1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Strike threat still looms

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Joe, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for update, Joe.

Selfishly, I am sorry to hear that. I arrive DT on 7/15 for a weeklong visit.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're booked for June 6 at MSS and I asked our host to make a contingency reservation at Cal, a non-union place.

After 35 years as a union member I'm torn on this. I know I wouldn't cross a picket line, but does staying at Cal do any good? It still all goes to the Boyd coffers. But at least I won't have to cross the line.

Hopefully they get this all worked out.

I have perspective on this after working for a company with crappy retirement and health benefits, but the Culinary Union has some of the best benefits I've seen. I'm not sure what the companies are demanding regarding health care and employee payments but from my union brethren friends I know it Vegas, they want them to pay a bigger share.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to try to do this w/o crossing over the Rubicon of Politics:

Joe, we speak freely with each other. If you're an ardent union man as I know you are, feeding the hand that is reputedly slapping the workers is still feeding the hand, no? Is solidarity or gambling more important? How would your Vegas trip be impacted if a union action was ongoing at every house at your disposal?

Me, I'm a free agent, literally. Been union. Been corporate exec. Spent the vast part of my working life being at-will with no top cover. I respect the right of folks to organize and strike, I respect the right of management/ownership to lock 'em out, play hardball. I won't cross just to make a statement but I'll cross if I need something on the other side.

Please, if this has violated some rule, feel free to nuke the post but don't nuke me. I'm a peacenik at heart.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is Ken and I can't argue, but the thought of me crossing a line would bother me forever. 35 years in the Union, 15 as a steward. I mentioned it is still going into the Boyd coffers and if I knew for sure that a strike, or picket line would be going on, I probably would cancel the trip. Nice thing about SWA.

As you are aware, there is a difference between informational picketing and a strike. 10 hotels downtown are Union and only the Nugget has settled.

6. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also don't want to get dragged into a political debate, and I hesitate to post this, but personally I don't have a problem crossing a picket line. It has become the norm for unions whos members are being generously compensated to still choose to picket on a regular basis. Boeing is a great example here in the NW. Boeing employees make a ton of money and get great benefits packages yet the union can't go a couple years without threatening to strike? Boeing employees make it really hard to be sympathetic towards unions.

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, take Boeing out of the Puget Sound area and … ouch. It would make the '70s lumber crashes look like a one-day closure owing to weather.

8. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They also make world class airplanes, that is has been proven, cannot be built as efficiently by non union members in SC. I personally don't think they make a "ton" of money. They make a liveable wage, that can support a family without the spouse having to work. They also pay dearly for this wage, with forced overtime, time away from family.

That said, this union issue has been hashed over way too many times.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  9. fishyducky

fishyducky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what I have read, you always make great points. I agree with this 100%. My wife has worked union for SoCal Edison at the nuclear plant that is shutting down in San Onofre and we will be crossing the line if we need something on the other side as well.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very, very well stated... I feel much the same way.

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, but we're doing the tiptoe dance along the line, so let's veer a bit back to the Vegas part of this.

Will I be able to get my downtown on without hassles & service delays?? :wink2:

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are those people behind the snack bar at mermaids unionized? If so I'm in big trouble!

13. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Although I am in support of the union, it is only to a certain extent. Due to the rising costs of air travel, our trip cost over two thousand dollars for two. MSS is one of the hotels and that is where we plan to stay/play.

We are still going to Las Vegas next month and if they are still on strike, we will cross that picket line to get to the hotel. We will avoid hotels that are being picketed.

14. billyinpg

billyinpg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My girl and I are union people and I'll leave this here. If there are picket lines DT we will join them.

15. SoCalTrucker

SoCalTrucker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being a teamster myself... When we were there in April when the informal picketing was going on we just played at DTG. I personally wouldn't stay or play at any property that had an active strike or an affiliated property but that's just me.

I'm also that truck driver that won't make a delivery by crossing a picket line no matter what union it is.

16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I support the union also and am a union member myself. I'm conflicted here and understand your predicament.

I was thinking maybe get off at the Cal and use the mezzanine to get to MSS? I know it's the same company, which is why I am conflicted.

17. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Appreciate your concern, but here is my predicament. That thought did enter my mind. I used to have a host before they tightened up on the MSS comps. Unlike Joe, I will have to pay if I swap to the California Hotel. MSS is the only hotel downtown where I get free rooms, which I had already booked.

I have a serious COPD problem. The doctor recommended I carry an oxygen tank, but I told him I want to try and exist without it. I have survived so far with inhalers and rest stops. I do not envision trying to haul our suitcases for that walk from Cal to MSS. Thus, that’s my reason in getting dropped off at MSS. There is always that wheel chair alternative, but with this certain degree of pride, I so far avoided it.

I do not know what others would do. It will be the first time crossing a picket line.

18. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very well said and I HIGHLY agree

19. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I support the right to strike but I also support the right of people to spend their money as they see fit. That means I'll cross a picket line, but I won't make a big deal out of it or get into a verbal confrontation with picketers.

Bill

20. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While we might be inclined to do the same; probably like most folks, that isn't a viable option for us. Ms. Gecko had to schedule time off work, we're flying on companion tickets that are non-refundable, and our room offers only go 'til the end of June. We usually cut through the Cal going to/from MSS anyway, so hopefully, if there is strike, we won't be badgered by picketers. Other than that, I'm uncharacteristically keeping my opinions to myself! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.