1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Some driver's licenses no longer accepted as ID on flights

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by TriggerMN, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MN is one of the states involved , under current state law they are prohibited from issuing licenses that meet the new requirements, this whole thing is about doing what you're told. No chance they'll start turning away almost everyone in those states(especially NY) anytime soon.

2. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oklahoma was one of the states on the list as well, this morning they announced we have now till Oct 2016 to use the current IDs, I don't know if that is every state on the list though.

3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that for the extra $20 or so (or whatever it is they're charging now) it's a nice backup to have. I use it as my primary ID since I don't really drive, but it's also useful as a second proof of citizenship when traveling abroad, and also if you're ever on a cruise or traveling to/from Canada, which you can use the card for instead of needing to carry your whole passport.

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More states than the four are not compliant with Real ID. The rest have extensions. Unless the feds start paying for some of the mandates, this is going to drag on for a while.

5. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Minnesota and have a regular Minnesota drivers license. I just flew from MSP to LAS this past week and the TSA people didn't blink twice when I presented my license to them. I think these regulations start don't start until next year sometime. Meanwhile our state legislators are trying to come up with fixing this problem. More than likely they will get an extension while they work things out. I fly out again the end of next month and I am not worried about getting turned away at the airport. The sky is not falling.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The new TSA rules are supposed to begin in 2016 so you shouldn't have any problems until then. Some articles say that oct 2016 is supposed to be the changeover date but I'm not sure. As we all mentioned, I seriously doubt they can enforce their new rules in those states that aren't compliant and I would expect the feds to extend the dates. A lot of the problem is that the feds aren't paying for this so each state has to come up with the money to do this, many aren't bothering until the feds pay for it. As for the sky falling, unfortunately homeland security has been regularly sending out bulletins the past 5 years trying to "scare" states to comply with the threat that their IDs will no longer be accepted with TSA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.