1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Special Occasion Gifts

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vegasbound, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

Hey all, I'm looking for some feedback:

For the ladies, when it comes to your birthday and anniversary what sort of gifts do you prefer? Flowers, jewelry, spa appt, dinner and movie, etc. What's the ideal amount you'd like your spouse to spend? Nothing, $50, $75, $100, $150, $200+

For the men, what's your typical gift and how much do you budget?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm female, married 12 years. We don't do gifts for each other on birthdays or anniversaries. Homemade gifts only for Christmas.

What we do is save (together) a bunch of money every month in a separate savings account for travel. Next week we are going to Paris. For my 40th birthday next year, we're charting a sailboat in the Caribbean.

(we also rarely eat out, bring our lunches to work every day, both have cars paid off and no credit card debt, less than 8 years left on mortgage, etc - travel is truly a priority for us so it consumes a lot of our disposable income)

3. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

We don't exhange gifts, travel is our priority, too. That's why this is so foreign to me.

4. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever she wants.

Trust me, this is always the right answer.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Male here.

I dont so much care about the cost of a gift.

what does it for me is a gift wrapped in plain brown paper, like that big roll you buy at a craft store.

for some reason I save this special paper for my most special gives that i give. So if I give you some gifts and they are wrapped in regular wrapping paper, I dont really care about you that much about you.

if you get one wrapped in brown paper then you mean the world to me.

if someone gives me a gift, any gift and its wrapped in plain brown paper, it means the world to me.

odd but true.

A tip for guys is if you are going to buy flowers, and you should, dont get cheap ones. Women seem to have a sixth sense and can detect cheap flowers a mile away.

pay the $100 and have them delivered to her at work in front of her coworkers. its worth the extra money.

6. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A female perspective checking in!

I think the real answer is "it depends". (Could that be any more female of an answer?)

It really depends on what you as a couple value and agree is your priority. I think this changes somewhat also on how long you have been celebrating these holidays together. My dad tried to be sweet to my mom in pre-Skadoo days by sending her roses to her work. She got mad because she would've rather put that money toward a new couch for the house. Now, lil' Skadoo is cut from her daddy's cloth and would've appreciated the flowers! (Whoever said about getting it delivered in front of the co-workers is right. No point at home, who can you make jealous that way?)

If you can be thoughtful, the need to spend tons of money is less important. Ladies dig thoughtfulness.

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So then you're not getting a gift for your spouse in this question?

More general advice would be something within your budget that is what the person might want but would not buy for him/herself:peace:

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since Blue mentioned being thoughtful, here's my trick for that. Because if I was actually thoughtful, I'd be a woman. But you can fake it.

When my wife tells or shows me something she wants, I sneak back and buy it immediately. I then hide it, and break it out for a gift giving opportunity half a year later. She forgets she ever showed it to me, and thinks I really understand her. Couldn't be farther from the truth...I have no clue. But I've got a credit card and a closet.

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not married but any of these. Don't forget perfume, too! For a spa appointment, I would suggest enough for two or three services at that establishment. For the rest, I think sentiment is more important than a specific dollar value.

10. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So that's how my DH does it! LOL Most excellent post :nworthy:

11. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG, I tend to be very practical when it comes to what I want for my birthday. This year I asked for $$ to frame a couple of posters. Last year I wanted a new camp stove and a t-shirt from where we vacationed (cabin near the Grand Mesa, western Colorado). My BF is the same way. This year he wanted (and got) a new car stereo.

I like gift cards, too. :)

Christmas/Chanukah we don't do; instead we take a nice warm weather vacation in February.

12. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sigh......I would just love to get a gift for my birthday.

I would be totally content with the $8 bouquet at Walmart - I don't need $100 flowers. But just the thought would be great.

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My MIL used to have a gorgeous rose garden - maintained by a local rose company so she didn't have to worry about mildewicide spraying or anything:rolleyes2: So my husband would bring home roses ALL the time. I told him they didn't "count" because his mom did some of the work, his dad paid for it - all he had to do was get the roses home from the office to our house:evillaugh

The times he went to the hydrangeas outside his office and cut them and brought them home for me - THOSE counted because he made the effort:thumbsup:

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    aaaaaaaaaaah the saddest post I've seen in a while.:cry:
    For the most part, travel is our gift to each other, although I do have to get her something for the February birthday. But, that could be cash that we say go spend on gambling that you wouldn't normally do.

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This topic has come up here a few times over the years. I'll echo some of the sentiments others have posted, maybe add a bit to that.

Heartfelt and unique or special. That's the key. There is no formula. Price tag is irrelevant. I've seen, for instance, a lot of Valentine's afternoons with guys -- mostly guys -- running through the market like locusts to new wheat grabbing ANYTHING that they think will tag the it's-Valentine's-must-do-this base.

What rot.

We're comfortable not rich. I we want something--and I'm not talking a new vacation home or Porsche--we get it, whether for ourselves or for the other. If Terri wants an iPad and it's near her birthday, I'll get her the iPad but that isn't a birthday "gift." I recently bought new clubs and a new road bike, so that's my early birthday/Christmas "present" but Terri will do something totally from the heart come December. Just how we roll.

Like many, travel is more important than stuff. OK, wine is pretty damn important.

It's the little things that make it all go, and spontaneously, throughout the year. A handwritten note slipped into her lunch bag, a funny card waiting on my pillow, flowers from the farmer's market when one of us went there for bread or tomatoes, and "I love you" and a hug and kiss wherever and whenever.

16. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, once I read that I instantly felt a little sad. Send me your address jgates8, Ill send you some flowers.

For me I HATE receiving gifts, and I HATE giving them. A few years ago our family decided to stop giving gifts for christmas and it's the greatest feeling ever. I think it's so stupid for grown adults to buy each other gifts. If you really need it you would of bought it for yourself, and if you havn't bought it then you probably don't need it!

For birthdays all you're getting from me is free drinks all night.

Never had an "anniversary" that I gave a shit about so I don't have to worry about that!

17. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jewelry.
    It doesn't matter how much it cost just so long as it's meaningful

I don't like flowers, they die & it seems like a waste. I'm not a spa person but I do like a good mani/pedi & have liked getting a GC for that. I am a great cook so spending a lot of money on a fancy dinner seems like a waste - but I would be pretty happy if my husband would make me a grilled cheese.

When we Were Young
  18. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I am a female who has both practical and romantic minds. For birthday or the very special day, I would be thrilled and pampered by a romantic candlelight dinner. Sharing that special occasion with a very special person in your life is priceless. Money (i.e., the amount spent) is not a subject. The loving and caring thoughts/hearts/actions mean a whole world. :kiss:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.