1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest booking with points question?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by surf87, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this was addressed before but if I booked Southwest with points (2250 points) and the same flight dropped to 1675 points, can I rebook and get back my points? Or should I cancel my 2250 points flight and rebook the new flight for 1675 points and the 575 points will be deposited into my account? TIA.

When a price dropped and I've rebooked with the cash option I know my remaining funds remains in my Southwest account which I can later use for a subsequent purchase within a 1 year expiration but I've never tried it with points.

2. jimboguy

jimboguy My sloppy joe is all sloppy and no joe.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just rebook the same flight. No need to cancel. Your points will just go back in your account. I just did this on Monday with no issue. You use the "change flight" feature even though you're actually just rebooking the same flight for fewer points.

Hopefully the weather will be nice.
    • Agree Agree x 7
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, just rebook, the points go right back into your account. Cancelling would work the same, except if you had bought Early Bird, you'd lose it by cancelling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see, thanks. Just changed it a few hours ago but at first my remaining 371 points didn't get the added 575 points back. I logged out and logged back in but still no 371 + 575 = 946. Waited a few hours then logged back on and viola 946, thanks again. Nice to have the 575 points added back, I'm a happy camper.

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They've done some changes to their reservations system over the last several months that may have affected the speed with which your points got put back. although it could be browser settings also. In the past when I've done it, I see them returned as soon as I do something to refresh the page.

6. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am very glad the OP broached the subject. I just rebooked ou SW flight for our April trip. The change was exactly as the responders said -- completed the change and the 496 points per person savings was credited back to my Rapid Rewards account. Thank you!

7. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've rebooked SW flights several times prior to the flight date. Works great if you're using points, as everyone says. Two tips:
    - Book your travel as two separate one-way trips. There's no savings in booking round trip. Often one way may drop in cost, but the other doesn't or rises.
    - When you cancel a leg, check the "refund" box for your security fee payment. The default is "hold for future use" You won't see that money again unless you can remember the confirmation number for that flight when you book something in the future.

8. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks mark all good tips. Yes I have learned to book as two separate one-way trips as opposed to one transaction for a complete round trip. And yes I remember using the "refund" option instead of the "hold for future use," but I noticed that for some transactions even though I clicked the "refund" option the system automatically "held for future use." Any idea why the system did that. Maybe I had used funds from a prior credit so the system knew not to issue a refund?

9. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surf87,

If you used funds from a prior credit you won't get a refund. It'll just put them back in your credit balance. I've seen the system switch my selection back to "hold for future use" sometimes after I selected "refund" but before I submit my cancellation. Not sure why that happens, but if it's intentional it's sneaky. I just again switch it to "Refund" and hit cancel.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Lately, I've been using points to book flts that I am more likely to cancel, as opposed to actual monies, though you receive $ credit for up to a year from booking time. The problem with $$ credit is that if you apply it to another reservation and notice a price deduction, you will still get credit, but that time window of using it up gets smaller.

11. harveyd63

harveyd63 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always called

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.