1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by M&M Man, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not going to argue about anything here, simply point out something as far as customer service, especially in the hospitality industry. 99% of everything you hear about hospitality industry is peoples gripes n complaints. Why? Because people have grown to expect free shit when things aren't perfect. If 1000 people rent a car from Dollar, and 1 person has a problem but the other 999 are satisfied, guess who you are going to hear from??? The ONE person that had the problem, the other 999 aren't going to go out of their way to praise- it is just the way it is. You always hear about the complaints, and very rarely hear about the good things. Just sayin.

2. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for. Spirit derives a higher portion of its revenue from fees than the other airlines. It takes less time to board an aircraft without carry on's, so it charges a higher fee than for checked luggage. Having an agent print out a boarding pass at the check in area takes time, so there is a fee for that, print it out on your own at home. Water and soda add weight to an aircraft, so Spirit charges for these. All of the fees are spelled out before a ticket is purchased, yet many of the complaints are about the fees.

I was able to buy a Philly to Vegas ticket for $58 each way, but I paid $30 for checked baggage and $25 for an exit row seat. My total fare is $228 round trip, and this is a direct flight, a similar ticket from US Airways was at least $100 more. Spirit has one direct flight out of Philly around 8:00 pm and the return is a red eye around 10:30 pm. My ideal itineary for an early flight out and an afternoon return would have been over $500.

There are too many folks who like to play the blame in life because its easier than taking personal responsibility. Yes, their customer service sucks, and it takes an effort to speak to a human, so these complaints are legitimate. But if I can save $100 on a ticket, all in,heads up with fees, I will fly Spirit.

I hope I am not singing a different tune in three weeks after my 5+ hour flight.

3. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't want this thread to go off topic, but I completely agree. People are more likely to post a complaint than a recommendation. I have been guilty of that at times myself.

However, that still doesn't mean I would book any flight, hotel room, activity, etc if the company got 2000 terrible reviews and 100 good reviews. LOL The scales are tipped far too low for me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But that is my point, those 100 good reviews are usually a very, very small fraction of satisfied customers. In your scenario, 100 good reviews, 2000 terrible, but then there might have been 50,000 satisfied customers that just didn't leave a review. It is always the bad things you hear about, and rarely the good.

5. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    percentages can mean something, but when numerous people have stories about terrible customer service if the face of a cancelation, i'm less concerned about whether that percentage of the whole is 1 or 2 percent.

that being said, i'm a gambler, when the price and the timing is right, i'll see for myself.

6. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You saved $100 but wouldn't you rather have spent the extra $100 and received a free half cup of soda and some peanuts!!!! :poke:

7. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just came back from Vegas on Spirit (17th) and the flights left on time, they didn't say boo about my rolling cooler or my filled water bottle or even my Corned beef and Swiss on a kaiser roll that I munched on all the way to Vegas and I paid $103.80 Non-stop Round Trip From Minneapolis.
    I love Spirit....Do your homework and be prepared and you will love Spirit too!

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never hidden the fact that I'm cheap. I didn't have a problem with their fee structure. I read reviews before booking and felt a lot of the complaint didn't apply to me. The complaints were also vague. Example; the plane was late or delayed but didn't say by how long? Or the service sucked and no specifics. So, I went ahead and booked with them direct from Detroit to Vegas last year, first time flying with them.

My complaints; There was confusion about the gate in Detroit. They had one gate on the boarding pass, another one on the board and then the flight was at another gate. They didn't really care about sorting it out. I guess they figured if you were serious about making your flight, you'd find it. I'm five foot nuthin' and I was really jammed in there. The plane smelled like a Greyhound bus. We left over an hour late from Detroit. Our redeye flight back to Detroit was over 2 hours late. I guess we're lucky they didn't make us wait all that time and then cancel the flight entirely. Some passengers on our flights had to make connections, and staff didn't seem to care.

My husband doesn't think other airlines are any better or worse. He figures they all suck these days. He says he'll fly them again. As long as he gets to Vegas in one piece and he's only flying once a year, he can put up with them. But, they're my last resort now. If another airline is within $100 or $150 of their price, I'll fly them instead. I'm going to think very hard before booking with Spirit again.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit is having another one day sale today, an example: Philly to Vegas from $58.89 for $9 fare club members or $73.89 otherwise, these rates are for specific dates of travel. Minneapolis from $38.89/$53.89.

10. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew with Spirit once and I hated it.

First off, their fares weren't a ton different than other carriers.

Second, they charge for carry-on (the only airline I know that does this), so they "get you" even if you try to go light.

