1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sorry, need to vent....

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by in4mation808, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is an excellent point and very true. My wife was on an a long term medication that got recalled/discontinued whatever by the FDA due to some serious issues and her doctor never made her aware of it. She was on it for a while after the recall before finding out through some roundabout source. She also stopped taking it and got a new doctor immediately.

2. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take prednisone frequently. I've had 40 mg for two days and then stopped. Whenever I've taken it for a longer period, my doctor had me taper off the dosage over the final days (30,20,10).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. NYNJMINC

NYNJMINC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also can't take oral predinisone so if they try to prescribe it I ask for an injection instead.

4. tcocona

tcocona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear of your experience with Prednisone.Over the years I have been on the drug for several different reasons.It has a lot of side effects,but in my case it has been a life saver.You are normally tapered off the drug and that should help your body adjust.It is a great drug to treat inflammations in the body.I was on the drug for 18 months once when being treated for Temporal Arteritis.It wasn.t any fun,but it cured me so I feel blessed.Good luck on any future treatments.

5. tcocona

tcocona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well stated Val!!!!!!!

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, but I agree with chitownjohn. This happened about 15 years ago to a friend, details are a little fuzzy, but he was admitted to the hospital on a Friday and over the weekend his colon burst and put him into sepsis, it wasn't diagnosed and he almost died. This was one of the big hospitals in Philly too.

7. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, Hammie, isolated incidents, such as what happened to your friend, which, I am truely sorry they had to go through, are what they are, isolated. We in the profession call them anecdotal reports. One, time, one bad team took care of one patient and a bad outcome happened. Maybe, his illness had progressed to the point of this being highly likely to happen under even the best team's watch? Maybe I should say, why didn't your friend come into the hospital Thursday or even Wednesday?

I worked every other weekend as a PA for 10 + years of my career and take offense "that the B and C teams work the weekends"! I don't work weekends now, but trust those caring for my inpatients that I leave behind on Friday evening, they seem just fine when I get back on Monday! People get sick, we do our best to take care of them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year! Don't lump us all in under one case with "fuzzy details".

Happy to discuss rationally over a drink in LV sometime...;-)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My wife is a nurse in critical care.
    There is no A or B team
    Damn, if she works almost every weekend + MOST holidays.
    I know........cos I take care of my 5 yr old when she works.

9. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's an issue of the particular doctors or their schedules on weekends or the system itself (I don't think it's a nurse or other non-administrative staff issue) but between my diabetic (among other issues) mother-in-law and 102 year old grandmother we have spent a LOT of time in the hospital and we have noticed enough issues on weekends and late nights for us to dread going in on those times. Many times we have had to wait and wait in the hospital till a weekend is over before they actually begin to do anything. We have also often been attended to by doctors not particularly competent in our ailment until the "regular" doctor comes in on Monday. Maybe the issue is geographic or maybe if you haven't experienced it much as a patient you just haven't felt that way.

And don't give me any BS about them all being superstars because their are indeed bad nurses and bad doctors (just as in every profession).

10. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The hospital I work for uses Hospitalists 24/7. The same ones work during the week that work the weekdays. Our relief hospitalists that pick up weekends are Internal Medicine and damn good. We have 3 general surgeons with one also thoracic. We don't have specialty like GI doctors on the weekend so we have to transfer on weekends

Our patients hate to transfer but some things we can't fix. Small rural hospital. But for years we have been listed in the Top 100 in patient satisfaction. Our ER has a quick turn around and have most patients out the door in less than 2 hours. Admitted and in a bed 2-4 hours. Big city hospitals you can't even see a doctor in 6-8 hours. We see about 50 patients a day. A couple of years ago we won the Baldridge Award. Do bad outcomes still happen- yes. Bad outcomes also happen when we do everything right.

If you are looking for a good hospital check the web and I don't mean Yelp. All hospitals are ranked in several areas.

40th Wedding Anniversary if we make it that long
  11. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like maybe your Hospital is a particularly good one and an outlier. Maybe you shouldn't take offense at those of us who have had lots of experience at lesser hospitals. You very often have little or no choice on where to go. My mother in law had to be taken by ambulance from my house this morning (where they are staying due to their home being flooded by Harvey) and we had no choice on which hospital to take her to and the only one they would take us to "because the others were "too far" and "not on their list" was not a hospital we'd ever choose and now she will be there a few days while they figure out what to do. This is a hospital we've already had issues with in the past.

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for a thoughtful reply, and yes, his care could have been an outlier.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are good hospitals and bad hospitals - it is hard in the big cities when Hospitals are in a zone and local EMS can only transport in that zone. I worked for 13 years in big city county Hospital. The ER I worked in had 24 hour waits lots of times. It was awful. I used to get yelled at all the time. Got called every four letter word you can imagine. Hit, spit on, almost raped -- yeah good times there.

You/she can request a transfer but I imagine in Houston at this point it would almost be impossible. You would have to get an accepting doctor in another facility and the hospital she is in cannot request the transfer if they can provide the same services there. Well they can rquest it but most other hospitals won't take a transfer from a lateral facility. Wishing your mother in law a speedy recovery.

People should never wait if it is an Emergency. If it can wait the weekend it is probably not an Emergency. Which is why ERs get backed up. When non-emergent patients use ERs as a doctor's office.

14. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting transferred would take longer and drag out the stay. Usually she can get released the next day or day after. I think you misunderstood on the last point. I don't mean WE waited. I mean we went to the hospital on a weekend and got basically minimal to no real treatment until Monday. And we've been to quite a few of the hospitals around the Houston area so our experience isn't limited to just one or a few near us.

15. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No I understood you. And I get it about a weekend wait. Depending on a specialty or someone's preferred doctor waits happen. We have one surgeon who likes to "rest" a patient for a day or two depending on diagnosis before he operates and we have others that jump right in. Sometimes age and health or lack there of play a part.

My comment on ER wait time has more to do with the other poster and A team B team etc. The Big city ER I worked at would be equivalent to Ben Taub- a kick ass Trauma center but for everyone else - you took a number and waited. Great nurses and Doctors -- A team adrenaline junkies 24/7 but the sheer volume of patients made giving good care to everyone impossible.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I have a lower back issue goin' on and am supposed to fly to Atlanta on Saturday. My Dr. just prescribed me 5mg tablets of Prednisone. I just took my first 6, then I'll take 6 more before bedtime... tomorrow I take 5 (2xper-day), then 4 twice per day, then 3, then 2, then 1. I thought I remembered some issues about this drug here on VMB... hope I survive!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  17. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let us know how awesome you feel....

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do that too, but then knowing them I start to think I have every single one of them!!!

19. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on a very high dose of Prednisone last year. OMG I felt super-human. tons of energy, I was running around in circles, bouncing off the walls. I could not sleep, my eyes would hardly even close. and it made me very aggressive. I am not a violent person, but I was ready to lunge for the throat. my family could see it and was very worried.
    I now understand why athletes use and abuse steroids. I started tapering back even before the Doc cut me back.
    I hate taking pills!

20. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taking it for a short time with a tapering dose you will be just fine. One of the more positive side effects is that you may feel a big burst of energy and feel like you can conquer the world. On the down side you may have an insatiable appetite. This would be the time to go to a good Vegas buffet and get your moneys worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.