1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sports Cancellations Due To Virus

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by LVRaiders, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess we are back to what ESPN opened programming with in the late 1970s

Can't forget the FNN channel.

2. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coronavirus: NBA brass viewing mid-June return as best-case scenario amid new CDC recommendations, per report
    We could be without basketball for a long time

When the NBA suspended its season on Wednesday due to coronavirus, commissioner Adam Silver initially set a 30-day timeline. One month from the stunning decision to postpone all games, the league would reevaluate the outbreak of the virus and its ability to safely resume its season, with or without fans in arenas, before deciding what to do. Things got a whole lot grimmer on Sunday, though, when the CDC recommended that all gatherings of at least 50 people be postponed for eight weeks.

With that recommendation in mind, the NBA is reportedly looking further down the line. The league is beginning to view mid-to-late June as the best-case scenario and is scouting arena dates in August, which would likely be when the later rounds of the postseason were played, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Additionally, the G League is expected to cancel the remainder of its season, and the players have been informed that they would be paid for all scheduled games, per Wojnarowski and Malika Andrews.

An NBA game obviously includes far more than 50 people even without fans in the arena. Teams can have up to 17 players each with them on the bench, and then there are coaching and medical staffs, broadcasters and any other essential personnel in the building.

If the league were to pick back up in June, it would not necessarily be in typical arenas. The league is considering using smaller venues in the same cities to combat the emptiness of a giant stadium, including practice facilities, according to Wojnarowski. Doing so would create the potential for unique television angles.

The league is doing everything in its power to resume down the line if it is at all possible. Players have been asked to enforce social distancing, and if they travel out of their home market, they must disclose their whereabouts and remain home, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. These steps at least theoretically make it harder for more players to contract the illness, and a resumption of the season while NBA players are still sick would be impossible.

If the NBA were to resume in mid-to-late June, it would likely have to reconsider the manner in which it picks things back up. With over a month of regular-season games left on the original schedule and two months of playoffs, picking up in June could force the Finals into September. Throw in time for a second training camp to help get players back into shape and the schedule in its original state would simply be impossible to manage. The implication of looking for arena dates in only August is that the NBA would truncate the remainder of its season in some way.

The simplest option would be to simply eliminate the end of the regular season and begin the postseason with the current standings. Spencer Dinwiddie suggested a bold alternative on Twitter: a 30-team tournament for the championship that would incorporate regular-season standings as seeding.

Nothing is certain at this point except for the obvious: the NBA season will not finish in the manner that we are accustomed to. It will either be canceled outright or altered in some drastic manner. How exactly it would be, we can't yet say, but Wojnarowski's report suggests that the league is doing everything in its power to try to find a way to finish the season.

[​IMG]
    CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
    Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
    I agree that CBS Sports can send me the "CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter" newsletter.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I discovered "ice cross" on NBC Sports Network last night. I'm good now. lol

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And USA Today mock Madnessed the Ducks into the Final Four, so we have that. Hmmm, did they go ahead and give the title to the women?!?

5. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Derby official announcement at 9AM tomorrow. Judging from hotel prices, I'm guessing Derby will be held on September 5th. I'll have to wait for my email from Churchill Downs about my existing tickets for this year's Derby. Whatever the date, I'll be attending. I took a chance and re-booked hotel for that weekend; I can always cancel if race is on another date.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They just announced it on the early-early news, although I did not catch the exact date.

I'm assuming that the Preakness and Belmont will be postponed as well?

10. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a small amount of money on DraftKings leftover that I withdrew. With no professional sports on the horizon, I don't see a need to keep a balance on a daily Fantasy sports site.

Hopefully they still process it.

11. LVRaiders

LVRaiders Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    4 more NBA players just tested positive.

IMG_20200317_161603.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2020
    Hoping for Pool Weather
    Trying out Vdara
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PGA Tour now cancelled through the Byron Nelson and the PGA Championship is postponed.

13. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ky Derby now the first Saturday in September! It will be interesting to see if the winner comes from the pool of current logical contenders, such as Tiz the Law, Authentic, Nadal, etc. or another horse emerges who is immature right now but will grow up in a hurry over the summer. Tiznow, who won the BC classic twice in a row, was a late blooming three-year old in 2000 when he won the classic. Tiznow was still a maiden when the Derby was run that year.

14. aspenq

aspenq Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I am most sad about... Euro 2020 delayed until summer 2021

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  16. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's most concerning is that 3 are currently asymptomatic.

17. LVRaiders

LVRaiders Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Durant doesnt even play.

Hoping for Pool Weather
    Trying out Vdara
  18. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is Kevin Durant symptomatic? I understand he needs his privacy, but he's one of the greatest players in the game, ever. I can't imagine it without him - I mean after he recovers from his achilles, I was hoping he would return to at least 90% after the surgery.

19. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what I read, no symptoms. So barring a shocking turn of events, he'll be fine in ~2 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Don the Dentist

Don the Dentist LV resident

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived in NJ back then and John Patrick was on one of the cable channels. Biggest, smuggest A-hole around and had no idea about mathematics of gambling.
    He had different strategies depending on the amount of your bet...because...of course...the odds change!!
    Sorry I messed this up. only the first sentence is from the original post.

• Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.