1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Staying Cool at the New Plaza Pool

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Jen Jen, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orphan

Orphan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NP, I'll try to look when I'm there in a week.

2. DickTater

DickTater Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Craps is $5 minimum, BJ is mostly $10. Craps is 10X odds. I was there last weekend and as far as management of the hotel goes, it was the same old shit show. I had not stayed there for years because the owner, Tamares, has screwed up everything continually. But, with the new pool, I was hopeful, plus, they sent me an offer out of the blue.

I went to check in at 9:30 pm on fri. night and there was one, count 'em, one person working the front desk. There were, quite literally, over 30 people in line which extended out the door. Who in management could have possibly have predicted that a number of people would check in on a friday night? Its not like they have reservation numbers or anything. They have 1000 rooms and ONE person at the front desk on a Friday night? Their incompetence knows no bounds.

3. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the pics Jen.

Right next to the pool area is the tennis courts they're beefing up for Pickleball.

Yea, I had to Google it too.

Looks like a couple of observation towers on the west side of the courts.
    Pickleball courts (1).JPG Pickleball courts (2).JPG

http://www.usapa.org/what-is-pickleball/

[​IMG]

To add to Dick's post I checked in Thursday at 11am and thought they should have more than the one check in clerk. Luckily I have a King Players Card and got to jump the line.

4. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the kind of crap that I don't understand. The Plaza has had this problem for YEARS and yet they refuse to address it. How competent does management have to be to staff the front desk so they don't alienate their guests BEFORE THEY EVEN CHECK IN.

They can tinker with their beer gardens, pools, pickleball courts all they want but they'll never be "The Place to Be" downtown until they can get a grasp on some of the more basic tasks of hotel management. (Here is a hint Plaza geniuses: There is a world class hotel management school at UNLV)

Every Plaza host that has ever posted here has assured everyone here that this problem would be addressed. Can't wait for one of them to chime in and try to defend/justify/explain away their ineptitude.

Birthday Week in the Tower Suites
  5. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pitching in on the check-in issue. A friend and I checked in for five nights the Wednesday before March Madness began. They had two people working the front desk at about 8:00 pm and maybe six people in line. Problem was, a couple totally tied up one of the desk staff for well over half an hour. When we got to the front the other looked at us and said "Excuse me, I'll be back in a minute." She left and never returned.

By the time we finally got helped by the guy the couple had tied up there were probably 20 people in line. It had taken us almost an hour to check in with six people in line. I can't imagine how long it took those behind us. We passed the desk a couple of times after going to our room and the line was still a mile long with only one person working. My friend swore then that he'd never stay there again simply due to their incompetence and indifference. The rest of our stay was fine, but he still says the Plaza is off his list.

It really is amazing. As a couple of you have noted, this isn't a new issue. TripAdvisor reviews frequently cite it too. Yet they do nothing about it. As the old saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression. Pissing people off before they've even checked in is a really poor start. I'm so glad they are finally doing something with their pool, but capital improvements may well not be enough to gain a following if they can't get a handle on the basics.

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not only can I not wait to hear the reply from the "guest" host from Plaza on the board, but I can't wait to meet the newest host who has taken the place of the old host that moved (was moved) on. Always an interesting read. I walk through on each visit but have yet to be impressed although I didn't make it to the pool. I do notice the beer garten is artificially grassed which should make it much cooler than having real grass.

It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
  7. DickTater

DickTater Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a post script to my earlier post about the check in issue. The management always prefers to save a nickel and lose a dollar. Another clerk would cost $15/hr. People who are arriving to Vegas want one thing when they get there: they want to check in as quickly as possible so they can go start having fun as quickly as possible. Having fun means spending money on gambling, drinking and eating. Well, as long as 60 people are wasting their time standing in line, they aren't spending money at your business! Instead, they are just getting pissed off because management is wasting their valuable vacation time, so what do they do? They do what I did and go elsewhere.

I did not spend a single dime in the Plaza, even though my room was comped. Why? Because I'm not going back there. So, how much money did management lose because they didn't want to hire a clerk? I don't know, but I can guarantee that my gambling losses in an hour often far exceed what they would've had to pay that clerk for an entire day.

8. Orphan

Orphan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking of check in, IS there a good time to do it? I'll be checking in on a Thursday and can do it pretty much whenever.

9. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said DT.

AirBnB Henderson. They say social distancing...Will we make this trip?
  10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.

(I would shoot for either early morning or 12:30-1:00 in the afternoon.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last time my group stayed at the Plaza (two years ago), we arrived on a Friday at 10:30 p.m. We literally stood in line for two hours to check in. They had two registers opened.

Haven't stayed there since.

12. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice review Jen! Looks like a great way to spend a few hours in the afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Orphan

Orphan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Flusher. Loving the current TR btw.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.