1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spam email?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by joespoolhall, Aug 11, 2020.

1. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After the pandemic started, my junk mail went from an average of maybe 15-20 a day to less than five until about a week ago when it jumped to 25-30 a day. A couple of days it was over 50. I recently went from using a chrome book to a regular HP laptop. Would the change be the reason? I'm obviously not computer savvy. Not a big deal, just curious.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get between 50 and 100 a day. Lots of penis enlargers, woman who are dying to meet me and people who can buy my house at double the market value.

I also have put all of the Vegas offers into junk mail.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you buy something on-line from a new place? Does the laptop have all the same spam filters installed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hence the term junk mail!

The folks offering to buy your house might be the same folks
    hawking the enlargers, @Breeze147. They anticipate you'll need a bigger house! :eek:

I get congratulatory messages from Wad-Mart, CostCro, San's-Club, etc. wondering why I haven't claimed my $100 gift cards yet! :faint:

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 12
  5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even with spam filters setup, I still have to sift through my spam folders to make sure something important didn't get flagged as spam. Some days, only a few junk mails arrive, but it seems to go in spirts. Some days only a few, while others I get dump on with a 100 or more throughout the day.:bang:

Although, it's been over a year or longer, since I received one of those bogus Nigerian email scams telling me that I inherited millions of dollars! :eek: :kill:

6. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

You should feel bad for this guy.

nigeria.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm always receiving text messages of a political nature and other text trying to sell me CBD oil.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No new sellers. Laptop came from the big A. My niece (who is a whiz) is coming Sat to see how the Microsoft protection is doing. I bet that might be it. I had Defender on another LT and didn't think it did much. The spam isn't much to deal with, but overall protection is. I'll see what she says and go from there.

• Like Like x 2
  9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing I've noticed is a decrease in spam calls, which I'm assuming is the result of call centers having to ratchet down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Died? When? Does that mean I won't get my $10 million? Say is isn't so! :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If anything, it's an increase for me, particularly on the home line. LOL, or maybe because I'm home more and notice it more? On the office line, which I now have an extension of on my desk at home, there are very few hardcore spam/scam calls, but as always, a number of business sales calls, which will often times hang up when I start to read off the number of our purchasing agent. On the cell, it's mostly robo calls and Verizon has been flagging some of them as possible spam.

12. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just had a robo call that said my "social security has been compromise" and to wait to speak to an agent. I waited. A woman's (indian) voice stated she was special agent Garcia, my social security had been compromise and she asked my first and last name. I asked her why she didn't already know my name. She hung up on me.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to play with these people. It is my contention that they took the time and effort to irritate me, and as such, the least I can do is put forth some sort of effort to reciprocate in kind. It's the least I can do. I've had the social security scam and the apple computer scam (I suppose one day I should get an apple computer to see what sort of error messages my non-existent version is spewing forth over the interwebs).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got that same one. She had an ominous voice, like from a cheesy 50’s horror film. I hung up.

There’s also one that says my PayPal account is compromised and to send my personal info immediately.

15. Mudhen

Mudhen VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe these computers are getting too smart. I mean, how do they know who to send these types of ads?

16. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a setting on my phone I can go to and allow ALL calls from those NOT on my contact list to go directly to voice mail. It's great. If authentic a message is waiting for me. 90% don't even leave a message. It's fun!! ;)
    (Iphone.....it is under settings......phone ...silence unknown callers.....and then just below phone is messages...hit that and near the bottom...filter unknown senders. It makes life quieter anyway)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
    This here table isn’t a 5$ table; Pilgrim ~~
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm scared that because I didn't respond to a voice message that "the local cops" are going to come get me.