1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SW to HI 2018

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, May 19, 2017.

1. Bernie2

Bernie2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look for SW to announce service to HI later this year or early 2018. They have resolved their issues with the pilots union and will be getting new planes that are capable of those flights this year. Look to HI Air to do something regarding points with SW(WN) entering the market. There are a number of us that will very much welcome more competition to HI.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With miles and having a first-class section Alaska might still be our go to, but more carriers in the same market never is a bad thing.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually it sounds more like this will happen in 2019 at the earliest. This is what was written in the Honolulu Star Advertiser newspaper yesterday:

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly said Wednesday that Hawaii is a priority destination for the carrier, according to a report from the The Arizona Republic.

Kelly said the airline does not have an official work plan for the new route but Hawaii is “pretty high on the priority list.” Kelly made the remarks at Southwest’s annual shareholders meeting in Phoenix.

Kelly said he doubted the airline would have the Hawaii service available to passengers by 2018. Kelly said Southwest’s 2018 plans have not been finalized and Southwest has several steps to complete before it can set up the Hawaii route.

For Southwest to be able to offer a route to Hawaii, the airlines must get Federal Aviation Administration certification for flights over the Pacific, as well as complete flight crew training and technology support.

Kelly said the first Hawaii flights would depart from the West Coast; he didn’t provide details about which cities.

But they've been saying that they like the Hawaii route for many years so when I actually see them advertising the route then I will believe it. I hope they do though, I like the added competition. Air fares have been going up with the excuse that it was because of the cost of gas but the gas prices haven't gone up the past couple of years and yet the air prices have gone up so I welcome another airline to provide more coverage to Hawaii and to also give competition to the major airlines.

But I'm sure that their first flights will probably be to/from Vegas and maybe San Fran. Those are popular destinations from the islands.

4. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, 737-MAX for Southwest?

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just the fact that they will be brand new planes is a plus. I went ones on United and the planes were really worn out and uncomfortable.

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't Alaska have the youngest, or at least one of the youngest, fleets in the air? And that age will drop when the Virgin assimilation is completed. I had a recent multi-leg United flight and some of the stuff seemed downright Wright-ian.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The article in Surf's link says that they will be using new 737 max planes so at least the leg to Hawaii will be on new planes.

9. Bernie2

Bernie2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always good to hear from a local that keeps abreast of the air carriers regarding HI.

10. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas: