1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit Airlines - how much do their add-ons really add up to?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Candy Apple, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit = Never Again!

I'd pay double to fly anyone other than Spirit. Lost baggage, horrible (or lack of any) customer service, nickle/dime you with fees, uncomfortable seating, poor experience every time

My $.02

2. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not Universal, but I agreed with his post and I've never flown Spirit. As a tall person, Spirit's 28" seat pitch makes them "unflyable" for me.

3. drdm01

drdm01 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Spirit several times a year. Here's my 2 cents:

Pros:
    Cheap prices
    Normally on time

Negatives:
    Small seats with no leg room
    No music or movies on flights
    They charge for carry on luggage (small personal item is free)
    They charge for checked bags (40 pound limit as opposed to 50 with most airlines)
    If anything goes wrong their customer service is the worst
    If you want water, soda, snacks, etc. you have to pay with credit or debit card
    They charge for seats (we never pay, get to the airport early and always sit together)
    They nickel and dime you for everything

That being said we fly Spirit if the total price is $50 per person less than other airlines with all fees included and the flight times are good. We also live and fly from south Florida where Spirit is headquartered.

We have flown Frontier and would say they are very similar with their pricing model and service. I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RandomTask

RandomTask Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying Spirit for the first time on Superbowl sunday. They're very clear on pricing. I'm just taking a light back pack so no fees and paid for the "big seat" (reviews and videos I watched likened it to first class sizing on the majors without the amenities). It was $75 one way from SEA and that was about $50 cheaper than anything else when I booked. Hoping it all goes well. One drawback is they aren't tied in with TSA Pre

• Like Like x 1
  5. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad you've had good experiences with them, but want to point out for others that, in WSJ's 2016 domestic airlines ratings, they finished in last place (out of nine) in both the "on time arrivals" and "extreme delays" categories.

6. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Spirit 5 my last 5 Vegas trips. The big front seat is the only way to fly Spirit. Yes it is like first class on the legacy airlines. Only once was there a delay of about 3 hours. But we did get there. With Spirit you simply do the math. If it's cheaper with all the extra fees then fly with them. If not then go with someone else. For me even with 2 checked bags and $100 per ticket for the big front seat it's still cheaper then any other option.

7. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    once you get within about 45 days of departure, prices really start to tighten up. I wouldn't wait too much longer.

8. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at seatguru, there are only a few of these seats available on most flight. Are they readily available at booking, or are they often already taken?

They seem to be reasonably priced from what I've read, so I feel they would be hard to come by. Do you typically need to book way in advance to get one?

9. srudude87

srudude87 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some breaking Spirit news, now they are in TSA precheck starting today.

10. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, I saw CLE airport put this on their Facebook earlier.

11. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today is the last day of the "sale" on SW, such as it is...I'll probably splurge and pay the extra for SW rather than using two different airlines. At least if plans change I can cancel SW and not be stuck with non-refundable tickets and pre-paid luggage like I would with Spirit.

12. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have made my decision.

I booked the flights with SW both ways. It's good knowing if something comes up the flight can be changed and I'll be more relaxed going on a reputable airline.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always book at least 3 months in advance. I've looked out of curiosity at flights 2 weeks out and sometimes the big front seats available sometimes not. If I couldn't get the big front seat I would pass on Spirit.

14. jefftune

jefftune Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Cle to Vegas last year on Spirit. I only flew with a personal item - a decent sized soft bag, but no prob carrying it on. I did pay an extra $12 for a window seat and that was it. Oh, and a beer on the way out, lol. I am 6' tall and the seat didn't seem to bother me. I am flying to Vegas in early May and got a inexpensive Frontier/Spirit hacker fare (two one-way fares). Can't beat the price and it is non-stop flights.

15. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad I booked Southwest. Due to a family visit we might have to change our trip from April to May. If I had bought Spirit we'd be stuck with our dates.

• Like Like x 1
  16. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really glad to hear that you didn't book Spirit. There's just too many issues with that airline. They did bounce the old CEO about a year ago, but I still haven't read too many positive reviews since. There's enough stress when you travel (packing, drive to airport, park, shuttle bus to terminal, security, blah, blah, blah....) that you don't need to give your money to an airline that treats their customers like an inconvenience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.