1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest has had low fares in Jan want to pull the trigger early.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by fischer, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fischer

fischer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest has had the same low fares for me the last 3 days. $373 RT from upstate NY to LV. That is pretty darn good. I have to purchase for 6 people and that scares me, too many moving parts. Our trip isn't until Jan 9th 2018, and the likely hood of anyone dropping out IS possible, even though it's all immediate family, Me, Wife, Son, Mother, Daughter. her husband. And son will be bringing a friend or two, but they can find their own flight.

The next closest price from the same location starts at $451. So the difference in the SW fare is the cost of another ticket.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And of course, you can cancel the SW ticket and use that credit for another flight.

3. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with nostresshere...The longer you wait it is MUCH more likely that the dates or the specific flight you're looking at will rise quickly. I've booked flights to Vegas often over the years and just out of curiosity checked these a day or two later and the price has increased by a substantially.

If not needed the credit is good for a year.

4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked for January (from BOS) the day they came out. I've gotten the best SW price for my dates the last few trips by booking as soon as the schedule came out, or within a couple of weeks of that.

Of course, you have to be able to recognize what a good price is. Summer's usually more expensive than winter, so just because a January price is lower than August or September doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

5. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked SW rt out of Chi for $149 on 9 Jan ..can't wait...don't see prices going much lower if at all

6. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest Vacations runs killer deals when bundling....might want to check that out to

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. fischer

fischer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We own at HGVC Flamingo so rooms are already booked, just need airfare.

8. Red18andRed23

Red18andRed23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in the same boat...my hotel is booked for February 2018....just deciding if I should book my SW flight now...oooooor will it drop...I know all about the credits ;) I am from TO so I need to factor in the exchange rate...I still think its best to fly from Buffalo than TO!

To book now or not to book now is the question!

9. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, bought my ticket a few days ago for Feburary. Could have pave 132 round trip from TX, but i wanted a nonstop flight, and not have to leave at the crack of dawn or middle of the night so i paid a little more. Still under $ 200 round trip. I havent been to Vegas in a couple of years so even though its months away its still hard not to get excited. I use to go several times a year.

10. Red18andRed23

Red18andRed23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Under $200 RT...WOW cheapest I am looking at is $216 one way from Buffalo...which I think is still not bad!

11. fischer

fischer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok got too nervous and purchased for Jan 9th RT from Albany NY $374 not bad at all for that airport (only about 45 minutes from our house). This was with Southwest. Needed a wheelchair so gets one of us 4 early boarding. I chose early check-in for the other two (probably wouldn't need it if the first two can save us seats).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Red18andRed23

Red18andRed23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Us too!! We just booked our February trip! SW from Buffalo ✈️ Price was reasonable for us and if it drops we then get the credit...we chose to book now because we have set dates that we needed and we wanted non stop too...I would have waited longer but like you was too nervous...too worried the flights would jump higher! Vegas here we come

13. Cinwhim

Cinwhim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked our August flights in March thinking I could re-book and get better rates. So far I haven't found rates a dime cheaper. Which makes me glad I booked when I did but also upsets my cheapo side. Lol

14. fischer

fischer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are the SW "wanna get away" options flexible with rebooking IF the price changes? I didn't think so. I do know they will give you credit if you dont use the tickets.

15. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just rebooked my departure flight to Las Vegas for a substantial savings. Departure flight home actually went up, so, naturally did not rebook it. The credit will be held on to for future flight bookings. Hope to use it before it expires, otherwise, no real savings.

16. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, we don't have SW where we normally fly from. But, they do fly out of MSP. Just booked today for a trip to JAX (Daytona 500 and cruising) in February 2018. Taking all other factors into play (including parking and the previous night hotel park/sleep/fly) it was still about $400 cheaper taking Southwest than flying out from our normal airport. The flight times were also much better and one less stopover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.