1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by blkshirt, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the united club visa, since I fly united for work and travel quite a bit. Helps me a lot. Not sure I want to add another card. Although I would save $200....

Thanks everybody I appreciate the info.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not?

Between my wife and I, we have maybe 30 or so active credit cards. If someone wants to give you 50,000 miles, why not take it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously? 30 cards? I thought our 6 cards were a lot.

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have a fare sale going on that should be ending soon. My experience is the fares are attractive and even fantastic at the start of a sale and get unsale-like closer to the end due to people do lots of searches and starting reservations that don't get completed.

My advice is more simple: Join Rapid Rewards and get their emails. Try again after this sale ends (sometimes the rates to Vegas are better with no sale) or when you get an email saying a new sale has begun.

5. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well mainly because even if I get a $200 credit, there's a $99 fee... No real advantage gained here. I rarely fly Southwest since I fly United for work and I have status there. I used miles to fly to Vegas for New Years, otherwise we'd do that again.

6. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could get chase sapphire preferred. 50 points after I think 4k in spend, can transfer them to sw 1:1.

$99 fee is waived for first year. Just a,suggestion

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you get a NEW SW credit card, you get 40 or 50,000 miles. That is good for many flights. If after the first year, you do not want to pay the annual fee, then drop it. Am I confused?

8. jon_vegas

jon_vegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone already suggested, get a Rapid Rewards account if you don't already have one and sign up for the emails - they tend to run sales and vegas is one of the most common destinations (at least from my city). You can always turn off the emails after your trip.

9. Cinwhim

Cinwhim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Often, regular SW rates start to fluctuate when you get to about 6-8 weeks out so you might be able to get a little bit better rate by waiting to book your flight. Or as others have suggested, book now and get a credit. It's easy to get the lower rate - I think I did it all on line without having to call so that part isn't painful. Not being able to use the credit in a year was much more painful! Just about broke my heart but it sometimes life just happens.

We're down in Columbus and have the same problem here with their rates. -sighs-

10. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

SWA has fares all year round, so a current sale isn't a big deal, unless they offer great pricing.
    More important than sales is to follow an industry guideline of booking at around the 45-day mark. Generally, that is when you will fidn the best deal.
    If you book too early, it is sucker ploy to get people locked into higher rates. Tons of people buys expensive fares months out because of fear of not getting a seat or worried the price will go even higher. Airlines know a certain percentage of the public will do this and price fares accordingly.
    Conversely, we all know what happens if one wait too long to book. A plane will often fill up and seats become more and more expensive.

11. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everybody else decided to fly spirit, no way. We weren't going to wait for the 45 to 30 day window to open, not with this trip. Booked last night on United one way and paid for that. Booked a one way home for the wife and I on miles.

Can't come soon enough now!

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "45 day" thing sometimes works and sometimes not. Let's face it, there is no magic number. With Southwest it's a no brainer to book as soon as you know your dates and then keep checking. If it goes down just rebook and you have the difference in your account for your next flight.

If you don't think you'll fly again within a year then you have to be more careful since those travel funds won't do you any good. Unless it's your very first flight ever to Vegas you'll know what's a good fare and what isn'tfrom your city. So when the price looks right book it. If it goes down rebook anyway even if you don't think you'll be able to use the funds. You never know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you rebook on SWA after a price drop, do you have to book the same flight or can you choose another another flight? For that matter, could you choose another airport and use the credit? Just wondering how this would work.
    Thanks.
    Good luck. :beer::beer:

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The credit is good for 1 year from the date of the original booking. It is your credit to use however and wherever you want to fly. A couple of years ago we had to change our plans and couldn't fly. i looked at the SWA calendar and picked a date as far out as I could. Once we decided, I then rebooked that credit again.

15. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Joe. There are two airports which I can fly out of. I am booked at the one furthest from where I live. I was wondering if the closer airport was to have a lower rate, could I use the credit to book the same dates at the other airport. Sounds like I can. I will keep checking rates.
    Good luck. :beer::beer:

16. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know SW credit card has been mentioned before. But it is advisable to just get 2 in your own name and work for the companion pass. You cannot combine points from husband and wife to get CP. Needs to be from one person. Work the cycle. Get 2 different ones for total of 100,000 (have seen and have a business one for 60,000 if available) Spend $4000 for the miles. Then $6000 more and you have CP for that year and next full year. Then repeat process with wife when your CP runs out. Drop yours and after hers runs out, repeat process. You can reapply and get miles after 2 years of original points. There are many ways (although not as easy as before) to get your qualifying amount for points.

17. Wayupinya

Wayupinya Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI the big front seats on Spirit are the nuts!

18. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know if this holds true if you booked a SW Vacation Package on the flight?

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I'm no help. I've never been on SWA Vacation package. I'll be curious to see the answer.

20. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kinda sounds like it, but the part in red is a little unclear. I'd feel better if it was worded differently to say if that if there was excess value, it could be redeemed.

http://www.southwestvacations.com/generalinformation/TermsPackagesNew.aspx

B2. Modifications
    • Modifications are defined as changes to the flight time/number on existing travel dates; changes to hotel; or changes to the rental car; or changes to activities.
    • Southwest Vacations does not charge any modification fees, however customer is subject to any price increase as a result of modification.
    • The air portion of the vacation package is nonrefundable once purchased, but is exchangeable. In case of a modification, Southwest Vacations will apply the value of the exchangeable air to the new air on the modified reservation. If the exchangeable air value cannot be applied to the reservation, it can be redeemed for future air travel directly with Southwest Airlines. Redemption information will be provided at time of cancellation.
    • Once booked, any modifications to the hotel, rental car, or activities on an existing reservation are subject to supplier penalties up to the full component price.
    • Supplier penalties are established by each supplier and enforced by Southwest Vacations. Southwest Vacations does not charge any fees or penalties to modify your vacation package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.