1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Striking Culinary Union downtown - April 12

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by gambler, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This would make sense. If you're involved with the actual hotels you picket your shift, if you just happen to be part of the union, you volunteer to "help out" during the 2 designated shifts.

2. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Didn't mean to imply strikes/pickets never happen now 24 hrs a day. Just that the days of hunkering around a burning 50 gal. drum aren't as prevalent as in my Dad's era.

3. Sallymander

Sallymander Freedom 55

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that their negotiations have hit an impasse and the Union is using selective picketing to bring attention to the situation. In Canada we call it an "information picket line" and this strategy is used to provide information (the Union's side of the story) to customers/clients about bargaining issues without a total disruption of service. This is usually a first step towards a "real" strike (a total withdrawl of services). As a customer I would be more concerned if the Union directs its employees to "work to rule" -- ie following your job description to the letter...:peace:

4. dukeofdarby

dukeofdarby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    plan to support those workers who band together to improve their lot by forming a union and engage in collective bargaining----otherwise it is little guy versus a well heeled employer with eyes on the bottom line----there are some employers who really care for their employees but they are few-----if I encounter strikers on a picket line I will not cross same----in fact since I will be on vacation I may volunteer for an hour or so to carry a sign and yell at people not to cross----have been on both sides of this issue in the past,worked as a cab driver [teamsters] and a press operator[steelworkers] while in college,later spent 40 years with a company of which 35years were in mgmt.----now work part time as a part-time bus driver[steelworkers]------one could argue that some unions have gone to far and/or have internal problems and these are separate issues that would need to be addressed but not the general concept of unionization----

5. Onion

Onion Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone heard anything more on this possible strike? We are scheduled to check into the Golden Nugget on April 22nd and I'm hoping this is all settled by then.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there is a strike, it is scheduled for April 12th. I have several friends that are bartenders and cocktail waitresses downtown and they say they think it will be resolved before there is a strike. But, who knows? It sounds like management has really dug their heels in.

7. Onion

Onion Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you're right!

8. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As much as I have compassion for the workers and their demands, my wife and I will be flying in to Vegas from Chicago very soon for a week's stay at Main Street Station. I paid good money for two r/t tickets, a rental car reserved, and 7 nights all booked & reserved at MSS. I am NOT going to cancel our trip because of this, and I will walk through the picket line.

Everyone has choices & options, and this is not my fight ....

9. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going on the 13th.
    If there is a bartender strike, maybe they'll just put coolers of iced beer on the floor for self service.
    I would be okay with that.

10. mattMN10

mattMN10 Minnesota living. Las Vegas dreaming.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't agree more. I'm arriving on Easter for 2 nights downtown, before spending the rest of the trip on the strip. I have not had a vacation in 2 years and I'm sorry but as you say, this is not my fight. I'm on vacation.

That being said, I hope this is resolved before we arrive.

:beer: I love this idea haha!

Halloween - spooky big wins incoming
  11. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't seen any news of resolution in the Sun or LVRJ today. Perhaps there will be some late night negotiating? Otherwise, an informational picket tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.