1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA....Holy Crap...Prices are SKY HIGH

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Username, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually go to San Antonio or Austin as each is less than two hours from the house. HOWEVERRRRRR, if you want a real shock check out Dallas Love Field to Las Vegas with the low fare calendar....lots of 100 $ each way although the flights are not the best times and none are nonstop. We are considering such for the Super Bowl in February and only worry about the weather for the drive (that far north is / can be a disaster) ha.... but have to agree with previous poster, you need to check various airports as the general "sale" seems non-existent. Flying in October from San Antonio for 192. $ R/T but going on a Wednesday and coming back on a Tuesday. I have the time so I can do the crime......Mitt may be right.... but in 4 more years somebody may again be pointing out 2012 were the good old days and you were better off then too.....lol

2. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    peak dates.....spring break...

3. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I initially thought....but NO....I checked using SWA monthly calendar and the cheapest starting Oct 1st thru April is $248 ONE WAY.

4. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I highly recommend the SWA credit card, it is the only one I am willing to pay an annual fee for. As long as you are able to utilize web only fares it is pretty close to double miles. And when they offer that fifty thousand points sign up they are generally usable in about four weeks-and the airport rep throws in a free t-shirt.

5. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just checked again and our flight to Vegas just went up another $10 per person.......so it's $258 to Vegas PER PERSON and $287 to home PER PERSON or $1090.00 round trip for both of us....when we just paid $575 Total for both of us in August.....and now it will be 62,758 point for both of us for round trip tickets....so I guess that 50,000 points for signing up for the SWA Credit Card isn't going to cut it.....

BTW the SWA Credit Card offer now is "Apply for the Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card2 and we'll get you started with $100 statement credit plus 10,000 bonus points after your first purchase"..........:rolleyes2:

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    geez that sucks, I still have 18,xxx points left over after getting 2 tickets with that 50k signup bonus

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On Sept 5th I signed my wife up for a SWA card with 50,000 sign up bonus.
    $69 annual fee and you must charge $1,000 in the first 3 months to receive the miles.

Funny we haven't used the last 50,000 from the card she cancelled in July.

I was going to post the link, but I see the offer has already expired.

8. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait for Black Friday

I have had incredible luck purchasing tickets with SWA on "Black Friday" or the day after Thanksgiving and through that weekend. They usually have a BIG sale then. So I'd hold off if they remain high until then to see what they do. Last year we got PDX to LAS for 139 round trip for our Feb Confrence we attend each year.
    Good Luck. I would hate it, if I lived that far away and it cost that much to get there :(

9. dubcnote

dubcnote Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I scored a pretty good deal from SWA. Flights from San Diego to Las Vegas were $49. Same price for the flight home. That's cheaper than it would be for me to drive there. Going in about 2 weeks.

10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So much of pricing depends on the market you're in.

A few weeks ago, I checked SWA fares from BOS for Feb and saw some $121 each way. I had enough points to book, so I did, even though I have no idea if I'll be able to go. $242 round trip from BOS will by far be the cheapest fare ever to LAS. And if I end up canceling, no prob, I get the points back with no expiration on them.

Getting the best rate for anything just takes a lot of research, you have to start looking every day far out and get a feel for how the rates go up and down. Don't just look at your own dates, either; look and see what rates are for a month from now, 2 months from now, etc. That's how you can start to make your own fare predictor in your head.

I do like the chase, although sometimes it seems ridiculous to do all that work to save $100, when I could easily put that much out on my first bet when I get there, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.