1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SpinyNorma's Micro-rolling Geezer Tour (November 2018)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by SpinyNorma, Apr 11, 2019.

1. luckylinda

luckylinda Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @SpinyNorma thanks for posting I always enjoy your reports.

2. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun trip report. Thanks for taking us along. I love Dragon’s Lair too. I have several figurines from there, mostly flap cats.

Trip with the family to see the Eagles
  3. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spiny is the best!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SpinyNorma

SpinyNorma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding. That pesky real life has reared its ugly and inconvenient head a lot lately. I'd actually started a response yesterday but a storm knocked out our internet and cable for 13 hours, leaving me bored and annoyed. On the bright side, I got to practice my cussing skills.

Ardee--Good to hear from you. I probably won't be going back until November, maybe even December. I keep being tempted by the idea of spending my birthday there but it's right at Christmas (not the day itself but very close) and I always end up deciding against it.

JPW711--Thanks for the sympathy. My wicked feet and I have been in an ongoing battle for more years than I care to do the math on, second only to my legendary battle with gravity. The shoulder isn't too bad back home where I have my nephew Duncan to help with the heavy lifting, reaching, and such so that I don't usually have to push it further than it likes to go. In Vegas, however, I don't have my helper so my good shoulder starts bitching about having to do everything and I end up making the bad one help out some. This soon results in my remembering why I avoid doing that, as I end up having TWO cranky shoulders. They become my Evil Twins who I have named Bitchy and Whiny. Good times.

Valgal--My friends would probably laugh at your description of me as a glass half full kind of person. They'd probably say that I'm a cranky person with a good sense of humor, more likely to ask just what the glass was half full of. At any rate, when that half full glass gets spilled on you, you can either have a full blown hissy fit or you can laugh. Laughing is quicker, less tiring, and doesn't result in several follow up rounds of nitpicking analysis with people taking sides and starting it up all over again.

I love your No Drama pin. I wish I'd had one to wear back when I was working. One of the things I like best about being retired is that it eliminated nearly all the drama I had to put up with.

Electroguy--It sounds like we might well be Geezer Twins. Maybe one day we'll meet up in Vegas and yell at the passersby to get off our lawn. Or just scare them off with the noises we make sitting down and getting up again.

Kkinwi--Once I got into my room at Ellis Island, I had that same thought--that if I had to get the wrong day, showing up a day early was better than showing up a day late. I'm sure trying to hustle up a room for an unexpected extra night is nothing compared to figuring out what to do when you discover you missed your flight. When I've looked up flights out of Vegas, I always find the ones around midnight to be very confusing as well.

Courtney--Be careful what you ask for.

Bonnie--I want to say thanks for noodging me into writing the report. I'd kind of forgotten how much fun it can be to write these things up. Remind me of this when I take my next trip. I don't know that I'll get better about taking detailed notes again but I'll try to take more pictures to remind myself of what happened and at least roughly when.

To everyone who commented that I didn't get to address personally (I'm trying to finish this up and get it posted), thanks again for all the nice things that were said. It's a tremendous ego boost. I even tried to do a little strutting but tripped over the cat which settled me down considerably. The cat fussed at me and the dog gave me a look that said he loved me but I was making him sad.

Edited because it's apparently a bad idea to try to write when your brain tells you that if you don't go to bed right now, it's going to sleep without you.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    • Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. azlefty

azlefty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a classic.

6. Whilestockslast

Whilestockslast Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really enjoyed the read, and then I read the bit about working in a psychiatric institution and it all made sense - yes I too have spent my entire working life in that field

7. SpinyNorma

SpinyNorma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I first read this as saying I was a classic. It made sense seeing as I'm old, my parts are wearing out, and it costs a lot more to maintain me than it used to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SpinyNorma

SpinyNorma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's definitely...different, isn't it? A twisted sense of humor is actually an asset to working on a psych ward. It also taught me some things that have come in handy during the more...interesting aspects of my Vegas trips. Mainly things like how to roll with the punches (Luckily, not literally--at least not in Vegas. So far.), not to sweat the small stuff, and to let most things roll off your back.

It also teaches you flexibility and how to come up with a Plan B quickly. That's been handy several times. Plus it prepares you for seeing people who aren't wearing nearly enough clothes. After all those years out there, I've now seen more unattractive nekkid people than the average hooker. This can be handy, particularly on Fremont Street. The chubby guy in the diaper thong and angel wings hardly fazes me at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fabriano

fabriano Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing. I read your report on Blonde's board. Enjoyed it so much, I reread it here!

10. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can relate to seeing more nekkid people than a hooker. Seen more than my fair share of psychiatric patients in the ER -- Because our beloved police officers (and I do love them) don't know what to do when they pick up a nekkid person who is howling at the moon threatening to harm someone (or themself). So they kindly bring them to the ER. We have one mental health worker who is on call for - 4-5 counties. They do rotate call but there is not nearly enough of them and I know for a fact they do not get paid enough. Thank God above there are people with the heart and patience to deal with patients experiencing a psychiatric crisis. We just want to drug them, tie them up, and make them shut up. -- That was back in the good old days. If I've learned one thing about psychiatric patients they know their rights -- boy do they know their rights. They just aren't capable of knowing their rights end when it is infringing on others. And, It usually ends with us calling the police back to have a come to Jesus talk. Something about a guy in a uniform with a badge and gun. Holds much more weight than a nurse in in smurf blue scrubs.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Because Texas is not hot enough in August
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another nice read @SpinyNorma! Im glad Ellis Island worked in a pinch!

12. Whilestockslast

Whilestockslast Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both myself and my wife are registered mental health nurses in the uk and have been for 35 years so yes when we walk the streets of Vegas many things humour us and disappoint us but mainly we we just make a comment to each other which is followed by spontaneous laughter where we become the entertainment! Now as for the gambling well we just change the reality of using money as in £GBP to entertainment tokens $USD because you just don’t feel as bad if it all goes pear shaped.

13. Bgoll279

Bgoll279 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very entertaining and fun read. Like others have said, your writing style is wonderful.

14. RedChip

RedChip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loved your TR! "Ruby Rabble"....hey that's me. :)

15. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another fabulous report; I laughed throughout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I promise to harass you daily on your next trip...lol

• Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1