1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit Airlines cancelling hundreds of flights

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dmr, Aug 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those folks also expected the airlines to help them and they didn't

• Like Like x 1
  2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    falls again under poor planning.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very poor contingency/DR planning, IMAO, that is. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe a silly question but who flies somewhere with literally no money and no debit/credit card? Are they planning on writing checks whenever they land lol?

I've flown tons of places using Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier over the years and knock on wood but have never had any kind of issue whatsoever so feel like im free rolling at this point on all ive saved so if something like this were to happen im still up in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they did any research they would know Spirits history of stranding passengers. This was nothing new. That is the main reason I would never fly them. But, these are passengers I would not expect to research anything. You can bet none ever heard of a Contract of Carriage, which spells out what you can expect from an airline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's called unrealistic expectation.

7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part of the problem is that the airline staff doesn't always know what the game plan is to be. Okay, your flight is canceled. Can they rebook you today? Do you have to stick around to go standby? Should you get a room and wait for tomorrow? Is there a reasonable chance you can get out today if you're there and a seat on another flight is open? What's the point that you have to abandon hope for the day?

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were not soon to retire I moght recommend a professional project management agency to help them out! :)

9. runningonthehub

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing I have noticed with Spirit is sometimes their schedules do not have a next flight out of a city for one or two days. There is a good chance will not get on that flight because it is already full. Spirit is not going to book you with another airline because they do not have that agreement. They sure as hell ain't going get a room for you. Their staff know this. It is not in their policy. Just because you book a fight with an airline, do not think they owe you something because they do not. That is the way Spirit airlines thinks. Better read the Contract of Carriage. They cannot be a budget airline and give you all the perks of the big guys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most all flying in this country is like traveling steerage anyhow. Pretty much always an unpleasant experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "when the sweetness of cheapness wears off, the bitterness of poor quality lingers on"

So how much did that $49 flight cost you now? Cheaper is not always better. And as stated above, you cannot expect a budget airline to hand out food vouchers, free rooms, re-booking on Delta, etc. You can't have it both ways - cheapest available flight and all the perks of a Top 3 carrier

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. I am amazed at how many people travel without credit cards - yes plural. Very cheap insurance to cover you when something happens. We each have at least 2 cards with us and they are different ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is a transportation shortage of the fuel in some areas, usually smaller airports that have their fuel trucked in as opposed to bigger airports that have pipelines to deliver their fuel.
    The trucking community is having the same labor issues everyone else is having currently.

14. Packeral

Packeral High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds to me like a lot of you want to blame the passengers. It’s not their fault these flights were canceled. Where I live we really don’t have any other good options for flights. You either have to fly to Minneapolis or Denver first. Quit being so judgmental on why people fly how the do. It’s not always cause they’re cheap or don’t have credit cards. Sometimes it’s their best/ only option.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  15. runningonthehub

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have said before that some people have no other choice than Spirit. Spirit may be the only airline flying out of their only airport. I do not blame them at all. You do what you have to do. We all make choices. We do not all choose wisely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was reading about that, Apparently the problem started with the amount of fuel needed to fight the wildfire. i have also read that Portland has 3 large above ground storage tanks. Would there be a pecking order on who gets fuel first that it would affect one airline more than others or was that not the case?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  18. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With a subscription to a service like ExpertFlyer, you can see exactly what happened to a flight. It's the scroll direct from the airline (and often from the tower).

It's saved me a number of times when an airline agent tries to call it on weather, but then I quietly tell them otherwise.

Whether it's lack of crew, mechanical or something else, a frequent flier should always know their rules of carriage and use them wisely.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Spirit in both Chicago and Vegas. Denver as well. Always on time or earlier even.

That being said, I've been watching my specific flight and it was cancelled 3 times in a week. So definitely concerned here.

They said the issues should be fixed by the middle of this week, so...

20. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And if they told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.