1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Some photos from Washington

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by ken2v, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great pics! But I got dizzy there for a second.

• Like Like x 1
  2. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well played!!

3. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beautiful photos Ken! Sometimes I miss living there but not enough to ever go back. Way too much rain. For those not from or familiar with the PNW, the first photo in Snoqualmie is very typical PNW weather even in the summer. Most sunny days are east of the mountains. A lot of people don't realize how desert like eastern WA is and that the west and east sides of the state are like two different states.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Dean. I've long debated my ability to return to the west side of the Cascades. I've lived it, I know it, still question it. My wife knows it from holidays and vacation time, and it "scares" her more than it does me. Yakima is no Bend, but we could live there, we've decided. No-tax helps, too. Eastern slope in both states has some real upside.

5. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always said "If I go back, it will be to Eastern WA". No State Income tax is definitely a plus but what's the sales tax there now? If I recall correctly, it was 9%+ when I left in 98. My old supervisor (at the time when the Navy Command I worked for was BRAC'd and moved to VA), did a pretty comprehensive report for all the employees comparing all taxes because people were concerned that VA had/has a 5% state income tax. He included all taxes; utility, fuel, sales tax and income tax. Turned out VA was a much lower tax rate overall since a lot of things you purchase here don't have a sales tax at all. One thing I noticed when we moved is that gasoline was about $.35/gal less here because of the tax WA puts on their fuel versus what VA imposes. Bottom line was in order to make a tax based comparison, you had to make sure to compare apples to apples....no WA state pun intended :)

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course you do. If sales tax wads your panties, go to Oregon. Oops, one of the highest income-tax states around and look out for property tax. Avoid CA at all cost ... except when you calculate in everything it ranks nowhere near the "worst" states for overall taxation, yet some mythically "tax-friendly" states plummet when every level of governmental exaction is calculated. Then add in heating and cooling costs across regions, food costs, whatever. And the fact that you gotta live in these places.

But that's not really the purpose of this thread.

7. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see that a few stray raindrops could shock someone who hasn't lived that way for decades. Yet we were viewing Tahoma just about the same time you were the other day. Say, I haven't had any luck yet finding out who (if anybody) distributes The Collaboration. NW Wine Cooperative (or whatever its name) doesn't say on its website. Our new Metro Market had one bottle of Owen Roe (a red, I forget which) and said more was on the way. Think I'll let things calm down a bit before pursuing anything. The place has been slammed. Even fairly busy at 6:30 am on a Sunday.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 8:07 AM
  8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Moving from the upper Midwest to the wet side of the Cascades is a weather improvement, bard!!! lol

I believe they have a facility in Prosser and are going to open one in Yakima; I emailed the winery/winemaker to get that info, I suggest the same for distribution points.