1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Companion Pass?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife got an email congratulating her on reaching Companion Pass status and she can designate 1 person for 1 year to fly with her.

I've been all over the SWA web site and can't find an explanation. Does that mean as her designated Companion, I fly for free every time we fly together?

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    found this in an online blog

I have a Companion Pass and this is perhaps the best miles and points perk which we have. Why? Because it lets a companion travel with you for free whenever you travel on Southwest. It doesn’t matter if your flight is booked with points or paid for with cash – your companion flies free!

Sounds like a great deal!

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds almost too good to be true. Ms. Gecko and I get companion vouchers on Delta every year that are good for a companion on a SINGLE round trip flight. Travel must be completed by the expiration date, which is a year from receiving the award. I'd be most interested in seeing if SWA's companion pass is really good for an unlimited number of flights for a year.

Whoops - I goofed. Their program really is that good; that is, if you can qualify. It takes 100 one way flights per year or 110,000 flight miles. An awful nice perk, however.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got off the phone with SWA. Rebooked our AZ trip and my points went back to my account.

Rebooked April Vegas and I have until December to use those credits. Too bad I can't give them to someone else but that is no longer allowed on SWA.

I think we're going to be doing a lot of traveling this year:thumbsup:

5. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The companion pass is what makes the Chase Southwest card such a great deal.

It takes $60 spent on the credit card to earn $1 worth of flight credit on a Southwest flight. That is 1.67% reward earning, pretty good. But after you spend $110,000 on the card, you earn a Companion pass. The Companion pass really is as good as it sounds. Now you two can fly for the price of one. In effect you are now earning 3.34% return on your credit card purchases.

There are no blackout flights either. If there is a seat open you can use points to buy it.

Of course not many people can put $110,000 on a credit card in a year, but you can also earn a companion pass with 100 one way flights, or a combination of flights and credit card expenditures.

Signing up for the card was one of the best things I have ever done. And now it's even better because Southwest points can be used on AirTran. AirTran flies to a bunch of cool out-of-country places.

No, I don't own stock. Just a super satisfied customer trying to pass along what a good deal it is.

Oh, you can buy tickets for other people with your points. I do it all the time. You just need their birthdate and you can do it on-line. No it's not as easy as the old selling the vouchers were, but still very doable.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just reached companion-pass level and yes... her selected "companion" (you) can fly for free (actually $5) with her roundtrip, where ever she goes. I learned yesterday, that you can change the companion up to three-(3) times during the period... I just reached the level in early December, so my "period" includes the rest of this year and all of next year. If you are a "customer of size" (heavy person), you can also designate yourself as the companion and get an extra seat, which would be nice for long trips on busy flights.

Check the last bullet in the list: Companion Pass (I don't know why they bury this on their website)

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=rapid_rewards_program_terms_and_conditions

7. TMAN

TMAN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a great deal, starting my 3rd year with CP. just remember if you are A List this doesn't include the companion so if the companion doesn't check in early, you get stuck with a C boarding pass.

Also, you can change your companion 3 times a year. This is great as my wife doesn't like LV so I change it over to a buddy for a free flight boys weekend, next trip Superbowl.

Use it often and enjoy it!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.