1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SW new policy on bumping/overbooking

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW(WN) new policy on bumping is there will be no more bumping. I don't like this change as bumps were good to me. Please weigh in with your opinion.

2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, that's not the change. They are going to stop overbooking. That doesn't eliminate the possibility of being bumped, but it does make it much less likely. Its easy for SW to announce this policy because they had already cut back on overbooking for a few years now

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to worry, the added expense will be passed on to us. Clearly its what we asked for with all the crying over that guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Expense? They already won't give credit back to folks who don't properly cancel and now they will save on having fewer incentive payouts. Southwest took a contact hit when this story broke and their stats were highlighted. It made sense to change their business model before someone changed it for them.

AI expect there will still be bumping when flights get cancelled and they attempt to get people rebooked.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Agree 100 percent.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Almost every airline will ding you heavily if you cancel - no matter how far in advance. SW allows you to cancel and you can still use the funds and I think that is up until just before flight time. What other airline allows that for anything other than fully refundable tickets?

SW is overly generous on this. If the flight is full, they can no longer sell that seat. BUT - you can still cancel the same day and SW will probably not be able to resell that seat. They are on the wrong end of this deail - which means we all pay when people cancel and SW does not overbook.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to be a snot here, but I just don't "get" the logic of chasing bumps! When I fly I want to get where I want to go as quickly as I can and not futz around waiting and rebooking and such.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also will miss overbooking. I usually fly out early and have a flexible schedule, so the vouchers were always good to me.

9. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been bumped and nor would I want to be.

For having a no overbooking policy now it has me thinking there'll be a lot more tickets being classified as "non-refundable" and/or the penalties/fees for changing or cancelling a ticket will probably go up.

In the end this whole SW incident is going to cost flyers more in the future - overbooking was a way for the airlines to save money on flights, if they stop overbooking they are just going to pass the extra costs on to the consumer, not take the hit themselves.

10. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate overbooking.
    I like to see some empty seats on the airplane, preferably always less than half full.
    Get to the destination always on time is the most important thing to me.

11. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We would all love to see less than half full.

If they did that, the cost of tickets would quickly go higher. And maybe the chances of your "most important thing" would drop. Just basic business.

12. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah... not sure how I feel about this.

It seems like this will only make the ticket prices go up. My SW flights to Vegas are pretty much always overbooked, and there is never any shortage of people willing to wait for a later flight and take the travel voucher.

Last January, my flight to Vegas had like 30 open seats and the flight attendant kept acting like it was some huge anomaly or something and telling everyone to spread out. Usually it's the exact opposite and they tell you there will be no open seats so get your personal s**t out of the middle seat.

13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Overbooking has it's place.

Take for example this scenario:
    Dallas to Denver for Thursday is full on Mon. Then on tues, and on wed and even thursday morning, multiple customers try to book it. No seats. No booking. So, they fly with someobdy else.

Then on Thursday 4 passengers have a change of plans and cancel their tickets. Southwest now flies with empty seats. Empty seats mean lost revenue opportunity. And there is nothing they can do about it.

What would YOU do if this was your business?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. STPFan

STPFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I predict this will be the beginning of the end of their liberal cancellation policy. I rebook often with Southwest and will miss that flexibility if it goes away.

15. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Instead of overbooking and pretending passengers are going to get seats, I'd make the ones who try to book when it's over capacity fly on a standby ticket. Then passengers know up front there's a chance they wont get on and airlines can sell those seats when it's clear they aren't going to be used.

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest was planning to phase out overbooking before this so apparently they weren't seeing an increased cost to their operation that would require it.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/27/news/companies/southwest-airlines-overbooking/

I can't find the article now but it was reported that their no show percentage was low and shrinking. If that's the case, overbooking would cause more customer service issues than anticipated.

17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

That sounds like a good idea. Put the issue on the customer.

Then a few minutes later I thought about it again. Pretty sure I would NOT buy a standby ticket knowing there was a chance I was not going to fly and maybe spend a few hours or days in the airport, or even not fly at all. No thanks. I will just book on an airline that has seats. Getting bumped and paid is one thing. Not flying for days or not all is not.

I have taken bumps in the past, and might do it again. I have access to airport lounges and would not mind spending half a day there drinking, eating and watching movies on ipad. Of if overnight, I would have no problem staying in a hotel for the right price.

18. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't buy a standby ticket either. But it's just a choice. If those standby tickets were half price, I'm sure a lot of people would go for it. That's as opposed to selling full priced seats twice and banking on extra profits from the churn of no-shows. One is a consumer choice the other kind of a questionable business practice.

19. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A refundable standby ticket would work for me.
    I remember in the 70's standby was just that and allocated to active military first, then in order of purchase I believe (pre-airline / cc memberships). I once flew from Boston to Houston on American in first class as a standby passenger. Rare. But this was also back in the time of more seats than passengers on most flights. If you notice the swa placard about standby passengers cost, it is full fare which can be a bit high. This status is usually a result of you missing your flight and having to wait for an open seat.
    It will be interesting to watch as things unfold.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
  20. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The airline execs are going before Congress today. Expect to review some theatrics on the evening news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.