1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Suggestions for family of 5

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Verboten72, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verboten72

Verboten72 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are considering a trip to Vegas with the kids (ages 18, 15 and 10). For those of you that have taken such family trips before, specifically with a total of 5 in your group, did you have to book two separate rooms or did the hotel allow the 5 of you in a double queen with a sofa or roll-out sleeper?

Please share your experience, thanks!

2. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both options can be done, but a typical strip hotel will charge you more for each additional person if you mention that more than 2 people will be staying in the same room. The roller bed is a dead giveaway that more than 2 people will be staying in the room, so you could just mention that only 3 people will be staying in the same room and that you will need a roller bed. That should be cheaper than getting two rooms, depending on where you stay.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  3. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We traveled to Las Vegas several years ago and all five of us staying in the same room was not an issue. Depending on how you like to travel, the cost of two rooms at a mid level property may cost less than one room at a upper tier property, and it would give you more space and two bathrooms.

4. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the other posts. Since two of your kids are 15 and 18, you "might" want to consider two rooms. I know my kids at those ages would HATE to be in a room with mom and dad on a vacation.

Just a thought....

5. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might also consider renting a suite at a timeshare resort. It's a little harder to find what you are looking for, especially if you are particular, but th ebay search below might get you started. I've stayed at the Wyndham, the Holiday Inn Vacation Club, and Diamond Resorts and they are all very nice, albeit a different experience from staying in a strip hotel. (a much better one in my opinion) A 2BR should be plenty of room for all of you. More family oriented with bedrooms and kitchens.

Caveats: (every time I've done this; your mileage may vary)
    Most are not on the strip. Elara, Polo towers, and Jockey club are on the strip; Wyndham and HIGV are 1/2 mile walk, others will require a car/uber/shuttle.
    If you rent an owner's unit, there is absolutely no obligation to go to a sales pitch, but they will ask you to when you check in. A firm and persistent "no, thank you" will get you out of it. You need not give a reason, so end the conversation more quickly by not doing so.
    There are no resort fees or taxes above your agreed rental price.
    No refunds or cancellations! So be sure to book after you are sure about everything else on your trip.
    Booking on ebay is like buying something at a garage sale. If you find what you are looking for at a price that seems to be a good deal, I suggest taking it because you will likely not find what you are looking for again.
    Usually no housekeeping during your stay.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Lodging/16123?Bedrooms=2&Destination=United%20States&Location=Nevada

You can also get a booking experience that is more typical of a hotel (allowing cancellations, etc) using Hotels.com , ihg.com for HIVC, etc.

You could also try airbnb but several neighborhoods around town can be sketchy so be sure to heed the reviews.

With respect to hotels, some will not allow rollaways into 2Q rooms, claiming that it is a "fire hazard".
    I seldom reserve by listing all minor occupants. The only risk of that I can think of is that if there is in fact a fire and you want to sue for damages to life and limb, you probably wouldn't be able to sue on behalf of occupants that the hotel has no record of. But I'm not an attorney so don't take legal advice from me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kisby

Kisby Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just out of curiosity, why are you going to Las Vegas? Yes, I know there are a few things for kids to do, but it really is an adult town. I'm not trying to be snotty, just asking.

• Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Along with what others suggested hit booking.com or Travelocity. I believe they both give option for more than 4 in one room on their search. I have a party of five adults going and have been searching for one room with five guests. Will give you a good idea of what you are looking for.

8. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only experience I have with this is as a kid in the '70s. 3 kids, 2 adults, and we always stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment rooms at Westward Ho. Of course, that isn't an option anymore.

You may want to look into staying at Rio and getting 2 connecting rooms. I say 2 rooms only because I wouldn't want to squeeze 5 people into any one room under any circumstance.

The Rio rooms are quite large. Each has a couch and fridge. 2 rooms means 2 bathrooms too. The property itself has a nice pool area, the Voodoo Zipline and Kiss Mini Golf so the kids have some things to do. There's a Smashbuger and Hash House A Go Go that the kids would probably like. There's a free shuttle to the strip. If you'll have a car, parking is still free at Rio.

You can walk to Gold Coast, which has a TGIFridays, a Subway and a 70 lane bowling alley with a game arcade. I suppose you could look at Gold Coast too. But I think the kids would like the pool and overall vibe at Rio much better.

Depending on when you're going, rooms at Rio can be as cheap as $30-$40 a night, plus the silly resort fee. It seems that Rio is offer a $25 food credit with each room booked for 2 nights or more during the summer months.

There's always one:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the kids would probably enjoy having their own room and so would the adults. sounds like fun if it is not too expensive.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't offer specific firsthand advice, however, family vacations for 5 was a problem for one of my inlaws, so they would try to stay in Suite hotels like Embassy Suites, Homewood, or Residence Inns.

If you check Booking.com or even Hotels.com you will see listings for timeshares like Elara, Marriott Grand Chateau, Wyndham Grand Desert. Many of these places have a full kitchen with a normal sized refrigerator. For family vacations, we rented condos and timeshares which gave us flexibility to save on breakfast or packing lunch, then go out for a nice dinner. Plus, a two bedroom unit will probably have 2 bathrooms, which will come in handy. You could also check out MGM Signature, they have two bedroom units available.

:kill:

11. Kisby

Kisby Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I asked my question nicely, and not of you.

And, by the way, there's way more than one of us who believe that Las Vegas is not the place for children.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Verboten72

Verboten72 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the input and suggestions! We definitely have quite a few good options to consider.

I know that a Vegas vacation with the kiddos is a non-starter for some folks and I respect that, but there's an incredible amount of reasonably priced (and in a lot of cases, free!) family-friendly activities on and off-strip.

I don't think my wife and I would consider a family Vegas vacation if we were still pushing strollers around, but the kiddos are all well past that stage. Flights, food, accommodations and even rental cars are actually pretty cheap in Vegas compared to other family resort destinations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You kids get off my lawn! :peace:

14. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Verboten72 I agree with you, for the age group of your three kiddo's there are plenty of fun things to do in and around Vegas that are free and/or reasonably priced plus the ability to hang out at the resort pool together. You won't run out of things to do. Hoover Dam tour would be high on my list if you have a car. Bellagio fountains at night are magical for kids of all ages plus the liights and glitz of the strip will give them something to brag about to their friends.

As to the room arrangement, I don't think it's a problem to book a room with two queens and a rollaway and just mention three guests to get around the additional charges for two extra kids. But from a practical standpoint, having taken lots of vacations all over the place with two teenage daughters, we just bit the bullet and got two adjoining rooms to avoid the inevitable squabbles about the bathroom and 'you're hogging the covers'. Plus everyone had a bit of privacy getting ready in the mornings. If two rooms are out of the question, I'd try to find a room with a lot of square footage.

I'm sure your family will have a great time - take plenty of sunscreen and bottled water if it's a summer vacation!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.