Third, the seating is cramped as f*ck. I'm 5'9" with a muscular build and I thought I'd catch a blood clot in my leg and die.

Fourth, and I think they "bank" on you not knowing this, their baggage weight limit is 40 pounds and not the usual 50 so you end up paying extra if you didn't know.

They just....suck.

As someone mentioned, they might fill a niche if you catch some steal of a fare and just want hit a game in another state and come back.

The only good thing I could say good about them is that their plane felt "new" inside.

I'd take Spirit as a last resort. It's is literally the $100+ extra to spend elsewhere, especially SWA where bags are free.....all bags.

I hope they fail and go out of business.

This ^^ is on point.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a great flight and paying $25 for an exit row seat was worth every penny. I could stretch out, probably an extra 8" of seat pitch. Only complaint was a one hour delay, but I had a one day pass at the US Airways club lounge which overlooked the departure gate. Damn, I could get used to that. Actually, my second complaint was the seats lacked cushioning and I started to notice about 3 hours into the flight. But, ended up saving a ton of money, and I would do it again. Not sure I would want to do this in a middle seat way in the back.

I believe many of the complaints stem from not reading all of the details, such as paying extra for checked and carry on baggage, the cost for drinks and such. I would love to get a small, hard sided case that maximizes the carry on dimensions of Spirit. If you pack smart, you could probably pack enough for a long weekend.

Bring your own bottled water, I brought two cans of soda, thanks to US Airways Club Lounge, and I was till thirsty when I arrived.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  12. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are partly correct, in my case.

I didn't read that they had a 40lb weight limit per bag. Everyone else has 50lbs so it's pretty known as standard. I knew about the carry-on cost but I can easily see someone being ignorant of this since carry-on has been free as a stardard.

Basically, Spirit has lower standards and then, from my experience of simply shopping by price, they haven't even been the price leader which is pretty sad.

I think they make a good amount of money with people not knowing the prices. Charging for carry-ons is a bit despicable, imo.

Add to all of that, they had the worst leg room I've ever experienced in my life.

13. joshcox19

joshcox19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They wont. Unlike a lot of airlines, Spirit is actually turning a profit quite successfully.. Their pricing/fares work well and continue to draw in new customers. Budget airlines (Spirit/Allegiant) are becoming more and more popular and are expected to continue growing..

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know. I jus' hatin'.[​IMG]

15. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying out to Vegas from MSP in 3 weeks, using Spirit for the third time this year. RT cost is $165; my son booked a couple of days later for just $135. If I would have waited til last week I could have booked the same flights for just $118. That's flying out at 10 AM and returning at 1:45 PM (no red-eye flight). I booked another trip for December and my total cost is $98; it's just a quick 3 day trip so my backpack fits under the seat...no luggage charge. Sure the seats are uncomfortable, but it's hard to complain about a $98 fare. I have not encountered any problems on my previous flights and the added daytime flight schedule makes Spirit all the more appealing.

16. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son decided to join our Vegas trip. We are flying SW Out of MKE. Well yeah, he could have gotten on our flights, but it was $206 each way. I mentioned that when I looked for my niece the day before, Spirit had a deal for $188 rt out of OHare. He laughed and told me if I can find rt to Vegas for $188 he would go. This is a 26 yr old cheapie, lol!! Lo and behold, Spirit still had that deal, so he booked it. We will be landing (supposed to anyway) at the same time. I told him beforehand about the extra charges, but he doesn't care about what seat, peanuts etc. he's convinced all he needs will fit in his backpack, thus no fee. I offered to bring whatever he needs, but I just got the know it all smirk. So it will be interesting to see how he packs and if he lands on time. This is panning out to be an awesome trip.

Now, I, myself would never fly Spirit, not with Southwest being so accessible, so it will be interesting to see what he thinks of Spirit. He 5'10", but a beanpole.

:beer::beer::beer:

17. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm considering adding one final Vegas trip for 2013 for the post-Thanksgiving weekend in November.

Nonstop from Detroit, Spirit is $378 for my dates ($318 base; I've factored in the $30 baggage fees).

Southwest is $495. :cry:

I really don't want to fly Sprit. The horror stories scare me.

18. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scratch that.

American is $327 ($277 + baggage fees).

I'd prefer a nonstop, but I'll take this over resorting to Spirit any day.

19. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'd take $327 any day, solid solid fare from my airport

20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wow that sounds kinda awesome....seeing as there is no luggage.

Spirit really does fill a niche.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.