am probably one of the people 99% of these folks here have passed judgment on. Now I'm smart enough to know that many folks take advantage of SWA's disability pre board program. Just a reminder that not everyone is gaming the system and it's really NOT ANY of YOUR business as to why a person has asked for and been given pre board status. Maybe you should count your blessings that YOU don't REQUIRE additional help for your mobility. Believe me, I'd rather have a C Seat.

AFA saving seats is concerned - I don't see why it is such a problem for folks when a person saves one seat. The entire row, shrug, not even sure I care about that either. Saving TWO rows???? Well, that's just greedy, particularly being exit rows. I also don't know how comfortable I am with a greedy MFer in the Exit Row as they are part of my "survival" team in case of an emergency. I personally feel that perhaps on a "advantage seat" (exit or bulkhead) there shouldn't be any saving at all.

And P.S. to all of that. When traveling as a couple...just buy ONE EB. Voila! I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be seated next to your travel partner. My DH and I tend to make plans or change them due to travel delays etc. We also might share a tablet to watch the same movie or snacks etc.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fair enough, but let me ask this: Let's say you're afflicted before boarding and need assistance getting you into prime seat 1. You recover during the flight well enough to pop up and deplane without incident or apparent disability. While people -- in a perfect sense -- should not be judgmental, I think you do have to allow that that would raise some eyebrows.

As for that last bit -- Voila! Buy two EBs and you can sit with your travel partner with far less angst and fanfare.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with this 100%. I try not to be judgemental, but it's not possible that 8-10 passengers have "hidden illnesses" that require early boarding but magically disappear upon landing (which I've witnessed on a number of flights). Most if not all of them are gaming the system. It would be nice if people were honest, but since many are not, SWA should probably either require a doctor's note for early boarding or have all early boarders sit in the back of the plane, which would be a big disincentive to gaming the system.

• Like Like x 1
  12. drdestructo

drdestructo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My situation has a twist. I purchase 2 seats through SWA's customer of size policy and get early boarding as I am given a reserved sign for the seat next to me. When traveling with with my wife, we purchase EB for her. I have been told by several gate agents that my wife could board with me as well, but we only did that once when her EB was B44. Having lost over 60 pounds this past year, I am still a big guy. I do feel self conscious with early boarding as I do not need a wheelchair or have any other issues other than desiring extra space by purchasing the extra seat.

• Like Like x 3
  13. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would totally be on board with that. Although, I don't think they should be relegated to the back of the plane. I think they should institute the same policy with support animals - need a certification of some sort. That might simply be a general doctor's note or perhaps some other form of verification. Perhaps you can/could apply when applying for a Handicapped Placard with DMV. Makes total sense and then I wouldn't have the "raised eyebrows" someone mentioned above.

Personally, I could give a rat's ass as to anyone's opinion of me, my disability, my looks, sex or any other piece of me or my life. Judge away. I was simply cluing in the Clueless that sometimes things are not as they appear. Raise your eyebrows, hands, legs or any other body part that makes you feel better. LMFAO!

We, in the disabled community, refer to that judgment as Ableism. (Mostly thinking about relegating disabled folks to the back of the bus...er, plane.)

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And maybe it would just be best to get rid of the carnival crush of SWA seating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reason Customers of Size get preboard authorization is to guarantee that two adjacent seats are available for the Customer or Size.

Signed, a former Customer of Size.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  16. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several comments here about "well, I'm ok with saving 1 seat, or maybe two, or maybe even the whole row", i assume those are from people that save seats.

The rules are clear, they have open seating, you dont get to save even one. Now sure, most people wont push the issue and will just keep walking to the back, but i wouldn't count on it. I dont understand why people cant just respect their fellow passengers, and follow the rules. If you're boarding numbers are not consecutive, and you really want to sit together, you should board with the later group.

Everyone wants to be treated with respect, if you want respect, you should give respect.

• Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cant speak for everyone, but when I talk about the people that abuse the system, I DO take into consideration there may be some with a "hidden" condition.
    however, I still believe that there are WAY TO MANY that are just abusing the system just to get a better seat. period.
    I could qualify for wheelchair / pre-boarding, and a handicap tag for my two cars, but I chose not to.
    I WANT to be able to walk as long as I can walk, no matter how much pain or how difficult it is. I DO NOT want to sit down and give up. once a person does that, deterioration comes quick.
    for the ones that are truly handicapped, I feel for them. for the ones that are just entitled, well.... I have feelings ABOUT them too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My opinion is that it’s ok to save one middle seat next to your seat (assuming your seat is an aisle or window).

It’s not ok to save a row.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a ‘pick and play’ airline carrier here in Canada. My last flight and my next flight are with them. I picked and paid extra for the seat and luggage.

People still try and skirt the rules....then complain when the airline doesn’t let them bend the rules.

20. vegasvp

vegasvp VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Best post of this thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.