1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Strategy/pay tables question

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by Harvey, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Harvey

Harvey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a good answer.

Is it better to play a game with a worse pay table but you can play the strategy almost perfectly, or play a game with a better pay table but a more complicated strategy and only play about 80% of the hands correctly?

Thanks for the help!

2. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ll go with knowledge of strategy as the winning play here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Grant1982

Grant1982 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    80% correct strategy? I would think if you simply stuck with Jack's or better strategy on any game you would still be higher than that. Either way, I am going to say correct strategy as well, unless it's very similar, like using JOB strategy for Bonus Poker.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vpmikey

vpmikey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just get better at the game with the better pay schedule.......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Renaldow

Renaldow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go with Strategery. If you're playing a game that needs a strategy and you don' t know it, your results will be driven by luck and happenstance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's all gambling. Just do whatever you enjoy and feel lucky.
    F**k the paytables and strategies.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  7. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got very good at DDB then switched to BP as the variance I realized was killing me. Now I play for $1’s with better odds at $1BP than I could at $0.25 DDB. My money goes farther, my comps are better and my time at the bar lasts far longer.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harvey

Harvey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

The reason I asked is that the bar most of my family will be hanging at has games with better pay tables on the more complex games. I would like to spend time with family and was just wondering which game to spend most of my time on.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone in or going to Vegas!

9. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What bar? Curious now

10. Harvey

Harvey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four Queens.

The best pay tables according to vpfree2 are DDB, DB, and deuces wild.

I can play JoB or Bonus poker to about 98-99% accuracy but I am not nearly as proficient at the others.

11. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you use a training program you will see that a small mistake can lower the payback by a full 0.5 percent. Playing JoB and then you make a simple mistake and suddenly your 99.54% payback is only paying 99%...or about the same as a 98.98% DDB payback. Another mistake? Drop another 0.5%. Playing proper strategy makes all the difference. Without it, you're already playing a lousy paytable.

PHX >> LAS
    PHX >> LAS
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd rather play 6/5 BP at a comfortable denom and be ridiculed for not seeking out nearly 100% NSUD or TDB at a higher-than-comfortable denom -- but that's just me. I like playing for longer periods of time, and I like lower variance. I'm probably not going to see enough full houses in a session to have that be my sole source of ruin.

• Like Like x 2
  13. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always refer to this (from our resident pro @tringlomane), vpfree2 isn't always great for bartop games:

if you are good at JoB you can play that or BP (strategy pretty much the same) at 4 Queens and be pretty happy with your selections (around 98% with good play of course)
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/a-video-poker-primer-with-bartop-listings-and-better-nickel-options.111193/

• Love Love x 1
  14. Harvey

Harvey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for the help! I am just about to head to the airport to head to Vegas. I will be looking over all the info in the post you linked on the plane.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say this - it depends upon the game and your familiarity. I.e. if the high paying game is Joker Poker or some game with 7 as the pay for a flush...you may actually be better on the lower game.

However...you ought to be able to learn a few of the key variations that make up much of the value pretty quickly on some of these games. I.e. NSUD isn't rocket science. Hold the deuces and draws towards decent paying hands like 1 deuce + 2 cards to a wild royal. I'd rather play a 99.7% game at 98.5% than play a 97% game

• Like Like x 2
  16. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you play 9/6 DDB using a perfect 9/6 JOB strategy, you are only giving up a few tenths of a percent in payback. If you can learn a few of the important differences, the give-up will be even less.

A few easy differences:

Break a dealt aces full in DDB

When dealt two pair and one of the pairs is aces, just hold the ace.

Four to a gut-shot straights are held if you are dealt nothing else.

If dealt an ace and an off-suit Queen, Jack or king - just hold the ace.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, DDB isn't THAT different from JoB. If you strictly played 9/6 JoB strategy on the QQQQ bartops, the game would still return about 99.65%. Implementing the strategy changes you suggested, certainly bumps the return to 99.8%, maybe even 99.9%. The game is 99.96% optimal.

A bit more exhaustive list of strategy changes between non-wild variants can be found here.

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-do-you-know-all-the-video-poker-strategies.112319/#post-1020345

@Harvey, playing 40/10/6 DDB or 9/6 DDB with the multiway progressive (both near 100% return) is certainly a better play long term than 7/5 Bonus (98.01%) at the bar even if zero strategy adjustments are made.

But the drawback of course is DDB is much more swingy. But if you get lucky on premium quads, you might get hooked on DDB like nearly everyone else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1