1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sports trading cards, At least young me had fun

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by gadgets19, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today’s hobby is very similar....in terms of rarity.

I’m pretty sure the main brand is Panini. It’s like winning a lottery when you get the best player. Because this brand is expensive, people have created group breaks.

The one thing about today’s market that I can’t comprehend is that ‘the card’ that has a (one inch by one inch tattered game worn jersey) is worth more than some of the greatest players in the history of sports....

2. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if it counts but...
    I've got the complete series, and the "collectable binder" for the True Crime cards before they got banned. Also, the second series of the Gangsters and Mobsters that came out next.

Also have random, Close Encounters movie cards, Grease, Mork and Mindy, and sports cards.

One last thing, my mother recently gave me many Beatles teen fan style magazines.

Girls trip
    • Love Love x 1
  3. gadgets19

gadgets19 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. gadgets19

gadgets19 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Figured I should update this thread. Picture heavy.

So from thinking I really should get these three cards…
    1st3small.JPG

Has turned into 400+ :oops:

I have had fun and thankful I am slowing to a crawl.

Observations: Unsurprisingly regardless of sport, if player is legend, regardless of condition cards are sought after and price usually reflects demand.

Dabbled a bit in patch cards and autographs.

Took about 3 auctions, and a few choice words, to remember that in Ebay you have to bid with about 5 seconds left in auction in order to have a chance.

Highlights:

I got a Mickey Mantle. Doesn’t matter condition, even terrible cards are $100 if it is Mantle.

So happy I got this for $35US

mantle.JPG

Now this led to really liking the 1964 Topps Giants. Bigger picture makes really nice photographs. Too the point I have decided to collect the entire 60 set. Will take a while (if ever) as a handful of cards are expensive.

As I headed down the path I also got
    stansmall.JPG tedsmall.JPG cobb.JPG

Not a big basketball fan but did get David Robinson rookie(s). Plus regular card of any major player, Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kareem.

Thinking about football, Howie Long always been my favourite player.
    longsmall.JPG

Growing up (old man talk now) we only had 5 channels. 3 of them U.S. networks out of Spokane. So Seahawks were front and centre. Steve Largent always a favourite.
    larg.JPG

Got a fill of Gretzky cards. Always have to remember that Topps in Hockey is worth less than O-Pee-Chee in Canada. Some nice cards out there but could be harder to sell up here. Did find nice OPC cards.
    gordiesmall.JPG robatillesmall.JPG

Looking at newer hockey and the industry sure has changed. Newer stars/rookies demand a premium price regardless of stature. Also, the number of actual rookie cards is huge as there are multiple makers and each maker has a different subset. Not always easy to determine THE rookie card. I knew I couldn’t afford THE Connor McDavid rookie but found A Connor McDavid rookie.
    connorsmall.JPG

What I’m missing:

The card I thought I would have already but can’t wrap my head around is Ken Griffey Jr rookie. It seems the market is absolutely flooded with these cards. My supply/demand brain says that means they should be abundant and reasonable. Abundant – Yes, reasonable – No. I have had many chances to buy in a range of quality but can’t click the button.

And just because:

I have had these two for decades. Never say never but can’t imagine getting rid of:

waynesmall.JPG mariosmall.JPG

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  5. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I collected basketball cards as a kid. Hahaha had a binder exclusively for Karl Malone. My hatred of Michael Jordan led all of his cards to a box under the bed. I have Kobe and KG rookie cards somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where are all the Golf and Curling cards?

7. gadgets19

gadgets19 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You MOCK! Ok sadly with reason
    I have two boxes of 1991 Pro Set PGA cards. Young me thought for sure it was a wise investment.
    Sadly after Jack & Arnie and before Phil & Tiger

I have seen an Upper Deck Tiger rookie and Upper Deck regular Jack though. Not terribly expensive either.

8. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe our KG Jr rookie ended up in the box of cards my son wanted to keep. KG was his favorite when he was young. I think he also has a Nolan Ryan error card in that bundle that carries a hefty price tag. I wanted to keep that one separate but I believe it went in that box.

Me? I have a massively huge tote that I need to go through. If I am lucky there are one or two cards in there that may have some value. Now that I finally have decent internet that is a later in the godawful winter project. Once I have looked up around 10,000 cards then a former coworker of my husbands will get the rest of the cards.

All of these are late 80's or very early 90's, so other than errors & KG likely not much value. Would love something unexpected so I can get out of debt lol.

9. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember having an error card worth a considerable amount when it came out but now, not so much. It was the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken "Fuck Face" card. The story has it that his brother played a prank where he wrote that on the end of his bat, knowing he was having the picture taken that day.

Four versions ended up being released:

The original error with the words visible
    The first correction, with the words scribbled out
    The second correction, with a white box over the words
    The final correction, with a black box over the words

The most valuable back then, believe it or not, was the white box correction. Now on eBay all I see are the error itself and the black box version. At one time I owned all 4. They might be in my mom's attic still, I honestly have no idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. BigShot55

BigShot55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought wax packs and full sets for the 4 major sports from about 1981-91. Still have everything (mostly).

Crown jewel of my collection is 1986-87 Fleer basketball set. I also bought 1984 Star basketball but later sold that set in 1990 for a mere $900 (idiot! :bang:).

11. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a couple boxes of 80s cards in the basement. Mostly 49er stuff as they were my team growing up. Before we moved I had an entire room dedicated to Joe. He and Dwight Clark were my favorite players. I've been selling it off a little at a time, but I'll keep a few things that are special to me.

This is probably half of my Joe cards.

493.jpg

The Catch! I actually used to open some of these to play with. :rolleyes:

492.jpg

I made DH drive me to Dwight Clarks restaurant so I could buy shirts, all of which I still have. :angel:

491.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh man, Starting Lineup figures! I loved those when I was a kid. I never kept them in the package, unfortunately.

13. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uhm....I wasn't exactly a kid, but I used to play with Farscape action figures. I'd pose them in little scenes with the cats (they were the budongs) and take pictures to post on our fanfiction forum. You just never know about some people, do you?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look at these photos and sometimes kick myself for donating a lot of my stuff as it would be cool to look through it lol. I lived in a small DC apartment for a while without the room, but now I have a home and an attic where I could store it all. Stupid me lol grr

15. smallz79

smallz79 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    call me a nerd i know, but i have collected sports cards since i was 7 and now im 41 lol. it has turned into a side business for me. i love everything about them. Here is some of my collection (Denver sports heavy)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  16. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From a fellow 49 fan that's way cool. And RIP Dwight Clark.

17. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a nephew who was card crazy so I would take him to the big card shows they used to have. He was probably about 10 and could spout endless player info. Great fun. In the end, he went with Steve Young and I went with Montana to the Chiefs, so I had to cut him loose. :evillaugh:

I hadn't looked in any of my card boxes for years, (like 20) so I took a peek this morning. Oh man, I've got some good stuff in there. Brett Favre, Ronnie Lott, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith rookie cards. I also came across a pile of Dan McGuire rookies. :rolleyes: I sat there thinking, who is this guy? Well, you never know. lol

I always thought Dwight Clark was the handsomest man ever. I would have bought his cards if he never played a down. ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. buzz_king

buzz_king Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may have invested a little too much cash.

19. smallz79

smallz79 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sweet Marinos! thats like me with the Broncos

20. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice! I know a few of the Rockies so when they come to town to play the Nats, I always ask them to sign a few cards and stuff for me. The only one whose ever a jerk about it, each and every time, is Arenado lol. Offered to write a $250 check on the spot to his charity and he said no haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.